Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The Chronicle article, relying on her attorney’s statement, said the rape occurred during her sophomore year and she was class of 2001. So that would mean 1998-99 team.
    Umm, the news story I read referenced the "year before" in her report of what Fairfax said to her which she reported happened during her sophomore year. So if she is class of 2001 I would have interpreted that as she stated Fairfax raped her in 98-99 and she stated that the player raped her in 97-98, but of course "the year before" could mean other things too.

Timing: https://www.smithmullin.com/news/news-releases/

"We serve as counsel for Meredith Watson, who was raped by Justin Fairfax in 2000, while they were both students at Duke University. ...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'd be surprised if Coach K has not been briefed on the matter but agree with your thoughts on his potential response. No comment was the line from the Duke Athletic Dep't when they were asked about it before the UVA game. From the Chronicle:

[/URL]
    Quick follow-up with Coach K's response to a question posed from Mike Barber, a UVA beat reporter:

"I asked Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski about allegations that one of Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax's accusers was also sexually assaulted by a Duke basketball player in 1998-99. Called the allegations "serious" and said school will respond appropriately."

Here's his twitter feed w/ additional commentary on the exchange for anyone interested. Also, Duke Basketball's twitter feed has his full response to the question posed.

https://twitter.com/RTD_MikeBarber
    https://twitter.com/dukebasketball

So True, the allegations and both parties deserve a full and fair investigation

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Hopefully Duke Lacrosse and Virginia Rolling Stone have taught us all not to rush to judgement. Of course, if true, it's horrible. But we know very little right now.
    But as I told/warned my daughter today, the one common thread of all these alleged sexual assaults in people drinking and being impaired in their thinking - whether the guy or the woman.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    In the past, this community has proven that, especially in the immediate aftermath of breaking news on certain controversial topics, it struggles to comport itself in a manner consistent with the expectations of the site admins and the Posting Guidelines. Already, moderators have had to delete several posts in this thread, and have issued warnings and citations for violations of the Guidelines.

After discussion with other moderators, I am temporarily shutting down this thread. This will give the moderator team time to discuss if and how we will address further posts on this topic. If our discussion and/or further developments in this story result in a decision to allow discussion to continue on the boards, we will reopen the thread and inform readers of expectations for the content we will allow on the boards.

Until that time, no other threads on this subject will be allowed. Anyone that creates a new thread on this subject will be warned or cited and the thread will be deleted.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

This is the last thread I wanted to start...

and if the Mods lock it quickly, they'll get no complaint from me but ESPN has a link up reporting that Maggette was the basketball player who allegedly committed the assault.

So I guess we're all getting the same push notifications from CBS sports, Yahoo sports, ESPN &c. I'm on a CHI-STL train and I got it quick as an amber alert.

Let due process run its course.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Who it was does not matter. All that matters is that K and/or other coaches in the program were hopefully unaware.
    Whoever the dean was needs to be looked into, since according to the accuser there were obviously in the know. And anyone else in that chain of knowledge needs to face the music.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Let due process run its course.
    Yup. For the record Maggette has denied the allegations.

I’ll be holding my breath on this one for awhile...

Folks, the mods are still discussing this. If we decide to reopen it, please be aware that we will not tolerate any speculation and if you chose to post, Please be exceedingly careful that your post covers only factual stuff.

There will be no warnings. Cross the line and infractions will be issued.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

After a lengthy discussion, the decision has been made to reopen this thread. But, before you start posting, please read the advice/guidelines below.

These forums are for the Duke community to chime in on events that matter to them and share in our love of Duke and Duke athletics. The mod team wants to let the community speak, but please be aware of some very strict guidelines for this topic:

1) We will not tolerate mean-spirited debates. Don't fight with each other over this.
    2) We will not allow rampant speculation about who knew what and the such. Either have facts to back up your post or don't post it.
    3) Comparisons to the Lax case are out of bounds. The community has shown it is not really capable of talking about the Lax case without getting heated and, frankly, this has nothing to do with that anyway.
    4) Unless you have something productive and thoughtful to add, hold your tongue. It is our hope that we can all focus on more positive things so don't chime in if your post isn't adding anything substantive to the discussion.
    5) A political discussion about Justin Fairfax and whether he should resign/be impeached/whatever falls under our Public Policy ban and will not be allowed.
    6) If you come close to breaking any of these rules, infractions will be handed out and posts will be deleted. There will be no warnings.
    7) If you see something you disagree with, report it right away and let the mod team handle it. We will be extra vigilant in this thread. Report before you reply and get into a squabble.

With that, I reopen the thread. I hope all of you will respect the rules we have laid out.

-Jason "nothing else to add... I won't be sad at all to see this thread fall to page 2 or 4 or 9" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    After a lengthy discussion, the decision has been made to reopen this thread. But, before you start posting, please read the advice/guidelines below.

These forums are for the Duke community to chime in on events that matter to them and share in our love of Duke and Duke athletics. The mod team wants to let the community speak, but please be aware of some very strict guidelines for this topic:

1) We will not tolerate mean-spirited debates. Don't fight with each other over this.
    2) We will not allow rampant speculation about who knew what and the such. Either have facts to back up your post or don't post it.
    3) Comparisons to the Lax case are out of bounds. The community has shown it is not really capable of talking about the Lax case without getting heated and, frankly, this has nothing to do with that anyway.
    4) Unless you have something productive and thoughtful to add, hold your tongue. It is our hope that we can all focus on more positive things so don't chime in if your post isn't adding anything substantive to the discussion.
    5) A political discussion about Justin Fairfax and whether he should resign/be impeached/whatever falls under our Public Policy ban and will not be allowed.
    6) If you come close to breaking any of these rules, infractions will be handed out and posts will be deleted. There will be no warnings.
    7) If you see something you disagree with, report it right away and let the mod team handle it. We will be extra vigilant in this thread. Report before you reply and get into a squabble.

