Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Top movies of summer 2019 (early discussion)

Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-man: FFH, Men In Black reboot, Detective Pikachu... yeah yeah yeah, I know it is going to be a big summer.

But, let's get this thread kicked off with a really funny and fun trailer, shall we?

I have not been a big fan of the F&F franchise, but this really looks good. They took the two most charismatic characters and built the whole thing around them.

-Jason "comments about 2019 summer films can go here until we open the actual poll thread in April" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not been a big fan of the F&F franchise, but this really looks good. They took the two most charismatic characters and built the whole thing around them.
    LOL! The movie sounds so dumb (like all the F&F movies) but for some reason I was grinning through most of the trailer (like I am during most of the F&F movies).

Sometimes stupid fun is just what the doctor ordered. It's nice to see the F&F breakout of their genre and give the ol' buddy comedy a try. It certainly worked for Thor: Ragnarok.

I'm still waiting for the first RomCom spin off from the MCU or other universe.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    LOL! The movie sounds so dumb (like all the F&F movies) but for some reason I was grinning through most of the trailer (like I am during most of the F&F movies).

Sometimes stupid fun is just what the doctor ordered. It's nice to see the F&F breakout of their genre and give the ol' buddy comedy a try. It certainly worked for Thor: Ragnarok.

I'm still waiting for the first RomCom spin off from the MCU or other universe.

Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-man: FFH, Men In Black reboot, Detective Pikachu... yeah yeah yeah, I know it is going to be a big summer.

But, let's get this thread kicked off with a really funny and fun trailer, shall we?

-Jason "comments about 2019 summer films can go here until we open the actual poll thread in April" Evans
    So "The Rock" won the pissing contest with Vin Diesel?

Ok, so there is one hard and fast rule that I adhere to...

SUMMER DOES NOT START IN APRIL!!

The DBR Masses: "But Jason, Avengers 4 is going to be the dominant movie of the summer and it opens on April 26th. Are you really going to exclude Avengers from the summer contest?"

Jason, DBR game master: "No, of course not. But, summer does not start in April."

The DBR Masses: "Well, I'm officially confused."

Jason, DBR game master: "Allow me to explain..."

When the time come to pick our top 5 of summer, Avengers 4 will be an option. But, the boxoffice total will only count ticket sales after April 30th. We will check the boxoffice for Avengers 4 on April 30th and deduct that amount from the final boxoffice tally of Avengers 4. This means that if you choose to pick Avengers 4, you will probably have to subtract something in the range of $250 million from its boxoffice total to see if it make the top 5 movies of Summer. If it only makes $450 million, you could be in real trouble.

-Jason "I'm very excited about this solution to the internal conflict I was facing over what to do with Endgame and its April 26th opening date" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

The DBR Masses: "But Jason, Avengers 4 is going to be the dominant movie of the summer and it opens on April 26th. Are you really going to exclude Avengers from the summer contest?"

Jason, DBR game master: "No, of course not. But, summer does not start in April."

When the time come to pick our top 5 of summer, Avengers 4 will be an option. But, the boxoffice total will only count ticket sales after April 30th. We will check the boxoffice for Avengers 4 on April 30th and deduct that amount from the final boxoffice tally of Avengers 4. This means that if you choose to pick Avengers 4, you will probably have to subtract something in the range of $250 million from its boxoffice total to see if it make the top 5 movies of Summer. If it only makes $450 million, you could be in real trouble.

-Jason "I'm very excited about this solution to the internal conflict I was facing over what to do with Endgame and its April 26th opening date" Evans
    That's a really cool approach. Kudos! I'm thinking that even subtracting the opening weekend, A4 will still be in the top 5. Maybe not the top movie, but up there. The competition is crazy hard this summer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

When does summer end?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

No. Summer doesn’t stat until June officially, Memorialy Day unofficially. You didn’t cut off box office receipts after Labor Day/official first day of Fall, why would you think of doing the reverse here.

