Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    If Bud Foster wants a defensive player I'd say that's a pretty good sign. Great news and welcome aboard, Gary!
    Well, the guy may be worthy of being a big time recruit, but technically, Bud didn't want him...as Bud retires in a few weeks. Justin F wanted him though...

Ethan Wright, 3 Star wide receiver/running back, has reopened his recruitment.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well that stinks. Is Duke out completely or may he re-commit?

EDIT: From the Twitter:

Ethan Wright
    ‏ @EthanWright_25
    3h3 hours ago

I owe the Duke staff a huge thank you for everything, but I’ve decided to explore other options & reopen my recruitment.

My full focus now is on finishing the season strong with my Manchester teammates & I have no further comment on my college choice. Thanks for all the support

Hmm, sounds like he's moving on

Well that sux big time. Pretty late in the process. He was committed to us for 6 months. I hope we still have irons in the fire.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Recuriting

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Well that sux big time. Pretty late in the process. He was committed to us for 6 months. I hope we still have irons in the fire.
    We've suffered recruiting decommits in the past, but this year feels different. Of course, when you haven't won in a month, and you have a feckless offense then these type of things hit harder than normal. There is a lack of energy around the program that is palpable---nature of the beast, I guess. Cut is 65, but there was a lot more optimism on the sideline and in the preseason from him when he first came on board. I really enjoyed it when he would do the meet and greets during the first few years. Maybe, the changes in the recruiting calendar have altered that some.

With success comes comfort. Cut often talks about the players finding the winning edge. That's a lesson that the staff should re-discover. There's just something off.

Any other decommits? Losing out to Cincinnati feels like we are Having major problems behind the scenes. We don’t seem to be able to attract top notch talent

If I were a WR, or my son was a WR, Duke would not be on our list.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Totally agree. Bubble screens are probably not the route WR’s prefer.

we brought in a highly touted new WR coach this year and it's simply impossible to gauge his performance given how we don't throw the ball downfield.
    There was a warning sign, even on our brightest day of the season...we routed Va Tech (really solid win) but did so by throwing almost exclusively to the tight end and running backs...so I figured OK, we take what they give us.
    But Pitt and everyone thereafter figured out we CAN'T (or won't) throw the ball downfield...and our offense has been crushed ever since, except for the GT game..155-44 in our last four games, ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was afraid of some de-commits and now this. I wonder if a QB recruit might be next to de-commit. Will hold my breath. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I was afraid of some de-commits and now this. I wonder if a QB recruit might be next to de-commit. Will hold my breath. GoDuke!
    losing a good academic commit to Cincy is not inspiring...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    losing a good academic commit to Cincy is not inspiring...
    Good point. If our offense is boring to us Duke fans, imagine how it looks to a committed QB or WR recruit. I don't think our coaching staff can tell the incoming recruit, well, we're running this offense because our current QB can't read defenses well. So, we use the short passing routes to help him. I wonder what the recruits are thinking when they see this horrible play calling each game. Surely the coaching staff can see all this.

GoDuke and for heavens sake, THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Good point. If our offense is boring to us Duke fans, imagine how it looks to a committed QB or WR recruit. I don't think our coaching staff can tell the incoming recruit, well, we're running this offense because our current QB can't read defenses well. So, we use the short passing routes to help him. I wonder what the recruits are thinking when they see this horrible play calling each game. Surely the coaching staff can see all this.

GoDuke and for heavens sake, THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD!
    You demand that Duke "throw the ball down the field" even though you acknowledge that our QB "can't read defenses well." Isn't that a prescription for interceptions? Have you noticed how little protection our QB gets from his line? It's hard to read defenses or spot receivers when you're running for your life.

I'd love for Duke to complete a lot of long passes but, unfortunately, the conditions necessary for this to happen aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    You demand that Duke "throw the ball down the field" even though you acknowledge that our QB "can't read defenses well." Isn't that a prescription for interceptions? Have you noticed how little protection our QB gets from his line? It's hard to read defenses or spot receivers when you're running for your life.

I'd love for Duke to complete a lot of long passes but, unfortunately, the conditions necessary for this to happen aren't there.
    When I say throw the ball down field, I'm not talking about going for the home run play every play. I'm talking about passes in the middle of the field. Not the swing pass behind the line of scrimmage and then next play run up the middle and on 3rd down a pass to the left or right at the line of scrimmage. The passes that Harris usually completes for good gains are the ones to Gray in the middle of the field or ones 10-15 yards down the field. However, he can't rely on that play alone. It's sad and on the coaches if Harris can't read defenses after 4 years in the program. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Any other decommits? Losing out to Cincinnati feels like we are Having major problems behind the scenes. We don’t seem to be able to attract top notch talent
    Cinci's coach was hired after a losing season in 2016. His first year he went 4-8, and since then he has a 20-3 record. Winner's attract.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We currently have 12 commits for next year. We now know that a number of players will be leaving with remaining eligibility. So does anyone know how many additional recruits or transfers we can now take?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We currently have 12 commits for next year. We now know that a number of players will be leaving with remaining eligibility. So does anyone know how many additional recruits or transfers we can now take?
    My unofficial count says we are currently five below the 85 limit. I won’t swear by that five number but it is certainly in the ballpark.
    Bob Green

My unofficial count says we are currently five below the 85 limit. I won’t swear by that five number but it is certainly in the ballpark.
    Hi Bob...Is it fair to say recruiting has been off the last couple/few years? It seems from 3000 miles away that the high water mark was @2015.

If my perception is correct, is this a function of the assistant coaching staff? Or am I completely misreading the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Hi Bob...Is it fair to say recruiting has been off the last couple/few years? It seems from 3000 miles away that the high water mark was @2015.
    It is hard to say as you cannot judge a class until four or five years later. I know we have landed some nice recruits since 2015. A small sample:

2016: Dylan Singleton, Robert Kraeling, Britain Brown, Mark Gilbert, Koby Quansah, Brandon Hill
    2017: Deon Jackson, Marquis Waters, Drew Jordan, Noah Gray, Chris Rumph, Michael Carter
    2018: Tahj Rice, Gunnar Holmberg
    2019: Tony Davis
    2020: Luca Diamont, Nicky Dalmolin

The 2016 and 2017 classes were pretty loaded.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Well that stinks. Is Duke out completely or may he re-commit?

EDIT: From the Twitter:

Ethan Wright
    ‏ @EthanWright_25
    3h3 hours ago

I owe the Duke staff a huge thank you for everything, but I’ve decided to explore other options & reopen my recruitment.

My full focus now is on finishing the season strong with my Manchester teammates & I have no further comment on my college choice. Thanks for all the support

Hmm, sounds like he's moving on
    Staying closer to home at Cincy: https://247sports.com/player/ethan-wright-46048773/

Hope this isn't a result of the 2012 Belk Bowl loss ...