With that, I reopen the thread. I hope all of you will respect the rules we have laid out.

-Jason "nothing else to add... I won't be sad at all to see this thread fall to page 2 or 4 or 9" Evans

In 1817, Keats used the term "negative capability" to refer to the pursuit of artistic beauty even if it leads to muddled confusion. I was an English major at Duke a million years ago, but I don't recall much beyond that.

In the mid 20th century, a psychoanalyst named Wilfred Bion redirected "negative capability" to mean the capacity to tolerate uncertainty. Bion is more in my wheelhouse than Keats, and his version of negative capability strikes me as an important capacity to pursue in life, especially when it might feel more comfortably safe to slice through ambiguity and prematurely make a decision one way or the other. I have definite feelings/thoughts about multiple aspects of this current situation, as well as longstanding fondness/respect for the '99 team, but the ambiguity and intensity remind me not just of negative capability but that such a capacity requires ongoing cultivation; the alternative is so much easier.

Interestingly (maybe; at least I find it interesting), Stanley Fish was perhaps Duke's most famous English professor. From what I understand, he argued against the concept of negative capability, believing that it led to dithering and a lack of opinion. No one viewed Fish as lacking an opinion, and he was often criticized for emphasizing subjectivism over reality and careful scholarship. Fish was at Duke through 1998, during which time his English department was radically revamped, for better or worse. I don't know much of what happened to the department after he left, but it seems likely that he left behind a generation of faculty who might have been encouraged to drive outside their academic lanes if they felt like it. Such freewheeling might have contributed to some earlier incidents when faculty went rogue.

From my limited understanding, "negative capability" is one way to prevent such errors of prematurity in this and other areas of life.
    Last edited by johnb; 02-12-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In 1817, Keats used the term "negative capability" to refer to the pursuit of artistic beauty even if it leads to muddled confusion. I was an English major at Duke a million years ago, but I don't recall much beyond that.

In the mid 20th century, a psychoanalyst named Wilfred Bion redirected "negative capability" to mean the capacity to tolerate uncertainty. Bion is more in my wheelhouse than Keats, and his version of negative capability strikes me as an important capacity to pursue in life, especially when it might feel more comfortably safe to slice through ambiguity and prematurely make a decision one way or the other. I have definite feelings/thoughts about multiple aspects of this current situation, as well as longstanding fondness/respect for the '99 team, but the ambiguity and intensity remind me not just of negative capability but that such a capacity requires ongoing cultivation; the alternative is so much easier.

Interestingly (maybe; at least I find it interesting), Stanley Fish was perhaps Duke's most famous English professor. From what I understand, he argued against the concept of negative capability, believing that it led to dithering and a lack of opinion. No one viewed Fish as lacking an opinion, and he was often criticized for emphasizing subjectivism over reality and careful scholarship. Fish was at Duke through 1998, during which time his English department was radically revamped, for better or worse. I don't know much of what happened to the department after he left, but it seems likely that he left behind a generation of faculty who might have been encouraged to drive outside their academic lanes if they felt like it. Such freewheeling might have contributed to some earlier incidents when faculty went rogue.

From my limited understanding, "negative capability" is one way to prevent such errors of prematurity in this and other areas of life.
    Every once in a while- Stanley Fish would come over to East to play pick up basketball. He must have been in his late 50’s back in the 90’s. I remember thinking he was a tough old guy - and not very tall- playing with younger players. Now that I am past the age he was then- I am even more impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I believe you'll get your wish, Jason. I'm not sure how one can post in this thread at all without violating one of the rules (rules that I agree with, in case anyone thinks I'm being critical). For example, since no one knows anything, any discussion would get into the realm of speculation fairly quickly. And if the idea is just to report and react to news items / facts, we might not get another one for awhile since the name of the accused has already been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I believe you'll get your wish, Jason. I'm not sure how one can post in this thread at all without violating one of the rules (rules that I agree with, in case anyone thinks I'm being critical). For example, since no one knows anything, any discussion would get into the realm of speculation fairly quickly. And if the idea is just to report and react to news items / facts, we might not get another one for awhile since the name of the accused has already been released.
    Agree with this...the rules pretty much disallow any commenting at this point...and I'm fine with that. Not that Jason cares if I'm fine with it or not, just clarifying that I am in no way criticizing the moderator decision here. Quite the opposite.

On a randier board, this kind of thread might work. Seems no way to stay within DBR decorum on this topic.

I am sorry if the guidelines seem to prohibit any conversation. Obviously, we did not reopen the thread out of a desire to see no posts in it. If you have something to say, do not be afraid to say it.

I will add that if folks want, they can PM any mod with what they plan to post and we can clear it in advance. Lots of folks do that in the political threads on the off-topic board.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Agree with this...the rules pretty much disallow any commenting at this point...and I'm fine with that. Not that Jason cares if I'm fine with it or not, just clarifying that I am in no way criticizing the moderator decision here. Quite the opposite.

On a randier board, this kind of thread might work. Seems no way to stay within DBR decorum on this topic.
    Agreed with that. But I do think it is an important topic for basically "THE" Duke basketball forum to have open, otherwise it gives off a distasteful appearance of burying heads in the sand. Kudos to the mods for opening it back up, and for laying the clear ground rules.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."