Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThame...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Poor passer? Has he even seen Zion play once?
    The replies are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jeff Goodman of Stadium (formerly of ESPN) has this neat article and video up about what it's like to defend against Zion Williamson. He interviewed 12 players that have had the unique opportunity this season. There are some technical aspects to it, like how much space you should give, how some prefer to take away his left hand dribble, etc. I loved the multiple references to his non-stop motor and how he is just super nice and has no ego on the court.

https://watchstadium.com/news/defend...ar-02-05-2019/

A personal favorite quote: “He was different than other high-profile players that think they are The Man. He’s quieter. He doesn’t sh*t-talk. I said something to him and he just smiled back.”
    Thanks for posting that.

All of the character quotes were great, and also very consistent, including the ref's comment. Love it!

Zion Williamson has yet to pick up a technical this season. One referee who has worked multiple Duke games this season told Stadium that Williamson “never complains about anything, he just goes out and plays.”

George Blagojevic: “He was different than other high-profile players that think they are The Man. He’s quieter. He doesn’t I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.-talk. I said something to him and he just smiled back.”

Aamir Simms: “I know him off the court and he’s a real humble kid. He’s not a trash-talker, he’s humble and real down to earth. He’s not arrogant on the court, or off the court.”

Jaylen Hoard: “On the court, he engages with his teammates. Off the court, he’s a regular kid. Humble. Some of the guys that are so highly rated are arrogant, but that’s not him.”

Myles Stephens: “He’s a nice kid, no trash talk. He’s passionate about the game, and when he makes a big play, he’ll get hyped. He’s a good kid. In the game, I accidentally elbowed him in the nose and he just continued to play. He didn’t say anything. He’s a super nice kid.”

Jordan Bruner: “He’s a great kid, a humble kid. I think he’s handled all the media attention pretty well, but he’s always been level-headed.”

Matt Mitchell: “You can tell he’s a great kid, and that he’s fun to be around. He’s a high-character kid whose teammates really feed off him – especially with the energy he brings.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThame...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Yeah, silly tweet, especially since Giannis is perhaps the leading MVP candidate this season.

The path for Zion to become a top-10 player in the NBA (or more) is to dominate at the rim like Giannis and then use that threat to create for teammates. And considering Zion shoots an absurd 75% from two-pt range thanks to his dominance at the rim in college, I think we can project Zion to be an elite finisher in the NBA as well.

And my gut feeling is that Zion will eventually hit threes at a good percentage, too.

We've heard a lot about Williamson deflecting praise and attention.

Let me give an example.

Post-game, Boston College. Once the locker room is open, the guys with the cameras descend on Williamson, basically controlling him until they get their shots. Hand-to-hand combat. Thirty seconds after the locker room is open, Williamson is surrounded.

This process started after the BC game. But Williamson starts yelling "Cam's over there, Cam's over there," pointing at Reddish.

The message was clear. Why do you want to talk to me when Reddish had the great game?

A small data point to be sure. But consistent with what I've seen.

Any team that gets him will immediately benefit financially. The lone exception would be the Knicks who sell out anyway. Teams like Phoenix, Cleveland, Brooklyn, Atlanta will immediately sell 5,000 or more extra season tickets, assuming they have that number to sell.
    I've been a hoops fan since the set shot and the underhand foul were the only way to shoot. I've never seen anything like this phenominum(?sp).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    We've heard a lot about Williamson deflecting praise and attention.

Let me give an example.

Post-game, Boston College. Once the locker room is open, the guys with the cameras descend on Williamson, basically controlling him until they get their shots. Hand-to-hand combat. Thirty seconds after the locker room is open, Williamson is surrounded.

This process started after the BC game. But Williamson starts yelling "Cam's over there, Cam's over there," pointing at Reddish.

The message was clear. Why do you want to talk to me when Reddish had the great game?

A small data point to be sure. But consistent with what I've seen.
    I got a you must spread comments around message - so instead, I'll publicly send appreciation for your insights. This vignette is telling and, as you said, consistent with what others are saying. What a great team.

@GoodmanHoops
    Just talked to LeBron about Zion. Extremely impressed, said he was about 220 pounds at same stage & not nearly as powerful. Thought Zion weighed 260 (he’s 285). Made mention to that playing for Coach K is extremely important for him and being prepared for next season in NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @GoodmanHoops
    Just talked to LeBron about Zion. Extremely impressed, said he was about 220 pounds at same stage & not nearly as powerful. Thought Zion weighed 260 (he’s 285). Made mention to that playing for Coach K is extremely important for him and being prepared for next season in NBA.
    there's no way zion still weighs 285. as far as I know that was his reported preseason weight, and he's visibly leaner than he was then.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    there's no way zion still weighs 285. as far as I know that was his reported preseason weight, and he's visibly leaner than he was then.
    Yeah, it seems with every post game pic I see, he gets more and more chiseled.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jeff Goodman of Stadium (formerly of ESPN) has this neat article and video up about what it's like to defend against Zion Williamson. He interviewed 12 players that have had the unique opportunity this season. There are some technical aspects to it, like how much space you should give, how some prefer to take away his left hand dribble, etc. I loved the multiple references to his non-stop motor and how he is just super nice and has no ego on the court.

https://watchstadium.com/news/defend...ar-02-05-2019/

A personal favorite quote: “He was different than other high-profile players that think they are The Man. He’s quieter. He doesn’t sh*t-talk. I said something to him and he just smiled back.”
    After reading that article I don't understand why we don't just bring in kids like Zion every year. It's baffling.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Agreed. It's my one pet peeve of all the coverage on him. Zion himself was quoted early in the season that he'd already gotten down to 270 (maybe he said 272 or something) The 285 was this summer.

Still, even if he's only 265, that is still one big dude. His shoulders/arms are just enormous. Some journalist described his shoulders as like a crossbow which I thought was pretty clever.

yeah, early in the season K or someone who knows said he was 272...that seems more realistic. Still not a featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    After reading that article I don't understand why we don't just bring in kids like Zion every year. It's baffling.
    I agree. I’m so frustrated the staff hasn’t gotten more Zions.

I have seen Zion make a considerable number of nice passes to Duke teammates. I’m not on Twitter so I don’t know what negative things were said about Zion’s passing. Regardless, I strongly disagree. His passing is just fine — could be better, could be a LOT worse. This Twitter poster is barking up the wrong tree.

Does Zion remind any others of Elton Brand? Somewhat similar in body type, inside game, and humble nature.

Maybe Elton with wings?

A little

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Does Zion remind any others of Elton Brand? Somewhat similar in body type, inside game, and humble nature.

Maybe Elton with wings?
    Elton’s body with Grant Hill’s agility, leaping, ball handling, and passing.

I know — this absurd, but it’s what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No.

I love Elton, but Zion is far superior athletically, far better ball handler, far better passer, or more creative passer, and much quicker to make the steal or the block. Their games are totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I have seen Zion make a considerable number of nice passes to Duke teammates. I’m not on Twitter so I don’t know what negative things were said about Zion’s passing. Regardless, I strongly disagree. His passing is just fine — could be better, could be a LOT worse. This Twitter poster is barking up the wrong tree.
    I'd call him a good passer almost based on that Kentucky pass alone.

Oh yeah. That was sweet!

He's a very good passer, and you simply never even try, let alone pull that pass to RJ off, unless you are a confident passer with a great feel for the game. That's not a lucky pass. That's a Larry Bird pass.