Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Interesting: Rotten Tomatoes has disabled the "want to see" section of its site. This comes in the wake of a lot of negative comments left about Captain Marvel as well as a number of articles about said comments. In light of Solo's flop last year, I'm now curious to see how Captain Marvel does at the box office to see if there's anything to this or if it was just a bunch of trolls/bots/etc.
    I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies. In addition, if you adjusted for inflation, The Last Jedi doesn't even beat what most consider the worst of the Star Wars films, The Phantom Menace.

I think those expecting numbers close to Black Panther will be disappointed in Captain Marvel. Trolls will certainly use that as a validation of their point of view. That said, I think anything close to $400 million will be a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies.
    There have only been 2 movies. One of them has to be "the lowest" of the third trilogy. The Last Jedi is the 8th highest grossing movie of all time with $620 million at the domestic boxoffice. It only looks a "bomb" compared to The Force Awakens. It is sorta like calling Kevin McHale a failure because he wasn't as good as Larry Bird.

That said, there was a lot not to like about Last Jedi.

I think those expecting numbers close to Black Panther will be disappointed in Captain Marvel. Trolls will certainly use that as a validation of their point of view. That said, I think anything close to $400 million will be a huge success.
    Sorta like Guardians (especially Guardians 2) there is supposedly going to be a lot of weird cosmic stuff in this film that may keep it from having the kind of crossover appeal that more grounded Marvel movies do. Also, I have been told that it is decidedly less funny than many recent Marvel films (still has humor, but not nearly like Ragnarok, Guardians, Ant Man, or the Iron Man films).

-Jason "I think something like $350-400 is probably where it will end up, which is a remarkable number for a non-sequel" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There have only been 2 movies. One of them has to be "the lowest" of the third trilogy. The Last Jedi is the 8th highest grossing movie of all time with $620 million at the domestic boxoffice. It only looks a "bomb" compared to The Force Awakens. It is sorta like calling Kevin McHale a failure because he wasn't as good as Larry Bird.

Well, I certainly did put enough qualifiers on that I would hope someone would pick up on that.

Not related to movies, but possibly of interest to this audience since it involves Hollywood accounting: an arbitrator has just given a $179 MM verdict against Fox Studios, claiming they screwed over the stars, producer, and creator via their accounting:

The decision, made earlier this month but until now a secret, pertains to the Fox-produced series Bones, which starred David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel and ran on the Fox network between 2005 and 2017. But the 66-page ruling by arbitrator Peter Lichtman, who concludes Fox executives lied, cheated and committed fraud at the expense of the show’s stars and executive producer Barry Josephson, is about a whole lot more. The nearly $200 million award amounts to the second largest in television industry history, after a 2011 jury verdict punishing Disney to the tune of $319 million over profit-sharing for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. It will not only put Murdoch’s Fox sale in a whole new light, but may also raise questions about the future viability of Hulu, plus any platform enjoying what’s pejoratively known as “Hollywood accounting.” The ruling also comes as the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed to stand another mega-merger between AT&T and Time Warner, an example of vertical integration between a distributor of content and a producer.

...But along with other profits fights over long-running hit shows — among them, AMC’s The Walking Dead, Disney’s Home Improvement and Warner Bros.’ Supernatural — the dispute raised a big question about whether profits could ever be expected when one arm of a corporation is making deals with another arm. That’s because the studio is responsible for selling the show on the open market, and after collecting this money and deducting the cost of production, the studio sends out checks to those entitled to a share of profits. If expenses outweigh income, the show runs a deficit. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the show isn’t making good money — at least, for someone, elsewhere.

It’s possible that the studio just isn’t charging enough for rights to exhibit the show, whether it’s streamed online or broadcast on a television. Streaming platforms hawk subscriptions. Television networks sell advertisements and take in additional revenue from cable and satellite companies. Such money doesn't directly go to profit participants. So if a studio is within the same corporate structure as a streamer or broadcaster, an underhanded way for the parent company to derive the spoils from a show (to the detriment of executive producers and stars) may be to undercharge licensing fees to its sister companies.

That’s exactly what the Bones profit participants alleged was happening.

Looking forward to next month’s Deschanel Family Newsletter. Caleb gets his 6th Oscar nomination for cinematography, and Emily wins a multimillion dollar settlement from FOX. Will Zooey even merit a blurb?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Looking forward to next month’s Deschanel Family Newsletter. Caleb gets his 6th Oscar nomination for cinematography, and Emily wins a multimillion dollar settlement from FOX. Will Zooey even merit a blurb?
    I'll predict right now that Caleb, one of the all-time great cinematographers, will get nomination #7 next year for his work on The Lion King. Based on what I have seen/heard, that film is going to be gorgeous.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "I think something like $350-400 is probably where it will end up, which is a remarkable number for a non-sequel" Evans
    Somebody averaged a bunch of predictions at /r/boxoffice and came up with an estimate of $143MM opening weekend and $400MM total domestic.

In other news, "Avengers: Endgame" is forecast to have a $280MM opening weekend when it opens in late April, which is even higher than what "Infinity War" did.

