Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cam Reddish

Cam Reddish

Coach K compared Cam to Grant. There isn't higher praise.

Cam's had ups and downs, and we debate whether he warrants being drafted in the top 5 or 10. Maybe he needs to take better shots, make quicker decisions, gain confidence, and learn to take over games. All of those are things that can be learned, however, and maybe--in the old days--he'd be learning those things over the next few years while playing with such alternative reality teammates as Messrs. Bagley, Carter, Tatum, and Giles.

Last night's game made me think that maybe, just maybe, he's now completed his freshman season, and Cam is now ready to transition into being a star.

To remind myself of the pre-season Cam who shot >50% from 3 for Team USA, I looked up some old articles...

This article is from less than a year ago (written by Mr. Jason King). In high school, he had 100,000 instagram followers, had a Sports Illustrated video team do a documentary on his junior-year team, and had lunch with LeBron (and LeBron's agent--legal to do).
    The title? Cam Reddish Is Going to Be a Star, but Not the Kind You're Used To
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Here's an article that Cam, himself, wrote for the Players Tribune. It includes his announcement that he'd be attending Duke (Sept 2017):
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...tball-decision

In this article (Nov 2017), his coach (Seth Berger) describes how it took some time for underclassman Cam to get comfortable playing with such high profile players as Mohamed Bamba (Texas/Orlando) and Brandon Randolph (Arizona).
    "Eventually, Berger saw progress. Reddish started to get more comfortable initiating the offense, using his size to see over the top of any defender, and his vision to feed the team’s other stars. Suddenly Westtown had an oversized lead guard who was learning to strike a balance of when to score and when to facilitate. It culminated in back-to-back state titles.

Reddish is still trying to be a “next play” guy. Where scouts might see a lack of constant competitiveness, Berger sees a kind, gentle kid who demands excellence out of himself."
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...usa-basketball

I don't know how the next month will go, but if I'm surprised, I bet it's to the upside.

Grant comparison

To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense. Still high praise, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense. Still high praise, however.
    Agreed. I really do like what I saw from his drives in this past game.

Previously, he usually drove into the lane and lost the ball like a running back with fumble-itis, but this game, he may have learned a thing or two from RJ in using his arms/body to better protect the ball while driving/taking steps before leaping and extending his hands for the shot/lay up.

I thought it led to better finishing attempts and FTs which have improved a lot for him.

To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense.
    It would be hard to compare on offense since Grant did not shoot hardly any 3's as a freshman. IIRC, Grant only started shooting many 3's as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It would be hard to compare on offense since Grant did not shoot hardly any 3's as a freshman. IIRC, Grant only started shooting many 3's as a senior.
    That's what I recall as well, as he became, in the words of Clark Kellogg - a "stat sheet stuffer..."

And I think Cam is gonna stuff the stat sheet a little more going forward...I think he's on the upward track...

Not just that

True, but Grant was often the backup point guard. In the finals against Kansas, he did a lot of the ballhandling in the final minutes, when Kansas was trapping and pressing. I don't see Cam doing that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's what I recall as well, as he became, in the words of Clark Kellogg - a "stat sheet stuffer..."
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers
    True, but Grant was often the backup point guard. In the finals against Kansas, he did a lot of the ballhandling in the final minutes, when Kansas was trapping and pressing.
    IMO, Grant's freshman team did not need him taking 3's and did need him taking it to the rim. Bobby could hit the 3, Christian could pull out bigs and hit a 3, McCaffrey could nail 3's (but, his D), and Thomas Hill could hit 3's.

I feel if we are going to compete for the Natty, we need his out side shooting. Very critical.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Coach K compared Cam to Grant. There isn't higher praise.

Cam's had ups and downs, and we debate whether he warrants being drafted in the top 5 or 10. Maybe he needs to take better shots, make quicker decisions, gain confidence, and learn to take over games. All of those are things that can be learned, however, and maybe--in the old days--he'd be learning those things over the next few years while playing with such alternative reality teammates as Messrs. Bagley, Carter, Tatum, and Giles.

Last night's game made me think that maybe, just maybe, he's now completed his freshman season, and Cam is now ready to transition into being a star.

To remind myself of the pre-season Cam who shot >50% from 3 for Team USA, I looked up some old articles...

