Thread: Climate Change

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    It was merely an effort to show that the bear is doing better than people are led to believe. We can agree to disagree. I think for one thing, there are other creatures with a much worse situation than the polar bear, yet nothing is ever said about them. Lions, for example. Over 70% of sub Saharan populations have disappeared in the last two decades. The Indian lion has a population of only around 400, all in the Gir Forest. Plans are to establish another population, but the area chosen contains Bengal tigers, which being endangered themselves, would constitute a threat to the lions, as the tigers are bigger and more powerful and could kill the lions, if met in a one on one scenario.
    Someone referenced Bill Nye. He's not a scientist...
    Nobody claimed he is/was. He is a science communicator and it's literally his job to explain this type of stuff. Nearly every science is complex and takes years of study and many scientists don't communicate their jobs to the public very well because they are used to working along side others knowledgeable in that particular field. Hence why we have science communicators, to take the knowledge of a scientific field and convert it so that a layman can understand it and hopefully enjoy it.
    He has the backing of the science community and a resume to back it up as well.

I referenced Mr. Nye only to point out a common theme I've been noticing. The most common CC denier argument I hear is that "the planet goes through patterns, etc... It's all natural." This statement is generally said because either the person has no clue what they are talking about or they are don't understand that the rate of the change is the real threat. This was very obvious in the Nye discussion with Tucker, he couldn't get Tucker to fully understand the rate of change is what's important.
    Last edited by JNort; 02-04-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking