Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Don’t worry, everyone believes in and follows science.
    I'm trying to do my part, lowering my meat consumption.

Instead of sacrificing a goat to the sun god I am going with cauliflower this year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The situation in the western part of the country could be facing some really dire conditions in just the next couple years if something doesn't change rather drastically.
    The falling water levels at Lake Powell, the second-largest man-made reservoir in the US, could make the dam's hydroelectric power generation impossible as soon as next year, according to new projections released Wednesday by the US Bureau of Reclamation.

The new modeling shows a 3% chance that Lake Powell, which is located on the Colorado River from northern Arizona to southern Utah, could drop below the minimum level needed to allow the lake's Glen Canyon Dam to generate hydroelectricity next year.
    In 2023, the chance of a shutdown grows to 34%, according to the projection.
    That would put a very large chunk of the country in the literal dark.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/weath...ook/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The situation in the western part of the country could be facing some really dire conditions in just the next couple years if something doesn't change rather drastically.

That would put a very large chunk of the country in the literal dark.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/weath...ook/index.html
    Add in the 1.3 million from the Hoover Dam. Water is going to be a tough resource to come by in 20 years out that way.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Add in the 1.3 million from the Hoover Dam. Water is going to be a tough resource to come by in 20 years out that way.
    From the article...
    There is also a greater than 1-in-5 chance that water levels in Lake Mead will fall below 1,000 feet above sea level in 2025. That is barely 100 feet above what is considered "dead pool," the level at which water can no longer flow through Hoover Dam.
    That's far less than 20 years. You are tuned in better than most of us, what's the discussion there? (If there is one?) If I were looking at the prospect of my home and career literally drying up, I'd be more than nervous.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

From the article...

That's far less than 20 years. You are tuned in better than most of us, what's the discussion there? (If there is one?) If I were looking at the prospect of my home and career literally drying up, I'd be more than nervous.
    Pretty embarrassed that I read that article quickly and didn’t even catch the lake mead part.

People really didn’t seem too concerned with running out of water. It was on the news every couple of months but I think they always said Vegas had enough water to last 8-10 years or so even if another drop never landed in lake mead. They reclaim something like 90% of used water and pay people pretty good to tear up grass in their yards and throw rock down.

Pretty embarrassed that I read that article quickly and didn’t even catch the lake mead part.

People really didn’t seem too concerned with running out of water. It was on the news every couple of months but I think they always said Vegas had enough water to last 8-10 years or so even if another drop never landed in lake mead. They reclaim something like 90% of used water and pay people pretty good to tear up grass in their yards and throw rock down.
    That's great, but it seems shortsighted. I mean, how nice is a rock strewn lawn in the desert when you are staring at it from your electricity free house?

PS, one of my college/art school dorm mates is a great artist, naturalist, and by chance happens to live in Vegas. ON A GOLF COURSE, ha!
    She spends all of her free time either hiking in the mountains around Lake Mead, or painting from images influenced by her hikes. She's seen and knows of the waterdrop in true first hand sense. I need to have a long chat with her about how she's feeling about their (her and hubby's) future there. They both moved from Pa, and have been there now for 20 years.
    I know she loves it; I just can't imagine witnessing that kind of change and not seeing much optimism on the horizon first hand.

She's told me that during the summer, they basically live in a cave. Window blinds drawn, lights off. That's not a way I can imagine living.

She's told me that during the summer, they basically live in a cave. Window blinds drawn, lights off. That's not a way I can imagine living.
    How is that different than living in NC? We do the exact same thing during the summer.

I saw an interesting argument made to those against climate change, it was a rephrasing of Pascal's wager:

If you take climate change seriously and are wrong, what do you lose?
    If you don't take climate change seriously and are wrong, what do you lose?

I found it though provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I saw an interesting argument made to those against climate change, it was a rephrasing of Pascal's wager:

Indeed. The big difference being that we have a whole boatload of empirical data to support one hypothesis and virtually no empirical data to support the existence (or nonexistence) of God Unlike the original wager The outcomes are not equally likely or unlikely.

Now let’s talk about the Prosperity
    Gospel…

I’d probably rephrase it even more. One of the challenges of climate change is that each of us contributes in a very small way but the most severe climate changes will be realized by future generations. So, it’s “…what do future generations lose…”. Inter generational morality questions are tough for a lot of folks to wrap their head’s around.

All of this is moot, we’re well on our way to blow past the atmospheric PPM concentrations that would keep us below the IPCCC 1.5 degree Celsius target to limit the worst impacts of climate change. We’re into adaptation, not mitigation.

It is indeed an interesting way of looking at it, but not for the reasons most people here would imagine.

It's just more evidence of how poor most people are at risk evaluation.

That's great, but it seems shortsighted. I mean, how nice is a rock strewn lawn in the desert when you are staring at it from your electricity free house?
    Yep. That’s why I left this summer and moved to NC. Just saw a better future but I did love my 8 years in Las Vegas. Such an awesome place to live.

Yep. That’s why I left this summer and moved to NC. Just saw a better future but I did love my 8 years in Las Vegas. Such an awesome place to live.
    It was.

Looking forward though I think the beverage in Vegas will be a very dry martini.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Inter generational morality questions are tough for a lot of folks to wrap their head’s around.
    Great point! Kids are smarter today. They'll be able to figure it all out. Thanks for helping me sleep easy at night.

Great point! Kids are smarter today. They'll be able to figure it all out. Thanks for helping me sleep easy at night.

Hah. Well, they’ll be forced to deal with it, whether they figure it out is a story ending I may not live to see.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Indeed. The big difference being that we have a whole boatload of empirical data to support one hypothesis and virtually no empirical data to support the existence (or nonexistence) of God Unlike the original wager The outcomes are not equally likely or unlikely.

Now let’s talk about the Prosperity
    Gospel…
    Anorher round of the same discussion that's been going on since the discovery of how to start a fire? Great. Something to churn for a couple more centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anorher round of the same discussion that's been going on since the discovery of how to start a fire? Great. Something to churn for a couple more centuries.
    Passes the time.

My take is that it doesn't matter if climate change is "real"*. We should be doing all the things being put in place for climate change because it is the right thing to do. We only have one Earth and there are limited resources so we should be doing everything possible to keep the Earth clean and sustaining. We need to work on renewable energy, follow the reduce/re-use/recycle philosophy. Having a beautiful green lawn in the middle of a desert is ridiculous, Grow plants that are native to where you live - they can usually survive on what nature provides. Purchase as much locally produced food as possible to cut down on transportation costs/pollution.

* caused 100% by man and no portion due to cyclical temperature changes.