Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zion!

The tweet about his passing had nothing to do with the article lol..well it was naysayers but it wasnt the writers words

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    The tweet about his passing had nothing to do with the article lol..well it was naysayers but it wasnt the writers words
    So what?

There are some scouts and writers out there saying Zion's passing is a weakness. That's sheer ignorance for anyone who's paying attention. Most of them are just glomming onto his average of 2.3 APG, which is shallow analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    He's a very good passer, and you simply never even try, let alone pull that pass to RJ off, unless you are a confident passer with a great feel for the game. That's not a lucky pass. That's a Larry Bird pass.
    Whoa, you played the Larry Bird card — the highest possible praise. I’m going to rewatch this Zion pass right now.

No.

I love Elton, but Zion is far superior athletically, far better ball handler, far better passer, or more creative passer, and much quicker to make the steal or the block. Their games are totally different.
    No, they're not the same for sure. But remember this about Elton:
    Listed at 6'9" (or 6'8") 254#; National player of the year as a sophomore at Duke (injured for a good part of his freshman year); stats his sophomore year were 17.7 pts/game, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks
    First player selected in the NBA draft and averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds as a rookie
    A great run/jump athlete? no, but outstanding strength and quickness with sure hands, good moves and a presence on defense, too

There are some similarities with Elton, but like other great players, Zion is unique in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Listed at 6'9" (or 6'8") 254#; National player of the year as a sophomore at Duke (injured for a good part of his freshman year); stats his sophomore year were 17.7 pts/game, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks
    First player selected in the NBA draft and averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds as a rookie
    A great run/jump athlete? no, but outstanding strength and quickness with sure hands, good moves and a presence on defense, too

There are some similarities with Elton, but like other great players, Zion is unique in many ways.
    By the time of the '99 draft, I think Elton had shrunk to like 6'3".
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whoa, you played the Larry Bird card — the highest possible praise. I’m going to rewatch this Zion pass right now.
    It's emblazoned in my memory, not something I need to go back and rewatch. If he wins national honors as expected that series of plays will be part of the highlight package.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    By the time of the '99 draft, I think Elton had shrunk to like 6'3".
    Another Zion/Brand similarity. Zion is actually 6’4”, 210# barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Another Zion/Brand similarity. Zion is actually 6’4”, 210# barefoot.
    Pretty sure he’d have to take off some of his muscles to get near 210.

roy, I remember Elton has huge hands. Maybe the largest of anyone I've seen play at Duke. I can't remember the publication but there was a picture of one of his hands that covered the entire page and it was a large page. Yes, those were sure hands as well. A great Duke player. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    It's emblazoned in my memory, not something I need to go back and rewatch. If he wins national honors as expected that series of plays will be part of the highlight package.
    That's right, it was part of an amazing "block/catch" of a UK shot - and go - threading the improbable pass from about mid court - I think. IIRC it was Jay Bilas' most emphatic "are you kidding me" moment of the broadcast...

So:
    A: But all he can do is dunk and
    B: yeah, we saw Elton do that all the time...
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 02-08-2019 at 07:55 AM.

That's right, it was part of an amazing "block/catch" of a UK shot - and go - threading the improbably pass from about mid court I think. IIRC it was Jay Bilas' most emphatic "are you kidding me" moment of the broadcast...

So:
    A: But all he can do is dunk and
    B: yeah, we saw Elton do that all the time...
    I don't think we've seen any player do what Zion does game in game out. He's one of a kind. GoDuke!

I agree there are some similarities with Elton, who was also a monster in college. He didn’t have the perimeter quickness that Zion does, but he was okay with erasing shots, swallowing rebounds and dominating inside on the way to national POY.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I don't think we've seen any player do what Zion does game in game out. He's one of a kind. GoDuke!
    ...I'm thinking, and hoping, you caught the SARC in that part....just checking...

...I'm thinking, and hoping, you caught the SARC in that part...just checking...
    Oh, I did. I was just agreeing with you. GoDuke!

IIRC it was Jay Bilas' most emphatic "are you kidding me" moment of the broadcast...
    “Spectacular!”
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

roy, I remember Elton has huge hands. Maybe the largest of anyone I've seen play at Duke. I can't remember the publication but there was a picture of one of his hands that covered the entire page and it was a large page. Yes, those were sure hands as well. A great Duke player. GoDuke!
    Okafor made the basketball look like a nerf ball. Just sayin’

This was going to be my comment (hand size).

