Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion!

DMB Twitter posted this photo with the headline: Real Life or a Video Game?

-Jason "for the DMB Top 5 plays from the game they cheated... the #1 play is all 4 of Zion's ridiculous blocks" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I have no problem putting Zion on my personal Mt. Rushmore of Duke players already.

That would be Grant Hill, Jason Williams, Zion Williamson, and Kyrie Irving.

Obviously not considering total college career. This is a talent-based Mt. Rushmore.
    Championship Mt. Rushmore for Duke players:

Laettner, Hurley, Hill and Battier. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    DMB Twitter posted this photo with the headline: Real Life or a Video Game?

-Jason "for the DMB Top 5 plays from the game they cheated... the #1 play is all 4 of Zion's ridiculous blocks" Evans

"Goal Tending"
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I just posted on the game thread about Zion covering for his teammates when beaten by their man. How he comes from no where and block a shot. Shane could do that to a degree but he couldn't cover that much ground. I don't think I've seen any Duke player that can cover that much ground. Yeh, and Billy was a great defender but he did it a different way. I'm in awe of one Mr. Zion Williamson. GoDuke!
    Battier culd cover a little bit of ground.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    "Goal Tending"
    But wasn't it awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    But wasn't it awesome?
    It's an outside reference to miami's "pass interference"
    1200. DDMF.

I didn't think I'd see a more electric season from a player in my lifetime after JJ's 2006. Zion's 2019 is better so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Battier culd cover a little bit of ground.

That was awesome, at least partly because Battier didn't try to slam the ball and foul Forte--all he needed to do was poke at it (okay, "all" warrants quotation marks)

Fair or not, the way that we remember Zion is going to depend in large part on how well the team performs in the tournament. If we lose in the Elite 8 like last season, I don’t think anybody will be talking about Zion being among the all-time greats even if he finishes with a PER of 45. It’s just how we’re wired to rewrite history as fans.

I also think that NBA success plays a role in how we remember the OAD’s. Hence Parker and Okafor are easily overlooked, while Tatum is lauded as one of the greats. It’s hard to separate everything and just look at how good a player’s season was.

All told, I do think that five or ten years from now we’re going to look back and feel happy that we got to be a part of watching Zion dominate for this season. This is a really special and entertaining team and it’s hard to fully appreciate it in the moment. If we do go on to win the title, then Zion will achieve mythical status and will be held up there right along the Duke greats like Hurley and Laettner even though he only played one season.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Fair or not, the way that we remember Zion is going to depend in large part on how well the team performs in the tournament. If we lose in the Elite 8 like last season, I don’t think anybody will be talking about Zion being among the all-time greats even if he finishes with a PER of 45. It’s just how we’re wired to rewrite history as fans.

I also think that NBA success plays a role in how we remember the OAD’s. Hence Parker and Okafor are easily overlooked, while Tatum is lauded as one of the greats. It’s hard to separate everything and just look at how good a player’s season was.

All told, I do think that five or ten years from now we’re going to look back and feel happy that we got to be a part of watching Zion dominate for this season. This is a really special and entertaining team and it’s hard to fully appreciate it in the moment. If we do go on to win the title, then Zion will achieve mythical status and will be held up there right along the Duke greats like Hurley and Laettner even though he only played one season.
    I think we will remember Zion regardless. He is just so unusual. But I agree that it may be more for what he might do at the next level and recognizing that Duke was a part of that journey. That said, the next level is no gimme for Zion. Shooting is skill key in the NBA- even if you are a very big body.

I have no problem putting Zion on my personal Mt. Rushmore of Duke players already.

Obviously not considering total college career. This is a talent-based Mt. Rushmore.
    Dawkins was pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

I disagree. If Duke losses in the first weekend and Zion has a PER of 40-45, we'll remember him fondly. The dude is too unique and dominant for us not to. Now, will we remember the team in 5-10 years if they lose in the first round? That's where I agree with you that we likely won't.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I don't think you can justify keeping Laettner off of a talent-based Mt. Rushmore. His performances against other elite centers just doesn't justify that. Probably not even JJ, maybe not even Hurley. But of course we can't have 8 people on there, there is only room for four. Remember that Laettner still had a pretty good NBA career, that could have been better if not for an achilles injury (If we aren't holding that against J-Will we shouldn't hold it against Laettner).

