Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Your dryer​ had water leaks?
    Many new dryers have a steam cycle. The tub doesn’t fill with water like an old school washer, but there is a water line. Not sure if that was DD’s issue, of if by “dryer” he meant “upstairs kegerator.”
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    You're reading the intent of my post all wrong. Maybe it's because I buried the lede, but I at this point support this thread staying open and think it's harmless, really. (Not that my opinion matters). The mods already ruled so you have nothing to worry about.

My point was only that there is no "cup of tea" precedent or "lifestyle and science" bylaw governing the continuance or closure of threads. My examples were merely to demonstrate that.

Sometimes moderating is art, not science, and I support our moderators' decision.
    I think you need to learn to write a lot more clearly because I read it exactly the way Mtn Devil did. And though unlike others, I do not usually keep track of other people's postings, I recall this happening with you in the past. The passive aggressive contrarian posts really are not appreciated. And the examples you cited were really pretty lousy and really weakened your argument. I am all for healthy discussion and debate but that is not what you seem to be doing (and if you are trying to do it, you are not doing it well).

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Many new dryers have a steam cycle. The tub doesn’t fill with water like an old school washer, but there is a water line. Not sure if that was DD’s issue, of if by “dryer” he meant “upstairs kegerator.”
    Sounds too complicated to me (I really did not know that was a thing, I was legitimately confused about a water leak from a dryer, thanks for clarifying). All I ask of my dryer is that it blow hot air on my clothes until they're dry. It does have a knob for setting heat to Low, Medium, or High but as best I can tell it is decorative because it seems to put out the same amount of heat regardless of setting. These fancy-pants steam cycles are asking for trouble, if you ask me (and you didn't).

Sounds too complicated to me (I really did not know that was a thing, I was legitimately confused about a water leak from a dryer, thanks for clarifying). All I ask of my dryer is that it blow hot air on my clothes until they're dry. It does have a knob for setting heat to Low, Medium, or High but as best I can tell it is decorative because it seems to put out the same amount of heat regardless of setting. These fancy-pants steam cycles are asking for trouble, if you ask me (and you didn't).
    Oh, I agree. The utility of the steam cycle is outweighed by another hose that can break upstairs, if you ask me. Which my wife didn’t.

Your dryer​ had water leaks?

FWIW, if you already have the connections you should be able to self-install. If you don't already have the connections...yeah not something I would trust to techs from Lowes/Sears/whatever.

For the poster in need of a new dryer, given that there aren't necessarily huge differences in efficiency for dryers, you might also consider checking out any Re-Store (or similar) locations near you, a local appliance refurb company, or even Craigslist. Re-Store will deliver, and if you buy from an appliance restoration company on Craigslist they probably will too. I got a refurbed washer/dryer set from an appliance refurb company I found through Craigslist and it ran great for 5 years, at which point I sold them still in good working order for about $30 less than what I paid for them. Paid $300 for the set, included delivery, install and a 1 year full warranty. You can save a whole lot of money buying used without major problems.

If you really want to go cheap, people will frequently list dryers and other large appliances for free on Craigslist if you are willing to pick up because they are moving or getting new ones and need to get rid of the old ones fast. To tie this directly back to the thread, this is a great way to reduce/reuse/recycle!
    Lowe's installed a too long, flexible dryer vent (we requested metal) instead of a proper length metal vent. This did not allow the proper air speed and/or temperature to dry the tubing from our "in the ceiling" dryer vent to the outside/escape vent. Condensation accumulated over months, escaped from the "in the ceiling" tubing and leaked out causing several areas of water damage in our family room ceiling. Fooled our handyman twice but didn't fool our plumbing person who blamed the dryer vent. (I'm somewhat mechanically challenged.) When we told family/friends about it, they had never heard/seen that before either .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

LOL.

We do not have an "upstairs kegerator." The Ymm, Beer supplies are either in the kitchen fridge, the garage fridge or boxes in the "cellar" (aka as our garage ).

You'd have to know Mrs. dd to understand the "no kegerator" policy at home.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Timing is everything.
    Our clothes dryer died.

Anyone have an energy efficient dryer they like?

Its been over a decade since we bought new washers and dryers.
    At that point, LG had good features and price point.

Holy cow are dryers expensive.
    Don't know if you have a Menards in your area but my nephew picked up a new washer there for under $100 - as I recall it was outside in their returns/scratch and dent area. Works great.

Oh, I agree. The utility of the steam cycle is outweighed by another hose that can break upstairs, if you ask me. Which my wife didn’t.
    Not nearly as bad as the hot water heater in the attic crap that some builders seem to think is a good idea.