NBA scouts love to analyze a player's metrics and the intangibles (such as wingspan). At the pre-draft camp (per DraftExpress), Elton Brand measured 6-8.5 without shows, 6-9.5 with shoes and 6’8 ¼” without shoes, with an incredible 7-5.5 wingspan and 9-2 standing reach.

While I could not find the specific measurements of Brand's hands, it had been noted that Jahlil Okafor had huge hands, close in size to those of Brand. Okafor was presumed to have a hand length of 9.5 inches (the average hand length for a male is 7.4 inches) and a hand span/spread of 11.25 inches (the average male's hand span is 8.5 inches). And as we know, Okafor could famously hold 13 tennis balls in one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jeff Goodman of Stadium (formerly of ESPN) has this neat article and video up about what it's like to defend against Zion Williamson. He interviewed 12 players that have had the unique opportunity this season. There are some technical aspects to it, like how much space you should give, how some prefer to take away his left hand dribble, etc. I loved the multiple references to his non-stop motor and how he is just super nice and has no ego on the court.

https://watchstadium.com/news/defend...ar-02-05-2019/

A personal favorite quote: “He was different than other high-profile players that think they are The Man. He’s quieter. He doesn’t sh*t-talk. I said something to him and he just smiled back.”
    For all his athletic and basketball gifts, I think ultimately what makes him a "generational" player is his mentality and humbleness.

He just infects his teammates and plays the game the right way. No complaining. No I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. talking. Just straight up hard work and outworking folks on the court.

Off the court he is a model citizen and someone you just want to be around. He also genuinely loves to play the game! Honestly, enjoy it while we can. This year has flown by so quickly already. I can't remember a time when a team was this fun to watch and with such a likeable star.

Looks like David Thorpe, who usually doesn't start watching college guys until closer to draft time, has started watching some film...

@coachthorpe
    Zion Williamson is why NBA teams are tanking. 1) Best prospect since LeBron. 2) Physical dominance of @Shaq @russwest44 @kingjames, + disposition to do so. 3) Heart-most amazing thing about @zionW32 highlights is they happen all the time.

I saw Barkley in person at Auburn-I was a frosh at UF. Ever wonder how good Charles Barkley would have been at 19 yrs old if he was in great shape then? Zion is that, but way taller and longer. I think he is quicker too-and I called Charles the Dream Team MVP

As prospects go, already having the perfect pro body is an easy way to relax fears when determining upside. Imagine if Giannis looked like he does now back when he was in the draft. Same player but this body and he goes top 3.

Some Hall of Fame Players needed a good franchise/coach around them to reach their full potential I think Tim Duncan was one of them. Kawhi and Draymond too (not Hall of Fame yet of course). LeBron, Giannis are guys who would be elite anywhere. Zion is in that rare air.

Zion is going #1 overall and whomever gets the 2nd pick is going to be deeply upset. That's how special he is, because there are some other gems in this class.

I was very high on Ben Simmons as a defender when he was entering the league. I think he can be Defensive POY one year. I don't see Zion reaching that level but he can be an all-league defender, an on and off the ball impact guy.

Zion's defense

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Looks like David Thorpe, who usually doesn't start watching college guys until closer to draft time, has started watching some film...

@coachthorpe
    Zion Williamson is why NBA teams are tanking. 1) Best prospect since LeBron. 2) Physical dominance of @Shaq @russwest44 @kingjames, + disposition to do so. 3) Heart-most amazing thing about @zionW32 highlights is they happen all the time.

I saw Barkley in person at Auburn-I was a frosh at UF. Ever wonder how good Charles Barkley would have been at 19 yrs old if he was in great shape then? Zion is that, but way taller and longer. I think he is quicker too-and I called Charles the Dream Team MVP

As prospects go, already having the perfect pro body is an easy way to relax fears when determining upside. Imagine if Giannis looked like he does now back when he was in the draft. Same player but this body and he goes top 3.

Some Hall of Fame Players needed a good franchise/coach around them to reach their full potential I think Tim Duncan was one of them. Kawhi and Draymond too (not Hall of Fame yet of course). LeBron, Giannis are guys who would be elite anywhere. Zion is in that rare air.

Zion is going #1 overall and whomever gets the 2nd pick is going to be deeply upset. That's how special he is, because there are some other gems in this class.

I was very high on Ben Simmons as a defender when he was entering the league. I think he can be Defensive POY one year. I don't see Zion reaching that level but he can be an all-league defender, an on and off the ball impact guy.
    I certainly agree that Zion is a strong defender. I don't think he's gotten enough credit for that this year, other than for his blocks. He's great defending guards at the three point line and he's also becoming a very good help defender. That to me is what separates him from the other amazing OADs at Duke in the last decade.