Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    BangBang DukeGang!!!

Three star athlete Ethan Wright from Ohio commits to Duke over Northwestern and others.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...uke-133291582/
    He will enroll in Jan. 2020.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Huzzah! Great choice!

ESPN lists Wright as a wide receiver.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...9/ethan-wright
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    ESPN lists Wright as a wide receiver.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...9/ethan-wright
    Bob, the article I linked quotes him as saying he prefers to play running back but could switch to safety.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bob, the article I linked quotes him as saying he prefers to play running back but could switch to safety.
    He certainly appears to be versatile.
    Bob Green

Is he amphibious?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is he amphibious?
    Great Charles Shackleford reference, but hopefully we won’t have to play with n anymore hurricanes to find out! LGD GTHc! Welcome to Duke!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Duke trending for top uncommitted quarterback prospect
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ces-133313655/

"Overall Spann has reported a desire to make a college commitment no later than the start of his high school season kicks off. When that time comes, he'll choose from a list of more than 20 high major offers including those from Florida State, Illinois, Louisville, Ole Miss, UCF, Boston College, Cincinnati, Georgia, Maryland, Miami, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, USF, and Virginia Tech.
    Earlier this month Spann announced a final six of Ole Miss, Florida State, central Florida, Louisville, Duke and Illinois."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

"Overall Spann has reported a desire to make a college commitment no later than the start of his high school season kicks off. When that time comes, he'll choose from a list of more than 20 high major offers including those from Florida State, Illinois, Louisville, Ole Miss, UCF, Boston College, Cincinnati, Georgia, Maryland, Miami, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, USF, and Virginia Tech.
    Earlier this month Spann announced a final six of Ole Miss, Florida State, central Florida, Louisville, Duke and Illinois."
    How is he versus the QB we have committed?

247 is known to use a lot of hyperbole...Spann is far from THE top uncommitted QB, he's a solid dual threat QB rated #25 in that category by 247, while Diamont, the other QB, is rated slightly higher (which does not mean a whole lot).
    Fair to say he is "a" top uncommitted QB...Duke is still theoretically in the running for a VERY highly rated QB, Haynes King, #3 rated dual threat QB, though the competition is the usual horde of higher profile programs.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    247 is known to use a lot of hyperbole...Spann is far from THE top uncommitted QB, he's a solid dual threat QB rated #25 in that category by 247, while Diamont, the other QB, is rated slightly higher (which does not mean a whole lot).
    Fair to say he is "a" top uncommitted QB...Duke is still theoretically in the running for a VERY highly rated QB, Haynes King, #3 rated dual threat QB, though the competition is the usual horde of higher profile programs.
    As a Texan, I've been following the Haynes King situation recently since Duke is involved. Apparently King won the "Elite 11" QB competition last weekend in Frisco, TX, beating out the 2 dual threat QB's ranked ahead of him nationally. He had ridiculous junior stats playing for his class 6A Div II state champion Longview HS team...almost 4,000 total yards, 70% completion rate, 42 TD's and just 4 INT's.

Here's a piece from yesterday's Houston Chronicle with some info on his recruitment. Folks from Aggieland think he's theirs to lose yet curiously, King's self-imposed deadline to make an announcement has come and gone. To even be in his final 4 on an elite recruit like this is nice (Cutcliffe/DJ influence?), but we need some breakthroughs. Soon.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...p-14068092.php
    Last edited by texasdevil06; 07-03-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post
    As a Texan, I've been following the Haynes King situation recently since Duke is involved. Apparently King won the "Elite 11" QB competition last weekend in Frisco, TX, beating out the 2 dual threat QB's ranked ahead of him nationally. He had ridiculous junior stats playing for his class 6A Div II state champion Longview HS team...almost 4,000 total yards, 70% completion rate, 42 TD's and just 4 INT's.