This article is from less than a year ago (written by Mr. Jason King). In high school, he had 100,000 instagram followers, had a Sports Illustrated video team do a documentary on his junior-year team, and had lunch with LeBron (and LeBron's agent--legal to do).
    The title? Cam Reddish Is Going to Be a Star, but Not the Kind You're Used To
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Here's an article that Cam, himself, wrote for the Players Tribune. It includes his announcement that he'd be attending Duke (Sept 2017):
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...tball-decision

In this article (Nov 2017), his coach (Seth Berger) describes how it took some time for underclassman Cam to get comfortable playing with such high profile players as Mohamed Bamba (Texas/Orlando) and Brandon Randolph (Arizona).
    "Eventually, Berger saw progress. Reddish started to get more comfortable initiating the offense, using his size to see over the top of any defender, and his vision to feed the team’s other stars. Suddenly Westtown had an oversized lead guard who was learning to strike a balance of when to score and when to facilitate. It culminated in back-to-back state titles.

Reddish is still trying to be a “next play” guy. Where scouts might see a lack of constant competitiveness, Berger sees a kind, gentle kid who demands excellence out of himself."
    [url]https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/11/2/16536978/cameron-reddish-duke-recruiting-nba-draft-2019-usa-basketball[/ur very goodl]

I don't know how the next month will go, but if I'm surprised, I bet it's to the upside.
    My guess is that Cam is making gradual improvements to his game by learning what works on offense and what doesn't. His defense is already very good, but the offense can take longer. He will have setbacks as his game improves and we should expect those, but the trend is up. Good for him and for the team.

IMO, Grant's freshman team did not need him taking 3's and did need him taking it to the rim. Bobby could hit the 3, Christian could pull out bigs and hit a 3, McCaffrey could nail 3's (but, his D), and Thomas Hill could hit 3's.
    Don’t forget Koubek...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Don’t forget Koubek...
    My memory is fading, but isn’t Koubek a good comp for Jack White? Maybe Koubek more consistent?

Koubek?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    My memory is fading, but isn’t Koubek a good comp for Jack White? Maybe Koubek more consistent?
    Koubek, especially in 90-91, was anything but consistent. At the beginning of the year, he about washed out of the rotation. I remember seeing him against Georgetown at the old Cap Center. He was totally lost. He improved over the course of the year, luckily.

Don’t forget Koubek...
    My strong apologies!

Koubek, especially in 90-91, was anything but consistent. At the beginning of the year, he about washed out of the rotation. I remember seeing him against Georgetown at the old Cap Center. He was totally lost. He improved over the course of the year, luckily.
    He didn’t shoot a lot but he shot over 40% on 3s his last two seasons including 42% in 90-91

Koubek

He didn’t shoot a lot but he shot over 40% on 3s his last two seasons including 42% in 90-91
    My point was only that his overall play was horribly inconsistent. His shooting may have been more consistent than Jack's, but Jack's defense and rebounding have been consistent.

He got us off with a couple of quick 3's in that Kansas Natty game IIRC....

Ah, memory!

He got us off with a couple of quick 3's in that Kansas Natty game IIRC...
    Actually, he only hit one three and had only five points for the game. I think they all came in the first minutes or so.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...4-01-duke.html

So glad this is a thread.

I regularly listen to Sam Vecenie’s Game Theory podcast (lots of drive time).

He is very very knowledgeable and worth listening to. I don’t always love his guests but he knows his stuff. Regarding Cam, he has said all year he’s a top five talent. Recently he stressed that scouts don’t just judge him by this year (as so many here are doing) but his full body of work. Years of playing in HS, Nike, Team USA etc, plus Duke. After ALL of that, Cam is a top five player even with his recent short term struggles shooting and fitting in on an offense where he is the third option. Ask Chris Bosh if that affects your game. Game Theory even mentioned in passing that Cam is playing out of position and that too is causing him challenges. They didn’t elaborate on that but worth passing on.

It may just be a couple of games but we may be seeing soft spoken young man who is trying to find his space on this team. His effort was questioned as a recruit. I’ve never seen that as a problem. Defense is about effort and he’s been consistently good if not very good. So too is RB and he’s good there also. The last game or two he is even driving more with more confidence and getting the the FT line where he is good. He has a ton to add and the ACC has to hope he doesn’t hit full stride soon because they are already top five in offense and defense. If Cam shift to another gear, this team becomes nearly unguardable.

Actually, he only hit one three and had only five points for the game. I think they all came in the first minutes or so.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...4-01-duke.html
    Yeah, I thought about it and I think he had the first 5 points of the game...for Duke. A 3 and a 2, not a pair of threes. Those were big buckets, breaking the ice for a team that was still exhausted physically and emotionally from the UNLV game.

Yep

Yeah, I thought about it and I think he had the first 5 points of the game...for Duke. A 3 and a 2, not a pair of threes. Those were big buckets, breaking the ice for a team that was still exhausted physically and emotionally from the UNLV game.
    I remember he got an offensive rebound off a badly missed Duke shot and put it back in to start the scoring. Wonder if my memory is right?