Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's a good comparison with the bolded part being understated. The team that drafts Zion #1 will want him to be the offensive fulcrum, the primary playmaker on offense. I think he'll be able to do that Giannis-style where if you surround Zion with 4 shooters, he'll either score at the rim or find the open guy. On defense, Draymond is one of the greatest defenders of all-time, so Zion probably won't be quite that good, but you're right that he should be able to guard all 5 positions and Zion-at-the-5 projects to be a devastating look.

Personality-wise, I'm hoping that Zion will be more likable and will do less nutcracking on the court.

Should be noted that Green is only shooting 23% from three this season and is only at 32% for his career. Zion could be worse, of course, but I'd give him a solid chance to match that.
    I think Zion should study Dramond on D and basically ignore him on offense. Sure, Draymond is a really good passer, but Zion has really different offensive skills and is a good passer. Zion also already is great at Draymond's other great skill, turning a defensive rebound into a fast break, the rip and go. But Draymond is a defensive savant. If Zion could learn from his court awareness and positioning, he'd really improve.

It's a good comparison with the bolded part being understated. The team that drafts Zion #1 will want him to be the offensive fulcrum, the primary playmaker on offense. I think he'll be able to do that Giannis-style where if you surround Zion with 4 shooters, he'll either score at the rim or find the open guy. On defense, Draymond is one of the greatest defenders of all-time, so Zion probably won't be quite that good, but you're right that he should be able to guard all 5 positions and Zion-at-the-5 projects to be a devastating look.

Personality-wise, I'm hoping that Zion will be more likable and will do less nutcracking on the court.

Should be noted that Green is only shooting 23% from three this season and is only at 32% for his career. Zion could be worse, of course, but I'd give him a solid chance to match that.
    Yeah, Green was above league average from 3 only one time in his career - it is an overblown part of his game. That said, Zion's mechanics (very low arc on the ball), don't leave much margin for error for either line, which makes me think he might have to tweak his form to make the leap. I think he has the touch and coordination, just needs to tweak the mechanics a little to increase his percentages.

Draymond Green is a tremendously valuable player, but Zion's skills and upside are so much higher. It should never be considered an expectation, he's still just 18 and who knows how it will all work out in the NBA, but the upside is there to be an evolutionary Lebron, one of the top players in the league and an all-time great.

It's amazing that we've gotten to that point considering the consensus wasn't really sure exactly how Zion's game would fit coming out of high school, and he generally wasn't considered our top incoming player. But the consistent impact that he's shown, the numbers and the eye test both being off the charts, and the unprecedented athletic package he brings to the table mean that the sky is the limit. His skills have played out extremely well in the college game and should also work well in the space of the NBA, especially if he can continue to improve his shooting.

Red face

Agree 100% on the offensive point...

I think we would see Green more offensive minded if he played on a different team, he does only shoot the ball 6-7 times per game. He doesn't need to score for GS to be good. (They have Cook )

We can pick a few players in the NBA that Zion's game reminds us of (Star Power of Lebron being one).

As for the defense, he does lead Duke in steals, rebounds, and blocks. I would say his defense is pretty good

But in the end, he is going to be Zion and its going to be fun watching him grow in the future.

I don't watch as much NBA as most on DBR, but from my limited eye test, I agree with everything you just posted, especially the bolded. I will say that Green appears to be the type of player that most would want on their team and be well liked. But fans of opposing teams, he's probably hated. As for Zion vs. Green, I think Zion is much quicker, more athletic and is way more humble than Green. The latter being one of the reasons that Zion is well liked by opposing fans. The young man is a once in a life time player. I'm not saying he's the best in a lifetime but his make up is once in a lifetime. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Zion is so good he schooled Nick Horvath in pickup games last summer.
    In Horvath’s defence, he is 37 and not quite in his prime anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Actually, I think the entire court changes when he's simply on the court, ball or not...his "gravitational field" is a great metaphor...
    Metaphor? With his size it could be literal...

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    ...I will say that Green appears to be the type of player that most would want on their team and be well liked. But fans of opposing teams, he's probably hated. As for Zion vs. Green, I think Zion is much quicker, more athletic and is way more humble than Green...
    Plus, Green give the impression that he is as dumb as a mud fence. Zion most assuredly does not and is not.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

There's a new article on The Ringer that puts Zion into some rather rarefied air as an athlete who has to be seen to be believed. Very long article, worth a read.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/15/...rry-bo-jackson
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There's a new article on The Ringer that puts Zion into some rather rarefied air as an athlete who has to be seen to be believed. Very long article, worth a read.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/15/...rry-bo-jackson
    This is only tangentially related to the article (which is a nice read, thanks for sharing!), but it is really interesting to see how no one predicted how good Zion would be. Heading into the season, even those of us like me who were giddy that Duke had landed the top three players in the class were also mindful of the fact that most scouts viewed the high school class of 2018 to be weaker at the top with no one as talented as Marvin Bagley, Ben Simmons, or Karl Anthony-Towns.

Fast-forward to today and Zion is regarded as a generational talent. It's amazing how quickly things can change.

And to be fair to those scouts, my amateur eyes told me the same thing when I watched the summer exhibitions in Canada. Zion looked like he would be a force, but I never saw a generational talent.

It's just amazing how much he's improved over the past year.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Plus, Green give the impression that he is as dumb as a mud fence. Zion most assuredly does not and is not.
    I think Draymond is brilliant. Mercurial, but brilliant. The entire KD argument he had earlier in the year was about KD not playing the "right" way and then the implication that he was playing that way for selfish reasons. Using relatively colorful language, I'm sure.