Has anyone installed a tankless water heater? Would be interested in doing that when I have to replace mine the next time - possibly before. Do they work well if hot water is being used by multiple sources at the same time. Do you have to have special venting for it? Does it really save energy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Has anyone installed a tankless water heater? Would be interested in doing that when I have to replace mine the next time - possibly before. Do they work well if hot water is being used by multiple sources at the same time. Do you have to have special venting for it? Does it really save energy, etc.
    We had one installed a bout a year ago at our NC coast home that we share with another couple. I think it was about $2000-2500 more but we split the cost and estimate we're saving about $100/month (total) on our gas/heating bill and will recover those costs in about two years. You have to wait for about two minutes for the water to heat up before showering (inconvenient but tolerable) but, when it gets hot, it's really hot. We haven't had multiple sources using at once and don't think we had special venting. I'm guessing it's a nice energy savings as the water is now not being heated 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We had one installed a bout a year ago at our NC coast home that we share with another couple. I think it was about $2000-2500 more but we split the cost and estimate we're saving about $100/month (total) on our gas/heating bill and will recover those costs in about two years. You have to wait for about two minutes for the water to heat up before showering (inconvenient but tolerable) but, when it gets hot, it's really hot. We haven't had multiple sources using at once and don't think we had special venting. I'm guessing it's a nice energy savings as the water is now not being heated 24/7.
    Delay for hot water doesn't seem much longer than I currently wait - I'll have to time it. My shower is two stories above the water heater so, in the winter, the water has to go through quite a bit of cold piping. (My heat goes down to 64 overnight.)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My parents have one and while I don't pay the bills over there so can't speak to cost, but I have showered over there occasionally and I can say that there is no problem with multiple people showering at once. I can't imagine any other appliances (dishwasher, clothes washer) making much of an impact there either.

They also had some kind of switch installed under the bathroom sink that "primes" the heater or something so that the hot water kicks in faster (rather than having to let the shower run until it heats up). Theirs also doesn't seem to take as long to heat up as DD's even without using the priming switch (I would say more like 30 seconds than 2 minutes) but that is probably dependent partly on the heater and partly on the plumbing of the house.

I had one in a rental once and it was amazing. Plenty of hot water, no tank of hot water sitting for days if you go out of town.

Much much more expensive as I recall from the last time my owned hot water heater sprung a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I had one in a rental once and it was amazing. Plenty of hot water, no tank of hot water sitting for days if you go out of town.

Much much more expensive as I recall from the last time my owned hot water heater sprung a leak.
    Another factor for our choice was the brilliant (cough) plan of the original owner and his builder to put the 120 gallon hot water heater in the storage space adjacent to the loft 18 years ago when the house was built. We had a HWH develop a small leak/rupture in our primary residence about a decade ago, dumping 50-60 gallons of water onto our cement-floored storage area under our house with minimal damage.

So, we went from Climate Change to clothes dryers...lol Anyway, I suppose there's a connection there somewhere.
    Look folks, you know as well as I that there are two schools of thought on this subject, and I knew when I entered this fray I would be heavily outnumbered.
    But that's never concerned me one bit.
    I do apologize if some of my quotes were somewhat out of line, after all, we all pull for Duke, we can agree on that.

Had a friend get one. Cost him more - he had teens that never left the shower as they never ran out of hot water!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    So, we went from Climate Change to clothes dryers...lol Anyway, I suppose there's a connection there somewhere.
    Look folks, you know as well as I that there are two schools of thought on this subject, and I knew when I entered this fray I would be heavily outnumbered.
    But that's never concerned me one bit.
    I do apologize if some of my quotes were somewhat out of line, after all, we all pull for Duke, we can agree on that.
    Well, the discussion of climate change was the specified non-intention of the thread, whereas eco-friendly appliances are squarely in the cross hairs.

The fact that you see this as being about "being outnumbered" means you still don't quite get it. This thread isn't about picking sides or being political, but rather about things one can do to lessen the impact on the environment.

I really wanted one, but at the time I looked at it, it required that it be installed on a wall that connects to the outside of the house. I don't know if that's still the case. I wanted it because my Jacuzzi takes more water than the hot water can fill unless I keep it waaaay hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, the discussion of climate change was the specified non-intention of the thread, whereas eco-friendly appliances are squarely in the cross hairs.

The fact that you see this as being about "being outnumbered" means you still don't quite get it. This thread isn't about picking sides or being political, but rather about things one can do to lessen the impact on the environment.
    Gotcha. This thread is for believers only. That's fine. It's easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Gotcha. This thread is for believers only. That's fine. It's easier that way.
    Well.. Yeah.