Mine:

Grant Hill, Jason Williams, Laettner, Zion (not necessarily in that order)

Dawkins, JJ and Battier miss the cut by about .000002 points, and Hurley by about .000003. Kyrie does not qualify (too few games played, although I still consider him a Duke guy, pull for him in the NBA, and enjoyed his presence even while he was sidelined). Brand and Boozer probably merit some consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think you can justify keeping Laettner off of a talent-based Mt. Rushmore. Probably not even JJ, maybe not even Hurley. But of course we can't have 8 people on there, there is only room for four. Mine:

Grant Hill, Jason Williams, Laettner, Zion (not necessarily in that order)

Dawkins, JJ and Battier miss the cut by about .000002 points, and Hurley by about .000003. Kyrie does not qualify (too few games played, although I still consider him a Duke guy, pull for him in the NBA, and enjoyed his presence even while he was sidelined).
    I think it's quite easy to justify Kyrie over Laettner in a purely talent based top 4. Number of games played at Duke is obviously irrelevant to my list. My list is (IMO) the most talented 4 basketball players to ever play at Duke.

Kyrie was the 2nd best player on a NBA championship team and has 6 all-star appearances thus far in his career (soon to be 7). Laettner was the best college player of all time, but Kyrie's much more talented. It's not really even close.

Tyler freakin Hansbrough is the all-time ACC scoring leader. He was a 3 time consensus first team all-american and NCAA champion. He was garbage in the NBA. College is obviously not the highest level of basketball. Laettner was a good borderline all-star level NBA player before his devastating leg injury, but his level of athleticism was not adequate to dominate the pro game the same way he did in college. I think Laettner actually would have thrived in today's NBA much more so than in his time, as a 3 point shooting big man, but he's still no Kyrie.

For me, the #5 guy who almost made the list but not quite is still not Laettner, Battier, or Redick. It's probably Tatum.
    Last edited by kAzE; 01-29-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    But wasn't it awesome?
    IIRC, another goal tending of Zion's actually made the SCTop10

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    How lucky are we that Duke needs a mountain range, not simply one mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I disagree. If Duke losses in the first weekend and Zion has a PER of 40-45, we'll remember him fondly. The dude is too unique and dominant for us not to. Now, will we remember the team in 5-10 years if they lose in the first round? That's where I agree with you that we likely won't.
    We remember Kyrie, and he didn't even play half a season.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    By advanced metrics, he's the best freshman. His PER is absolutely ridiculous. Duke has had some great ones, but I think it's fair to say that, on the court, Zion has absolutely destroyed them. To put this in perspective, Zion's PER is currently 42.4. Jah Okafor's was 30.7. Kyrie? 32.5. Bagley? 30.6. Basically, Zion's PER is ~30% higher than the next best Duke freshman (Kyrie).
    Yeah, and there's no need to restrict it to just freshmen. I doubt Duke has ever had a player - senior, junior, whatever -- with Zion's PER.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I overlapped with Grant Hill at Duke and I think he is a lot more comparable to RJ than Zion. Grant was an incredible player to watch - so smooth and seemingly effortless. He would often make truly incredible plays (such as "the alley-oop") but he didn't have the wow factor that Zion has - you would just look up at the end of the game and realize what an excellent game he had had, and you could always count on him in the clutch. I think RJ is quite similar, though his defense isn't near where Grant's was. RJ makes his highlight reel plays but overall he blends in more.

Zion is much more bright lights than Grant was. This doesn't make him better or worse, just different. I am just amazed at how he manages to handle it all in such a calm, humble manner at age 18/19.
    Yeah, I was only comparing how good Grant and Zion were/are, not their styles. Although, as you mentioned, Grant certainly was capable of making some wow plays himself.

I think it's quite easy to justify Kyrie over Laettner in a purely talent based top 4. Number of games played at Duke is obviously irrelevant to my list. My list is (IMO) the most talented 4 basketball players to ever play at Duke.

Kyrie was the 2nd best player on a NBA championship team and has 6 all-star appearances thus far in his career (soon to be 7). Laettner was the best college player of all time, but Kyrie's much more talented. It's not really even close. If anything, the #5 guy who almost made the list but not quite is still not Laettner, Battier, or Redick. It's probably Tatum.
    I'm saying it disqualifies him from the Duke all-time leaderboards in the same way a guy who took 20 3 point shots in a season doesn't qualify for the 3PT% leaderboards. Not arguing that he isn't more talented, or that everyone has to follow that rule, just explaining that it is mine. No argument about him being more talented. Tatum is in the discussion but has more to prove before he gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    On the topic of Zion, but not on the topic of greatest player etc...his dunk in pregame warmups at ND my buddy filmed while at the game

https://mobile.twitter.com/IUraizee3...052277760?s=19
    Thank you.