Major League Baseball - 2019 Season

It's time to begin our discussion of MLB for the upcoming season. Pitchers and catchers begin to report to training camp next week and by mid-month all the teams will have players at spring training.

Just to kick off discussion, here's an article by Duke alum Barry Svrluga of the WaPo on the current activity -- really, lack of activity -- in the free agent market. He gives credit to his hometown Washington Nationals for their efforts to fill gaps and needs but points that the Nats have spent more than 14 other teams combined.

And, of course, the mega-talented Bryce Harper and Manny Machado remain unsigned.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He gives credit to his hometown Washington Nationals for their efforts to fill gaps and needs but points that the Nats have spent more than 14 other teams combined.
    The Department of Defense laughs...

I'm probably being petty in another thread.

This may be my only post on the thread for this season.

There used to be a team in Detroit.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

As a Twins fan, I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I'm not sure I can name five guys on our formerly heroic team. Once again, the DirecTV Bezbol package will have to soldier on without me. We traded all our stars for a sack of beads.

This doesn't really have any bearing on the 2019 season, but tough break for the A's, as Kyler Murray, their first round pick last spring (9th overall) says he's committing fully to football. They surely knew there was some risk when they drafted him, but it's still tough to lose such a high pick. They will retain his rights, but get no draft pick compensation.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...fl-quarterback
    Demented and sad, but social, right?