Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think he has an outside "shot" (pun not intended). He doesn't hunt for his shot very often with duke, because he doesn't need to. He has this innate ability, like his brother, to know when things are stagnating and he needs to mix it up...otherwise he's a master facilitator. So I think he CAN do some of the things people don't see him do very often, but he doesn't.

Is 3 + d + excellent distributor + sometimes scorer enough to get on an all star team? If he were a couple inches taller, probably.

Ultimately I agree with you, he won't be a regular all star, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he made a team once in his career.
    Though he has become more of a primary scorer in recent years, Mike Conley fits the bolded description pretty closely. Of course, he has never made an All-Star team, though he's certainly been in the conversation some years.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Though he has become more of a primary scorer in recent years, Mike Conley fits the bolded description pretty closely. Of course, he has never made an All-Star team, though he's certainly been in the conversation some years.
    I feel like PG is maybe the hardest position to make the all-star game. There is a ton of competition. I'm not sure I see Tre as a likely candidate to make an all-star game, but I'm sure he'll have a long career in the NBA.

Just to add, for those who may not know, Bobby Hurley is STILL the all-time assist leader in the NCAA with 1,076. Some of them were quite spectacular.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

That's all I mean. If you're a borderline player, and things line up and you have a hot streak for a few games in the first half of the year, you can make a team even if that level of play is unsustainable.
    April 1

Conley has been a pretty consistent upper teens-low 20ppg scorer over the past decade and actually isn't that great a distributor (never gotten even 7 assists per game in his career). He's far, far more of an offensive threat than Tre is at this point. Not saying Tre won't develop it, but I think the odds are kinda slim.

-Jason "has Conley ever really been in the All-Star conversation? I don't fell like I ever really thought of him as one of the 25 or so best players in the league... maybe my memory is fading" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Zion truly defies description. His talent ans athleticism are obviously off the charts. His attitude is contagious - I love how courtside interviews BEG him to brag about himself and he deflects everything back to the team and the program. Announcers can't help but gush when they cover him. Even UNC fans seem unable to hide their flat out fascination with him.

He's a generational talent at the least. The closest thing I can remember is Durant's year at Texas. But geez, he was so skinny. I'm a touch too young to make the David Thompson comparison, but in old school ACC circles, it's the closeat thing I have heard.

All the discussion over if he is "the best" Duke player are a little silly since no one agrees on metrics. But I defy anyone to propose a Duke player with more jaw-dropping, physics-defying, opponent-demoralizing moments in four years than Zion has had in three months.

We are blessed - both to witness him as a special unprecedented player, and to have him on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Conley has been a pretty consistent upper teens-low 20ppg scorer over the past decade and actually isn't that great a distributor (never gotten even 7 assists per game in his career). He's far, far more of an offensive threat than Tre is at this point. Not saying Tre won't develop it, but I think the odds are kinda slim.

-Jason "has Conley ever really been in the All-Star conversation? I don't fell like I ever really thought of him as one of the 25 or so best players in the league... maybe my memory is fading" Evans
    Yes. If he played in the East he would have been on multiple teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Conley has been more of a primary scorer in the past 3 years, but prior to that had only one season in which he averaged more than 15.8 ppg, which is definitely secondary scoring territory for an NBA starter. I would agree that he is not a great distributor, although his totals have been depressed somewhat by the tempo at which Memphis has played during his tenure, as well as the extent to which Marc Gasol has been used as a playmaker. But I'm not sure Tre has shown yet that he is a great distributor, either (vs a very good one who takes great care of the ball).

https://www.basketball-reference.com...conlemi01.html

Tre is listed as 6'2", and the height seems legitimate.

Players who have been NBA All Stars, are currently active, and are 6'2" and under:
    Isaiah Thomas, Jameer Nelson, Chris Paul, Kyle Lowery, Kemba Walker, Rajon Rando, Jeff Teague, and Tony Parker.

If you edge up to 6'3", you get Steph, Devin Harris, Kyrie, Derrick Rose, Goran Dragic, Damian Lillard, and Russell Westbrook.

That's 15. And that's just off the top of my head.

If you include guys who have retired in the past 5 or 10 years, the list gets quite a bit longer.

Admittedly, some of those folks have freakish skills that Tre does not possess--unless he is holding back a superpower for the NCAA tournament.

If Tre is the best on-the-ball defender that K has ever had, has a capable jump shot that will improve (ie, he's not Billy King), is already an excellent distributor, and gets drafted by a team at the end of the 1st round, I think there's a reasonable chance that he blossoms into a starting/excellent point guard on an elite team, which I think means all star consideration.

Cam is even more likely to be a star, especially when he can practice that jump shot all day.

On the other hand, I'm still not convinced that Tre and Cam are currently ready to be in the rotation on an NBA team.

PS "off the top of my head" = https://www.justallstar.com/nba-all-...ers-by-height/

The list is shorter, btw, of players who are 6'7", 275, and can run like a bull, dance like a dream, and project happiness into the world.

Earlier this season Javin DeLaurier quoted a member of the Duke training staff.

"You guys all won the genetic lottery. Zion won it twice."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Earlier this season Javin DeLaurier quoted a member of the Duke training staff.

"You guys all won the genetic lottery. Zion won it twice."
    I guess that makes him ZZ Top.

(I'll close the door behind me .)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The list is shorter, btw, of players who are 6'7", 275, and can run like a bull, dance like a dream, and project happiness into the world.
    You inspired me to make a meme...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Anthony Davis of Kentucky fame to me had the greatest college basketball season since 2000.

