Frank Robinson, RIP

that man was tough as nails...great great player.

RIP.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Oh my. A legendary player and great man.
    God rest his soul.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I think Frank Robinson might be the most underappreciated ballplayer in my lifetime. He wasn't exactly on the same level as Aaron or Mays or Mantle, but that isn't a crime. When MLB had that ridiculous fan voting for the so-called "Team of the Century" back in 1999, not only did Robby not get selected by the fans, but he didn't even get added to the list by the special committee that was there to fix the REALLY big oversights (like Musial, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn, Lefty Grove. Even Honus Wagner wasn't voted in my these fans.) And those same fans voted for Pete Rose. And Mark McGwire.

Anyway, Robinson was a feared hitter who crowded the plate and would hit even better after a pitcher knocked him down. He was also a fearsome baserunner, and a darn good outfielder.

RIP

A tough, proud, competitive man with huge skills.
    He won a triple crown leading Baltimore to the World Championship, was the first African-American manager and then was manager of the year.
    One of the greats

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I think Frank Robinson might be the most underappreciated ballplayer in my lifetime. He wasn't exactly on the same level as Aaron or Mays or Mantle, but that isn't a crime. When MLB had that ridiculous fan voting for the so-called "Team of the Century" back in 1999, not only did Robby not get selected by the fans, but he didn't even get added to the list by the special committee that was there to fix the REALLY big oversights (like Musial, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn, Lefty Grove. Even Honus Wagner wasn't voted in my these fans.) And those same fans voted for Pete Rose. And Mark McGwire.

Anyway, Robinson was a feared hitter who crowded the plate and would hit even better after a pitcher knocked him down. He was also a fearsome baserunner, and a darn good outfielder.

RIP
    Which outfielder would you have replaced with FRobinson? (Rose was the tenth outfielder, more of a multi position player than OF.)

Before he was an Oriole, he was a Cincinnati Red. As a 20 year old rookie he hit 38 home runs in the old Crosley Field. He won an NL MVP, a Gold Glove, and was a 5 time All-star while there. More importantly, as a human being he was class act.

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Which outfielder would you have replaced with FRobinson? (Rose was the tenth outfielder, more of a multi position player than OF.)
    Rose.