Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    The original warranty for the battery pack on Toyota hybrids is 8 years/100,000 miles (10/150,000 in California). I like my Prius, but I'm considering trading it in a few years from now when it becomes a 7 year old. We'll see.
    A year or two ago, Consumer Reports retested a Prius they have (and reviewed when they bought it) with I believe 200,000 miles on it, and essentially it's performing now pretty much like it did when new. Can't recall how old it was, but I think something like 7-10 years old...can't recall if they had put in a new battery wad or not...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A year or two ago, Consumer Reports retested a Prius they have (and reviewed when they bought it) with I believe 200,000 miles on it, and essentially it's performing now pretty much like it did when new. Can't recall how old it was, but I think something like 7-10 years old...can't recall if they had put in a new battery wad or not...
    Our son's Prius is 10-11 years old with about 200K miles and they've not replaced the hybrid battery so our Climate Change "sample size" now totals two.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

As I said before, finding a way to make cheaper and more efficient batteries is going to be crucial in the next 10 years (hopefully much sooner). Whomever does could potentially become a very very rich person.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    As I said before, finding a way to make cheaper and more efficient batteries is going to be crucial in the next 10 years (hopefully much sooner). Whomever does could potentially become a very very rich person.
    The good news is that prices have been dropping steadily.

Although, I often ready about the environmental damage caused by rare earth mining needed for battery and electric motor manufacturing and wonder if it's all worth it or not. One thing I do know, that keeping my 17 year old Corolla running for as long as possible is the more environmentally friendly thing I can do

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The good news is that prices have been dropping steadily.
    And it's not clear it's even going to be batteries. Tesla just spent over $200 million on an ultracapacitor company. https://electrek.co/2019/02/04/tesla...-manufacturer/

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Timing is everything.
    Our clothes dryer died.

Anyone have an energy efficient dryer they like?

Its been over a decade since we bought new washers and dryers.
    At that point, LG had good features and price point.

Holy cow are dryers expensive.
    Timing is everything. This may be too late but your dryer may not be dead. I came home to a "dead dryer" a few months ago. A YouTube search, $12 and 30 minutes of work later the dryer was fixed. YouTubing can save you $$$$.

Never a bad idea to check reliability ratings on Consumer Reports...I hate repair bills...(more expensive these days as few things can be "fixed," parts must be ordered, etc, etc. Dishwasher repair man required $110 to step into the house, period.
    Hourly charge beyond that. Of course he did not have the necessary part, and wasn't helped in that regard by totally misdiagnosing the problem. So back he comes a week later with "the part," but not the part required to stem the leak.
    Third trip also a failure. New repairman requested, new guy actually finds the problem, fixes it...total elapsed time, one month.)