A4 is NOT a summer movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    No. Summer doesn’t stat until June officially, Memorialy Day unofficially. You didn’t cut off box office receipts after Labor Day/official first day of Fall, why would you think of doing the reverse here.

Umpire Bill Klem reportedly said when asked if a pitch was a ball or a strike, “It ain’t nothing till I call it.”

Evans is in a position similar to Klem’s I would think.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Perhaps there should be a hard rule for that, too. Instead of waiting for the last movie of the summer to peter out, make there a definitive cut date for receipts like September somethingth. If the movie doesn't make enough bank by the cut date, even though if given time it could make the top 5, then tough patootie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, because he runs the contest and makes all the rules? There's not anything at stake here other than maybe some sporks if you win big.

The first movie that I know I won't be voting for.

Will Smith's Genie looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Perhaps there should be a hard rule for that, too. Instead of waiting for the last movie of the summer to peter out, make there a definitive cut date for receipts like September somethingth. If the movie doesn't make enough bank by the cut date, even though if given time it could make the top 5, then tough patootie.
    We did that for at least one contest, and I recall the sixth place movie passing the fifth place movie only a short time after the cutoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The first movie that I know I won't be voting for.

Will Smith's Genie looks awful.
    Wow! That's hideous. The kiddos will be having nightmares, heck maybe the adults too
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    We did that for at least one contest, and I recall the sixth place movie passing the fifth place movie only a short time after the cutoff.
    In 2014 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes passed Amazing Spiderman 2 in late August to reach 5th place.
    In 2012 Ted barely got 5ht place past Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, also in late August

But 2010 is the year I think you recall. Despicable Me was just a few hundred thousand short of Shrek Forever After on labor day. A week or two later and DM had taken 5th place. But, it was too late as we had closed the contest down.

The reason I am doing it this way with Endgame this year is because I want to put some uncertainty into picking Endgame. Essentially, you are lopping $250 mil (maybe more) off its boxoffice total. The film could be awful and it still would make $450 mil, but if it makes $450 mil, you are probably going to lose if you pick it. I think that is kinda fun and adds at least a tiny bit of uncertainty to the pick.

I have no plans to end the contest on Labor Day and not count boxoffice after that date as I want to give Hobbs and Shaw (Aug 2 release date) a fighting chance. Maybe we will say Sept 30th as a closing date as I suspect Hobbs and Shaw will be finished with its meaningful run by then.

-Jason "Avengers Age of Ultron made $459mil... if Endgame only matches that total, picking it won't work" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It happens all of the time on the track. A runner will break the tape only to be passed immediately by a second runner who kicked too late. The second runner still didn't win and that's fine as long as the rules are known at the beginning.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, because he runs the contest and makes all the rules? There's not anything at stake here other than maybe some sporks if you win big.
    I understand, just stating my preference. I’ll still participate and select poorly as I have done in the past.

(Why didn’t you all run out and see Passengers!)

I know A4 is gonna make tons and tons of money. But as a casual observer of Marvel movies, I'm not seeing it, since I have no idea what the hell is going on, and I'm sure not gonna watch all the other movies and tie ins to figure it out. (I haven't even watched the streaming movies for the same reason, too damn confusing.) I do watch the firsts of movies, like GOTG, and Antman. Even watched the GOTG sequel. But once those story lines start intersecting to soap opera proportions, meh.

Is there a chance this one "suffers" because of folks like me? Maybe keeping it "merely" at the numbers of the last one?

I understand, just stating my preference. I’ll still participate and select poorly as I have done in the past.

(Why didn’t you all run out and see Passengers!)
    A true DBR past time if I've ever heard one.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

There is no no no no no way this film makes our top 5. None, not gonna happen, forget about it.

But what a fun concept and I will watch anything Danny Boyle makes. Man gets hit by bus, wakes up in a world where no one has heard of The Beatles so the man becomes a global superstar by playing Beatles songs.

-Jason "Yesterday hits theaters in June" Evans