Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Corey Maggette rape allegations

thus will be a mess.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-09-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Thread title should immediately be clarified that it is an unspecified 1999 basketball player being accused.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

The Yahoo link is dead. What’s the story?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Yahoo link is dead. What’s the story?
    It's the feature article on the Yahoo Sports College Basketball webpage. Try this link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-basketball/

The second woman who has accused va lt governor fairfax of rape also says she was raped by a duke basketball player in 1999. And that Fairfax, who was her friend, admitted he raped her because he knew no one would believe her after she had made accusations against the basketball player the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Thread title should immediately be clarified that it is an unspecified 1999 basketball player being accused.
    Agreed. The sad fact, with how prevalent sexual assault and rape is in society, it's almost certainly the case that every varsity team and fraternity on campus could face a credible allegation. Between this situation with Justin Fairfax and the Eric Greitens (former Governor of Missouri) situation, it's a dark period for fellow alums of Sanford. My heart goes out to the victims.

This makes me very uneasy. I hope everyone on all sides treads lightly here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Agreed. The sad fact, with how prevalent sexual assault and rape is in society, it's almost certainly the case that every varsity team and fraternity on campus could face a credible allegation. Between this situation with Justin Fairfax and the Eric Greitens (former Governor of Missouri) situation, it's a dark period for fellow alums of Sanford. My heart goes out to the victims.
    I lost you here.

Fairfax is a Sanford alum.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I lost you here.
    The Sanford College of Public Policy (formerly the Sanford Institute) - Fairfax and Greitens (I'm not 100% certain about the latter) both majored in Public Policy Studies, as did I. Two of its most well-known alums and rising stars in their respective political parties are now pariahs.

Here is a statement from Ms. Watson's attorney: https://www.smithmullin.com/news/fai...credit-client/

Curious what Duke might be able to say, if anything, about the report to the dean, given education privacy laws.

I lost you here.
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...s-time-at-duke

Hopefully Duke Lacrosse and Virginia Rolling Stone have taught us all not to rush to judgement. Of course, if true, it's horrible. But we know very little right now.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Hopefully Duke Lacrosse and Virginia Rolling Stone have taught us all not to rush to judgement. Of course, if true, it's horrible. But we know very little right now.
    I hope it's not out of style to remind ourselves of Hume's advice, that a wise [person] proportions their belief to the evidence.

The Sanford College of Public Policy (formerly the Sanford Institute) - Fairfax and Greitens (I'm not 100% certain about the latter) both majored in Public Policy Studies, as did I. Two of its most well-known alums and rising stars in their respective political parties are now pariahs.
    I gotcha. Public Policy was just a major when I was there, not it’s own school. I imagine it’s named for Uncle Terry?

Interesting that they asked him to step down from the board; wonder if there are procedures (written) to force his removal if he doesn't -- are there bylaws for the board? is service for a set term?

The board is quite large -- I count 40 people even without Mr. Fairfax: https://sanford.duke.edu/about-us/in...board-visitors

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Completely agree … but I would also say that, if the story is eventually confirmed, I would hope the Duke administration gets all over it and makes as much information available as privacy laws allow, even if it hits the bball program. Please, Duke, do not put your heads in the sand and cover it up like that cesspool down the road has done multiple times over the years regarding sexual abuse allegations.

I gotcha. Public Policy was just a major when I was there, not it’s own school. I imagine it’s named for Uncle Terry?
    Yes, named after Uncle Terry.

with how prevalent sexual assault and rape is in society, it's almost certainly the case that every varsity team and fraternity on campus could face a credible allegation.
    Does this strike anyone else as an amazingly brazen and broad assumption?

This thread has the potential to quickly escalate into areas the discussion does not need to go so a General Warning is warranted as a preemptive measure.

From the Decorum and Posting Guidelines:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...before-posting!)

Rumor mongering. We're not a tabloid and we're not going to be a party to propagating rumors. If you can't find a legitimate, mainstream media outlet with the information, it's likely a rumor. Don't post it. Asking about it, stating that it's a rumor, or linking to another message board's post is still rumor mongering.
    Some topics have a history of being so inflammatory and unhelpful we'll delete them or lock them without warning and sometimes without comment. There used to be Public Policy Board (PPB) here, and due to increasingly contentious posts, the PPB was shut down. To avoid such contention, any public policy discussion may be shut down, particularly if it is not revolving around some major current event or it becomes partisan. In a similar vein, the Duke Lacrosse hoax of 2006 will not be rehashed here. If you’re new here, we’ll issue a warning; if you’ve been around a while and you ought to know better, we’ll not hesitate to issue an infraction.
    Let's keep speculation out of the discussion.
    Bob Green