2012 NCAA Champion
    2012 Final Four MOP
    2012 Naismith/Wooden/AP POY
    2012 Defensive POY
    2012 SEC POY
    2012 1st Team AA

The Brow missed out on SEC Tournament MVP to John Jenkins because UK lost to Vandy in the championship.

If Zion sweeps every major award in his 1 season, he"ll undoubtedly have had the greatest season of all time by a Duke player and will join the All-Time Top 5 Season conversation across college basketball history.

Soak it in folks, this is the moment we've all waited for: an iconic NBA player who went to Duke. That was the only thing we were ever lacking as a program.

We've never had a MJ, Isaiah, Magic, Kareem, Steph Curry, KD, Anthony Davis but we finally might now in Zion.

It's going to elevate the Duke brand even more.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Admittedly, some of those folks have freakish skills that Tre does not possess--unless he is holding back a superpower for the NCAA tournament.

If Tre is the best on-the-ball defender that K has ever had, has a capable jump shot that will improve (ie, he's not Billy King), is already an excellent distributor, and gets drafted by a team at the end of the 1st round, I think there's a reasonable chance that he blossoms into a starting/excellent point guard on an elite team, which I think means all star consideration.

Cam is even more likely to be a star, especially when he can practice that jump shot all day.

On the other hand, I'm still not convinced that Tre and Cam are currently ready to be in the rotation on an NBA team.
    I think that's all a fair assessment. Zion and RJ are clearly a step ahead of tre and cam in NBA readiness...and there's nothing wrong with that for tre and cam. These guys are 18, i don't think you have to necessarily be ready for an NBA rotation at 18 to be an all star candidate down the road...russell westbrook anyone? (not saying tre and cam are westbrook, just that not being NBA ready at 18 is not necessarily a disqualifier from being an allstar down the road)
    April 1

This has been a fun thread to follow not only because it reminds me to appreciate the season Zion, RJ, and Duke are having, but also because it's fun to remember just how many fantastic individual and team seasons we've been able to enjoy as Duke fans.

What has impressed me so much about Zion is how much he's improved since the season began even as the competition has gotten tougher. He's cut down on offensive fouls, improved his already-excellent shot selection to be a perfect model of efficiency, improved his free throw percentage, and even improved his assist rate. And he's done all of this while seeing a small increase in usage rate, too. It's simply insane. He hasn't made huge leaps in any of these categories, but the incremental improvements he's made in all facets of his game have turned him into a special player who is playing the game like a seasoned veteran. Usually we spend January talking about how -insert freshman's name- has to adjust his game to deal with ACC play. That has not been the case with Zion.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This has been a fun thread to follow not only because it reminds me to appreciate the season Zion, RJ, and Duke are having, but also because it's fun to remember just how many fantastic individual and team seasons we've been able to enjoy as Duke fans.

What has impressed me so much about Zion is how much he's improved since the season began even as the competition has gotten tougher. He's cut down on offensive fouls, improved his already-excellent shot selection to be a perfect model of efficiency, improved his free throw percentage, and even improved his assist rate. And he's done all of this while seeing a small increase in usage rate, too. It's simply insane. He hasn't made huge leaps in any of these categories, but the incremental improvements he's made in all facets of his game have turned him into a special player who is playing the game like a seasoned veteran. Usually we spend January talking about how -insert freshman's name- has to adjust his game to deal with ACC play. That has not been the case with Zion.
    Very true. The ACC has had to adjust to deal with Zion’s play.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Very true. The ACC has had to adjust to deal with Zion’s play.
    As does the rotation of the earth, the stock market, and quantum mechanics....

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Soak it in folks, this is the moment we've all waited for: an iconic NBA player who went to Duke. That was the only thing we were ever lacking as a program.

We've never had a MJ, Isaiah, Magic, Kareem, Steph Curry, KD, Anthony Davis but we finally might now in Zion.

It's going to elevate the Duke brand even more.
    Zion already has elevated the Duke brand. The Duke brand normally does the elevating of the player...but in this case, it cuts both ways. (well, Laettner both elevated and lowered the brand...LOL, but that's the four year era and Laettner is in a class by himself for numerous reasons).

This is quite astonishing really. Duke has had the top brand in college (more or less) since the early 90s...but normally the haters groan when Duke gets so much ESPN time. Now people across the country can't wait to see the Duke games and then the Zion highlights on SportsCenter. Zion is impossible to hate - and in a way this is driving the Duke haters insane...but they can't stop watching nonetheless.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Zion already has elevated the Duke brand. The Duke brand normally does the elevating of the player...but in this case, it cuts both ways. (well, Laettner both elevated and lowered the brand...LOL, but that's the four year era and Laettner is in a class by himself for numerous reasons).

This is quite astonishing really. Duke has had the top brand in college (more or less) since the early 90s...but normally the haters groan when Duke gets so much ESPN time. Now people across the country can't wait to see the Duke games and then the Zion highlights on SportsCenter. Zion is impossible to hate - and in a way this is driving the Duke haters insane...but they can't stop watching nonetheless.
    Now when someone tells me they hate (terrible word choice) Duke basketball, I ask them how they feel about Zion.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Maybe this wasn't clear, but in the chain of posts between me and the poster I was quoiting, they are weighting pro career success heavily and my lists/comments in response are based on accepting that premise (not saying I think that is the best way to evaluate players, but in this case those are the rules I'm playing by). You don't have to defend Hurley to me. Context matters.
    Doh! (Tucks tail - walks away) Sorry, carry on. (Sometimes at work it is hard to read all the details - no excuses, I'll do better.)