Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 149 of 149
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Making the drive up to the nationals game tonight. Anybody been to that stadium? Looking for suggestions on restaurant/bars to hang out at near the stadium as we'll have some time to kill.
    Interested in hearing your impressions of the ballpark and the area.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Interested in hearing your impressions of the ballpark and the area.
    We stayed about a mile away near the capitol, enjoyed our stay. Was a little taken back by all the homeless people, but that happens Everytime I go to a big city. I just want to talk to them and ask them how they got like this, and what can I do to help.

    Anyway, the game was awesome, we picked a good one to go to. 14 innings, multiple homers, double digit hits for both teams.

    Met a group of great group people from Philly, hung out with them for a late night dinner after the game. Good times.

    When the national anthem played, everyone stopped, even on the hustle and bustle of the concourse where we were. That was nice to see.

    Did I enjoy it? Yes. Very much. Would I live here, not in a million years.

    My aunt retired from the CIA and she has lived here since her early twenties. They love it, and I'm happy for her and we enjoying visiting them. But I don't think I could do it.

    Also, the people we met kept asking me to repeat things because of my southern drawl, and they roared with laughter.

    I said, at least we don't throw batteries at Santa Clause.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    We stayed about a mile away near the capitol, enjoyed our stay. Was a little taken back by all the homeless people, but that happens Everytime I go to a big city. I just want to talk to them and ask them how they got like this, and what can I do to help.

    Anyway, the game was awesome, we picked a good one to go to. 14 innings, multiple homers, double digit hits for both teams.

    Met a group of great group people from Philly, hung out with them for a late night dinner after the game. Good times.

    When the national anthem played, everyone stopped, even on the hustle and bustle of the concourse where we were. That was nice to see.

    Did I enjoy it? Yes. Very much. Would I live here, not in a million years.

    My aunt retired from the CIA and she has lived here since her early twenties. They love it, and I'm happy for her and we enjoying visiting them. But I don't think I could do it.

    Also, the people we met kept asking me to repeat things because of my southern drawl, and they roared with laughter.

    I said, at least we don't throw batteries at Santa Clause.
    Sounds very enjoyable. What'd you think of the ballpark itself? The couple times I went shortly after it opened, it seemed sorta plastic-y and souless (as did the fanbase). Maybe there's more soulfulness to the experience now, as the franchise and fans have won a lot and suffered heartbreak and what have you.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sounds very enjoyable. What'd you think of the ballpark itself? The couple times I went shortly after it opened, it seemed sorta plastic-y and souless (as did the fanbase). Maybe there's more soulfulness to the experience now, as the franchise and fans have won a lot and suffered heartbreak and what have you.
    The atmosphere in the stadium was actually pretty good. I was surprised. But you're right, it felt like it was missing something, and I never could quite put my finger on it.

    I did run into quite a few very rude people, especially the concession workers. I swear they acted like they were being held against their will. I was yelled at twice by vendors trying to get by me. Like, literally yelled in my ear.

    My wife ordered $12 chicken nachos at a vendor, paid, and when the worker started making them she was told they were out of chicken. We told her that was fine, we'd take beef. The worker said we're out of chips too.

    So the girl, didn't say another word, walked away to get more chips but we didn't know that. Came back like 10 minutes later with chips. Poured them in a bowl and said "what you want on them?"

    My wife said, "everything, sour cream, jalepenos, the works."

    "We're out of everything but salsa and cheese". She proceeded to slap a big dollop on the chips and yelled "NEXT!"

    My wife said "can I have one of those limes?"

    The girl said, They don't come with nachos". 😂

    But the game was cool 👌

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Sign of the times? The Nationals beat the Phillies on Sunday 16-8. All but two runs were scored as a result of home runs... and those two were scored on a triple by Eaton.

    Juiced ball? Juiced players? Or, just strategy -- every player swinging hard and trying to get the ball in the air -- never mind the strike outs? Yesterday's game was notable, I suppose, in that there were only nine strike outs -- three by the Phils, six by the Nats.

    In the Nats-Phils game Left Hook Lacey attended on Saturday, 20 of the 29 runs were scored on homers.

    Let's see... that's a total of 53 runs in two games with 42 scored on home runs.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sign of the times? The Nationals beat the Phillies on Sunday 16-8. All but two runs were scored as a result of home runs... and those two were scored on a triple by Eaton.

    Juiced ball? Juiced players? Or, just strategy -- every player swinging hard and trying to get the ball in the air -- never mind the strike outs? Yesterday's game was notable, I suppose, in that there were only nine strike outs -- three by the Phils, six by the Nats.

    In the Nats-Phils game Left Hook Lacey attended on Saturday, 20 of the 29 runs were scored on homers.

    Let's see... that's a total of 53 runs in two games with 42 scored on home runs.
    As much as I like to see the Phillies lose, didn't the Nats play the Brewers?

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    As much as I like to see the Phillies lose, didn't the Nats play the Brewers?
    It was the Brewers. And for at least 2 of the homers there was a strong wind blowing out to left - Rendon hit what he thought was a fly ball out, threw his bat down in disgust, and then watched the ball land in the visitors bullpen (and he apologized to the first baseman and catcher as he rounded the bases). Then the next batter Soto hit an opposite field HR helped by the same wind. And on top of that it was a super hot and humid day in DC.

    But in general you are right. This year I've seen a lot of swings that looked like fly outs end up as homers. Not sure if it's juiced balls, more aerodynamic balls, higher average pitcher velocity, all-or-nothing launch angle maximization approach, improved player strength, or a combination of all of the above. During the ball controversy during All Star weekend it seemed that the analysis showed that the balls were more aerodynamic with lower seams so they traveled farther due to less spin and less wind resistance. If this is true, I would assume this would have an effect on pitchers as well - while the aerodynamics might get them more velocity (and I feel like pitchers I've been watching for years are throwing 2-3 mph harder this year), it has to hurt natural movement on fastballs and break on off-speed pitchers, which would also benefit the batters. Definitely something that needs further investigation, but I feel like MLB likes the homers and probably won't do much.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    For the ultimate in Wind Blowing Out games, the following is pretty entertaining, also has some extended history on some stuff of interest...

    https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Innings-W.../dp/B07HF294MD

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    As much as I like to see the Phillies lose, didn't the Nats play the Brewers?
    Yes, you're right of course. I don't know why I said "Phillies" -- I even watched much of the Saturday game on TV.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Similar Threads

  1. Premier League (and other soccer stuff) 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-02-2019, 09:29 AM
  2. 2019 Duke Baseball
    By duke2x in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM
  3. The 2014 Major League baseball season
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 656
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
  4. Major League Baseball - 2013
    By JBDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 679
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •