Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 144
  1. #81
    Proverbial milkshake thrown...

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    It was an exceptionally well-thrown first pitch. No question about it. However, there is an alternative explanation that makes it quite understandable and rational. I concede, it may not be the one many people prefer in moments like these, when we contemplate life, death, and our connections to suddenly-lost loved ones. Discounting mystical forces at a moment like this probably makes some people want to reach for the nearest tomato, egg, rotten cabbage, or these days, milkshake. But consider this possibility, revealed by the audio at 0m 47s:
    Yeah, Debbie Skaggs (Tyler's mom) was a catcher at Cal State Northridge and coached high school softball for 30 years. She was very active in Tyler's development as a player.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Meanwhile, if MLB had relegation like English futbol, the Tigers would be sent directly to the Chupacabra League in Venezuela where they'd probably get beat up as well, GM is a pendejo.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Meanwhile, if MLB had relegation like English futbol, the Tigers would be sent directly to the Chupacabra League in Venezuela where they'd probably get beat up as well, GM is a pendejo.
    My Spanish isn't so good so I had to look that up. I concur.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    My Spanish isn't so good so I had to look that up. I concur.
    Queen of the South is teaching me a brand new Hispanic vocabulary, cabron!

  6. #86
    That made me think of a Sammy Kershaw song. But that is another story.

    I'm waiting for the Dodgers to win another title. If they keep in losing in the WS, I will insist that they hire Theo.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  7. #87
    There'd been a lot of talk over the past month plus about Dukie Marcus Stroman coming to New York. And he is, only to ... Queens? No word on the return yet, but I assume it was somewhat hefty, so I don't really understand this for the Metropolitans.

    https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1155598762565406725
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 07-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  8. #88
    Pujols got # 650 today. Will Miggy get to 500?

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... a pendejo ...
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ... had to look that up ...
    It's Swahili for Hansbrough.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Pujols got # 650 today. Will Miggy get to 500?
    At his current pace, he'll have to play until he's 75...sad decline for Miggy, sadder for the utterly pathetic, inept Tigers...

    p.s. I just saw that our Marcus Stroman just got traded ...he got part of his wish, the trade was to New York, but it's the Mets not the Yanks who snagged him.

  11. #91
    So uh, the Astros aren't playing games.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Jeff Luhnow is a ninja. Donít sleep on Aaron Sanchez getting corrected by Brent Strom.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    At his current pace, he'll have to play until he's 75...sad decline for Miggy, sadder for the utterly pathetic, inept Tigers...
    It is stunning how much Miguel Cabrera has declined since turning 34. He went from being a leading MVP candidate at age 33 to being a below replacement level player at 34, 35, 36... and the Tigers owe him $30+ mil/season for the next 4 years. Maybe signing him to an 8 year, $248 mil deal when he was about to turn 33 was not a good idea.

    Baseball has a real problem with long term, guaranteed mega-deals for dudes who are already in decline. I mean, a 4 year deal for a guy who is 31 or 32 is somewhat understandable even if you presume you are getting a bad deal the final couple years of the contract, but these 8-10 year deals that will pay guys into their late 30s or early 40s are just soooo stupid. Other than juicing Barry Bonds, how many guys have been worth top dollar once they hit 34 or 35, let alone 38-40?

    -Jason "I am somewhat torn on Harper and Trout's deals... the back half of those will likely be awful but at least you are getting 5-7 good years at the front end" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    At his current pace, he'll have to play until he's 75...sad decline for Miggy, sadder for the utterly pathetic, inept Tigers...
    Actually, I think GM Avila's secret plan is to make the Tigs so bad that Miggy will cry and throw in the towel? Just humiliate him into sneaking out of the locker room under the cover of darkness one night?
    It could work!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Baseball has a real problem with long term, guaranteed mega-deals for dudes who are already in decline. I mean, a 4 year deal for a guy who is 31 or 32 is somewhat understandable even if you presume you are getting a bad deal the final couple years of the contract, but these 8-10 year deals that will pay guys into their late 30s or early 40s are just soooo stupid.
    The issue goes back 20+ years. Pitcher Kevin Brown in the '90s with the Dodgers comes to mind as one of the first with his 7 year $105 million contract. Great 4 of the first 5 years but awful the last year and a half at age 40.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Nice piece on Marcus in the NY Post:

    https://nypost.com/2019/08/01/how-me...pasteboard_app

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is stunning how much Miguel Cabrera has declined since turning 34. He went from being a leading MVP candidate at age 33 to being a below replacement level player at 34, 35, 36... and the Tigers owe him $30+ mil/season for the next 4 years. Maybe signing him to an 8 year, $248 mil deal when he was about to turn 33 was not a good idea.

    Baseball has a real problem with long term, guaranteed mega-deals for dudes who are already in decline. I mean, a 4 year deal for a guy who is 31 or 32 is somewhat understandable even if you presume you are getting a bad deal the final couple years of the contract, but these 8-10 year deals that will pay guys into their late 30s or early 40s are just soooo stupid. Other than juicing Barry Bonds, how many guys have been worth top dollar once they hit 34 or 35, let alone 38-40?

    -Jason "I am somewhat torn on Harper and Trout's deals... the back half of those will likely be awful but at least you are getting 5-7 good years at the front end" Evans
    The problem is that, due to the salary/arbitration rules, players are vastly underpaid for their first 5-6 years in the league. They are at the league minimum for the first 3 years. They then are subject to arbitration rules for the next 3 years, and the salaries are heavily restricted based on service time. So for the best players, who are usually elite early on, they are getting paid relative peanuts during their prime. And they are frequently entering their 30s by the time they hit free agency. So the free agent deals have been where they recoup that lost earnings.

    Unfortunately for them, they blew their last collective bargaining agreement battling for working conditions and not salary issues, so the owners convinced them to accept a soft salary cap. So now owners are using the cap as an excuse not to pay long-term, big-money deals. So the players that arrive in MLB in their mid-20s instead of their very early 20s (and this donít reach free agency until their 30s) are really getting hosed.

    It is a real problem for the players moving forward.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado

    Staten Island Yankees

    So, not MLB but short season, minor league ball.

    My son Eric, also a great Duke fan, is throwing out the first pitch at the Baby Bull game tonight. Great little stadium - great views of the city.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    So, not MLB but short season, minor league ball.

    My son Eric, also a great Duke fan, is throwing out the first pitch at the Baby Bull game tonight. Great little stadium - great views of the city.
    Nice - congrats. I love taking the family there - we live in Manhattan and it is a fun day out to take the Ferry across to a game, and, like you said, the views are incredible. I was actually toying with going on Sunday. We haven't been since the new outlets opened. Enjoy the game!

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nice - congrats. I love taking the family there - we live in Manhattan and it is a fun day out to take the Ferry across to a game, and, like you said, the views are incredible. I was actually toying with going on Sunday. We haven't been since the new outlets opened. Enjoy the game!
    MCU Park is pretty cool too, with the views of the Coney rides, etc. (Being a Mets fan, I'm biased of course)

Similar Threads

  1. Premier League (and other soccer stuff) 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-02-2019, 09:29 AM
  2. 2019 Duke Baseball
    By duke2x in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM
  3. The 2014 Major League baseball season
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 656
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
  4. Major League Baseball - 2013
    By JBDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 679
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •