Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 87, Miami 57 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The Jack attack is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    The Jack attack is back!
    He was soooooo angry during the game. He didn’t care he made 3 point shots. Love that attitude.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Let’s get all the negatives out of the way with one post, then we can discuss what actually happened. First, we really suck without Zion. We only beat Miami by 30 - are you kidding me, Miami. We should have won by (fill in the blank). Secondly, K got out-coached yet again. Will he never learn to run plays and develop his bench? Third, Dick Vitale’s broadcasting was awful - it doesn’t matter that he wasn’t there - it was awful. Did I miss anything? Discuss.

Awesome performance by everyone. Nice to have an easy game to get back some of our swagger. Lykes is going to have nightmares about Jones in his face for weeks. Bolden was really solid and of course Barrett was amazing.

If Zion being out leads to the emergence of O’Connell and Jack and to a lesser extent Bolden (who has already been on an upward trajectory when Zion went out) then we could come back stronger. Barrett has also developed into more of a playmaker in Zion’s absence. Really hope we get the big guy back for our last home game vs. Wake.

This game will turn out to be crucial because we got Jack back on the right track. This could be huge. I liked our defensive pressure in the first half.

Cam’s play shows me if he’s properly aggressive in going to the hoop, his total game goes better. He needs an inside out balance to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Let’s get all the negatives out of the way with one post, then we can discuss what actually happened. First, we really suck without Zion. We only beat Miami by 30 - are you kidding me, Miami. We should have won by (fill in the blank). Secondly, K got out-coached yet again. Will he never learn to run plays and develop his bench? Third, Dick Vitale’s broadcasting was awful - it doesn’t matter that he wasn’t there - it was awful. Did I miss anything? Discuss.
    Who the heck are you to appoint yourself the conscience of the website? I think the discussion that goes is insightful and cogent and am happy to read the mostly well thought out opinions of others.

Miami was succotashed by our defense, whcih was led by our baby lima, Tre Jones.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Who the heck are you to appoint yourself the conscience of the website? I think the discussion that goes is insightful and cogent and am happy to read the mostly well thought out opinions of others.
    Dude, comedy. Get a sense of humor

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Huh?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Miami was succotashed by our defense, whcih was led by our baby lima, Tre Jones.
    Lima beans are the worst beans.
    Convince me otherwise 🤣

Hey guys, just woke up from a coma. Glad to see Jack White continues to knock down threes.

The best thing about this game was Jack White hitting 3-3 3FGs. Everything else was gravy. J/k, sorta.
    Also important, Big 'Ques had probably his best game in a Duke uniform, getting the double double!
    It was nice to see that Vrank, J-Gold, J-Bake also got some run. Vrank got a bucket a board and an assist, while J-Gold grabbed 4 boards!!! Start him at C!!!! Too bad Joey couldn't get in on the shooting action, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
    Very satisfying win, we jumped on them early and never let up. Also, it must be mentioned what a fabulous job Tre did defending Chris Lykes. Tre took him completely out of the game, and Miami had no options after him. Also nice to see Tre have a decent game shooting the ball after his recent woes. Unfortunately his low a/to streak over the last few games continues...

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Hey guys, just woke up from a coma. Glad to see Jack White continues to knock down threes.
    Welcome back, Mr. Van Winkle!

Lykes

Great game, but the job on Lykes was simply amazing. 1 for 15?

And great to see that Jack’s shot came back from down under or wherever it went.

Nice to have an easy one. One tiny complaint...Go easy on me. I thought Baker should have been out there for the last ten minutes. Why Reddish was in the game with a couple of minutes to go escapes my very limited understanding.

The redshirt is gone. Let's give Baker a chance in a game that was well in hand.

I know Coach K is the greatest and I concur but...

Of course this could all have been a master plot to shake AOC & Jack out of their slump..

5 thoughts (really not much to say given the competition):

1. RJ was RJ. I was pulling for another triple double.

2. Good double-double game by Bolden.

3. Was hoping to see Baker more. I'd like to see what the player has in terms of shooting the 3.

4. Nice to see White off the schneid... Liked AOC's dunk... Jones played great D on Lykes. Given the stiffs that UM had on the court, it must have been easy to focus.

5. Other than Pitt last year, I don't think I've seen a worse ACC team play in a long while. I haven't seen them play another game this year, so I'm assuming being down to 7 scholarship players really hurt them. But boy, they were right up there with the other cupcakes Duke played this year. I hope playing Miami and Wake doesn't take the edge off going into next weekend.

9F. Go Tigers.
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Awesome performance by everyone. Nice to have an easy game to get back some of our swagger. Lykes is going to have nightmares about Jones in his face for weeks. Bolden was really solid and of course Barrett was amazing.

If Zion being out leads to the emergence of O’Connell and Jack and to a lesser extent Bolden (who has already been on an upward trajectory when Zion went out) then we could come back stronger. Barrett has also developed into more of a playmaker in Zion’s absence. Really hope we get the big guy back for our last home game vs. Wake.
    There were some questions about whether Tre could handle a small super quick PG like Lykes. The answer was clearly yess as Tre pressure him effectively all day, in fact the team defense was excellent, especially considering the sheer number of variations that coach K was able to put on the floor.

RJ played a great game with ball handling, incredible scoring and passing plus he was sticking his nose in there on defense and for rebounding.

Cam was very good today but still a cut below RJ in finishing ability and ball handling. The two combined are matchup nightmares for teams to deal with and we have Ziion coming back.

Bolden is playing his best ball for the last few games and today built on that. He hedges well and still can be a rim protector. Marques is one of our better foul shooters these days as well. Marques play has pushed Javin to a backup role and of course we need him to give us depth.

Tre did give us some offense today and didn't try to do it from downtown. He seemed to share the ball handling role with RJ and it was effective.

Perhaps not many will share my enthusiasm over Alex play, but in him I see the athletic ability to do much more than he is currently doing. It may be next year before he gains the confidence to think of himself as an important scorer for the team, but the talent and athletic ability is there.

Jack White finally broke out of his slump and did it in a big way. I think he hit 3 for 3 today. Great to see him do that and if can shoot well from 3 along with his very sound defense, he gives us yet another player who can allow us to rest some of our key players, especially in the tournaments where there is not a lot of time between games.

All-in-all, a very good game against an overmatched team. Maybe we will see Zion return for the Wake game and that can get him and the team back in sync before facing UNC in Chapel Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Great game, but the job on Lykes was simply amazing. 1 for 15?

And great to see that Jack’s shot came back from down under or wherever it went.
    Jack White making 3 for 3 was excellent. He has very good form in his shot. Duke needs all the good shooting it can get.Bolden has been improving every game.
    Duke needs some easy wins. Very satisfying day for this fan. All of the board members that whine about negativity, it is just fans being passionate. We all want Duke to win and get better.

Lots of fun in this one. Jack White finding his shot was obviously a huge story. As was Bolden having a huge game. As was us not settling for jumpers. I thought this was one of the best games Cam Reddish has had. He was terrific off the dribble. He was generally under control and really effective. He and Barrett were an awesome one-two punch. The defense was stifling. Jones had a sloppy game with the ball, but he was amazing on defense. And O’Connell was effective on offense as more than just a shooter.

Fun, comfy win. Looking forward to next week. Hopefully Zion comes back then.