So, here is the latest trailer for Brightburn, the James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) produced film that is basically "What if Superman was evil?"

I am a little bothered that it feels like the trailer shows almost the entire film... I mean, the scenes at the end of the trailer almost certainly have to be from the final half hour of the film, if not the actual climax. Sigh...

Still, Superman as a horror film... I'm in!

Somebody averaged a bunch of predictions at /r/boxoffice and came up with an estimate of $143MM opening weekend and $400MM total domestic.
    I'll be mildly shocked if Cap. Marvel gets to $400 mil. I think word of mouth will be very lukewarm (not bad, but not great either).

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Captain Marvel will do better than it should simply because of the investment in this movie arc. I did not really want to see Dr. Strange, but I watched it on Netflix because I thought it would enhance my understanding of Infinite War which it did.

Ok, I'm jumping into this thread way late...I'll not re-start the debate about how summer is defined although of course I have strong opinions but I had a few other thoughts.

There is no no no no no way this film makes our top 5. None, not gonna happen, forget about it.

But what a fun concept and I will watch anything Danny Boyle makes. Man gets hit by bus, wakes up in a world where no one has heard of The Beatles so the man becomes a global superstar by playing Beatles songs.

-Jason "Yesterday hits theaters in June" Evans
    I think this is a serious dark horse for top 5. The Beatles are...fairly popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Captain Marvel will do better than it should simply because of the investment in this movie arc. I did not really want to see Dr. Strange, but I watched it on Netflix because I thought it would enhance my understanding of Infinite War which it did.
    I really liked Dr. Strange! One of my favorite movies from the MCU so far. Maybe I'm alone there.

I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies. In addition, if you adjusted for inflation, The Last Jedi doesn't even beat what most consider the worst of the Star Wars films, The Phantom Menace.

The disappointing thing about Solo is that it wasn't a bad movie, it just got a ton of bad press and came on the heels of a very poorly received Last Jedi. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing Solo in theaters now that I've seen it. Last Jedi​ certainly did well, but I think mostly because nobody believed they wouldn't like it so everyone went to see it. I wonder how many of the $620 mil came from people who would like their money back. It wasn't a financial bomb, but it was certainly poorly received at least by some and I think it directly caused the poor showing for Solo.

Solo was a disaster from the jump. The casting, especially the lead/title character. Changing directors was sloppy. Release date too soon after TLJ. They should have held onto the Friday before Christmas slot like the other 3 films since the return of Star Wars movies. Hollywood figured America could never get enough Star Wars (or Lego for that matter). Well, it can. I enjoyed Solo and saw it twice in the theaters but it was doomed to fail.

I'll be mildly shocked if Cap. Marvel gets to $400 mil. I think word of mouth will be very lukewarm (not bad, but not great either).
    $266MM after 10 days with a relatively mild 55% drop vs opening weekend. Does this project to $400MM+?

$266MM after 10 days with a relatively mild 55% drop vs opening weekend. Does this project to $400MM+?
    Hard to say at this point, but it probably comes up a little short. By comparison Civil War was at $295 mil after 10 days and ended up at $408 million; Iron Man 3 was at $284 mil and ended up at $409 mil. Captain Marvel would need to show slightly stronger legs than those two films to get to $400 mil. Don't forget that we are at a time of year when the mid-week business won't be quite as strong as it is in the summer.

There is no no no no no way this film makes our top 5. None, not gonna happen, forget about it.

But what a fun concept and I will watch anything Danny Boyle makes. Man gets hit by bus, wakes up in a world where no one has heard of The Beatles so the man becomes a global superstar by playing Beatles songs.

-Jason "Yesterday hits theaters in June" Evans
    Maybe you have to be a Beatle fan to appreciate it, but since I am, I want to see it! Looks good to me!
    As for A4, I'd rather watch paint dry...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    -Jason "Avengers Age of Ultron made $459mil... if Endgame only matches that total, picking it won't work" Evans
    Tickets went on sale yesterday and Fandango is already reporting that "Endgame" broke its pre-sale records, topping the previous holder, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/captain-ma...lebrities.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Tickets went on sale yesterday and Fandango is already reporting that "Endgame" broke its pre-sale records, topping the previous holder, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/captain-ma...lebrities.html
    When does the actual picking happen? I feel like we should have picked before we knew this (although I would guess almost nobody was not going to pick Endgame regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    When does the actual picking happen? I feel like we should have picked before we knew this (although I would guess almost nobody was not going to pick Endgame regardless).
    I will probably start the poll next week. Please note, as previously stated, everything Endgame earns before May 1 will not count in the Endgame totals. It is highly likely there will be something like $300 mil of boxoffice that will not count in our contest.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I will probably start the poll next week. Please note, as previously stated, everything Endgame earns before May 1 will not count in the Endgame totals. It is highly likely there will be something like $300 mil of boxoffice that will not count in our contest.
    If it makes a billion dollars, which is also highly likely, it won't matter.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This looks stunning...