Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How does Maryland view the move to the B1G whatever?

Not trolling, an honest question.

How do the "fine" folks at MD feel about being in the B1G and not the ACC, now that the dust has settled?

The Terps just traveled to Wisconsin for a "big" game, and it barely registers nationally. I always thought it was a bad move, and just wondering if anyone knows how the terps generally feel about it now?

The Terps just traveled to Wisconsin for a "big" game, and it barely registers nationally.

The scene in"On the Waterfront" where Brando said "I coulda' been a contender.", "I coulda' been somebody." sadly makes me think of Maryland athletics. They useta' been contenders---somebody...

Hard to say

This is a funny place to raise the question, since I don't think many Big Ten fans come here.

Having said that, while I agree that the move has lowered Maryland's basketball profile, I'm surprised by the amount of support the program still has. I went to the Maryland at Northwestern basketball game a year ago (my daughter was a senior at NU) and I was surprised by the Maryland turnout. Now, part of that probably was because the Wildcats played their games last year at an arena far removed from campus and right next to the airport, but still there were a lot of loud Maryland folks. (No bottles thrown, however.)

Wilbon said it best when the move happened...he noted that Maryland fans didn't want to leave the ACC, and Big 10 fans had little interest in adding them. No one cares about them, even though they have
    a decent hoops teams. Plus the Twerps no longer have a team on their schedule they love to hate. Road trip to Nebraska!

Fact is, Maryland has mishandled their athletics budget for years, they've racked up a lot of debt, and moving to the Big What was done largely to mitigate their own incompetence.

I have some friends in MD who care a lot less about sports since the move.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I have some friends in MD who care a lot less about sports since the move.

-jk
    That’s really interesting, jk. The thought that conference affiliation could affect one’s desire to root for the college team you identify with.

It wouldn’t matter to me, I will root and care about Duke athletics regardless.

Those MD fans are a strange breed.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    That’s really interesting, jk. The thought that conference affiliation could affect one’s desire to root for the college team you identify with.

Yeah, but.

If we had a regular slate of games against Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and the like instead of three North Carolina teams and the old ACC I would not be as interested. No history, no rivalry, no proximity.*

The Twerps thought they were in Alaska before because they were not in the State of North Carolina. How do they feel more included, being almost 1,000 miles from the Mississippi River?

Basketball was an afterthought in the decision though — it was about football $$$. This was not a fan-driven decision.

* I apologize if these example teams are not in the Big#?, I really couldn’t tell you what the name of the conference is let alone who is in it.

The online definition of "shaudenfruede" has a picture of a Maryland basketball crowd watching a home game against Rutgers.

I live in Maryland and most of friends root on the Terps. They are not happy with the decision and complain all the time about not playing in the ACC. It was all about money and football. Nothing else. Bad decisions. They haven’t improved their recruiting for football or basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

Makes perfect sense to me...rooting for Duke is deeply steeped in the rivalry with the Cheats, with the ACC in general, and so on. Ya know, schools like Missouri in the SEC and WVA in the Big 12 may not have deep ties to the conference, but Duke certainly does with the ACC...as did Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...rooting for Duke is deeply steeped in the rivalry with the Cheats...
    Not as far as I am concerned. That rivalry died several years ago, when it became clear that the Duke and uNC basketball programs were in fact playing two completely different games.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Not as far as I am concerned. That rivalry died several years ago, when it became clear that the Duke and uNC basketball programs were in fact playing two completely different games.
    ...that may be true, but I am talking historically....and I'm with K on this one, both schools benefit from being part of this rivalry.

I live in Maryland too. My Terp friends think it’s good for football, horrible for basketball. They think it was a necessary evil though since the athletic department was hemorrhaging money.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I live in Maryland too. My Terp friends think it’s good for football, horrible for basketball. They think it was a necessary evil though since the athletic department was hemorrhaging money.
    Still is, to DJ Durkin.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Wasn't Duke @ Maryland in hoops the biggest event, toughest ticket, of the year at Maryland? Seems to me SVP on ESPN really hated losing that event once a season.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Not trolling, an honest question.

How do the "fine" folks at MD feel about being in the B1G and not the ACC, now that the dust has settled?

The Terps just traveled to Wisconsin for a "big" game, and it barely registers nationally. I always thought it was a bad move, and just wondering if anyone knows how the terps generally feel about it now?
    No offense, but who cares? They lost any respect from me in 2001.

The move was made for money. Doubt the powers that be would want to turn down the extra money they have earned since joining the Big 10.

The Md fans I know all say the same: Horrible move for the fans, but had to be done for budgetary reasons. They were so far underwater with their athletics budget, the turtles were in danger of drowning. <rimshot>

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    As our resident B1G fan, I can say that... no one really cares about Maryland. I mean, we recognize they’re a solid basketball team, but I don’t think anyone gets excited when they play Maryland.

This doesn’t really answer the question about how Maryland fans think about the move... but I can tell you in the state of Michigan, where B1G basketball power resides, very little attention is paid to the Terps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    I live in Maryland and most of friends root on the Terps. They are not happy with the decision and complain all the time about not playing in the ACC. It was all about money and football. Nothing else. Bad decisions. They haven’t improved their recruiting for football or basketball.
    I hope they cry their small, close set eyes out of their big heads on their wee pillows.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'