Here's a piece from yesterday's Houston Chronicle with some info on his recruitment. Folks from Aggieland think he's theirs to lose yet curiously, King's self-imposed deadline to make an announcement has come and gone. To even be in his final 4 on an elite recruit like this is nice (Cutcliffe/DJ influence?), but we need some breakthroughs. Soon.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...p-14068092.php
    Darn! A&M, Auburn, Tennessee and Duke -- but we're not the favorite.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Darn! A&M, Auburn, Tennessee and Duke -- but we're not the favorite.
    This ain't hoops. LOL.

It's an interesting situation. King has had a meteoric rise in the recruiting rankings in the last year. A self-described "country boy" and gym rat from East TX who shuns the limelight on social media, he's probably just figured out how good he is. At the Frisco event I talked about earlier, he threw with outstanding accuracy according to reports and ran a 4.52 40-yd. dash and a 4.08 shuttle -- both times the best of the 20 top national QB prospects at the event.

Having said that, my guess is that he will stay close to family and his support system and choose A&M. If it's just about football, his development and the opportunity to play very early, it might be interesting. The other 3 schools involved have multiple 4 & 5-star, non-senior QBs either on the roster or committed. After this year (if Quentin Harris has a good year and stays healthy) we will have no QBs on the roster with any significant college game experience. Absent a major surprise with King, it wouldn't surprise me if we're in the grad transfer market after this upcoming season.

King has stated he doesn't have all this figured out yet so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post
    This ain't hoops. LOL.

It's an interesting situation. King has had a meteoric rise in the recruiting rankings in the last year. A self-described "country boy" and gym rat from East TX who shuns the limelight on social media, he's probably just figured out how good he is. At the Frisco event I talked about earlier, he threw with outstanding accuracy according to reports and ran a 4.52 40-yd. dash and a 4.08 shuttle -- both times the best of the 20 top national QB prospects at the event.

Having said that, my guess is that he will stay close to family and his support system and choose A&M. If it's just about football, his development and the opportunity to play very early, it might be interesting. The other 3 schools involved have multiple 4 & 5-star, non-senior QBs either on the roster or committed. After this year (if Quentin Harris has a good year and stays healthy) we will have no QBs on the roster with any significant college game experience. Absent a major surprise with King, it wouldn't surprise me if we're in the grad transfer market after this upcoming season.

King has stated he doesn't have all this figured out yet so we'll see.
    Given that Duke has not thus far being very active in the grad-student transfer market and given that Duke thinks Holmberg is going to be real good, I would be surprised to see Duke pursue a transfer. If they didn't this past summer, they never will.

And unless Harris takes darn near every snap, either Holmberg and/or Katrenick will have some experience going into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Given that Duke has not thus far being very active in the grad-student transfer market and given that Duke thinks Holmberg is going to be real good, I would be surprised to see Duke pursue a transfer. If they didn't this past summer, they never will.

And unless Harris takes darn near every snap, either Holmberg and/or Katrenick will have some experience going into next season.
    Hope you're right, Jim. This is a transition year coming up IMO. I think we'll be in a much better position to do really good things in 2020 as long as we have a QB who can get it done.

Thanks. Always enjoy your insight.

Luca Diamont checks in at #52 on this list:

https://scorebooklive.com/california...f-2019-part-2/

Diamont threw for 2,560 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior. He also rushed for 729 yards and five more scores.
    His response on Twitter:

@lucadiamont

I will be higher on this list after this season. #VENICE
    Confidence is a great quality.
    Bob Green

BangBang

OLB Dorian Mausi to Duke! Per Twitter.
    Bob Green

Looks like Eli is starting tonight for the Giants, but I imagine Jones will get a ton of burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    OLB Dorian Mausi to Duke! Per Twitter.
    247 article on our latest commitment. https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...si--134305202/
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

247 article on our latest commitment. https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...si--134305202/
    A literal "Money Quote" from Dorian Mausi of Detroit:

"Duke is a top ten university in the country academically," Mausi told 247Sports earlier this week. "Meaning I will be set for life. The football is really making a turn for the better by knocking off a Big Ten Championship team early in the season (Northwestern). Also the bonds I have made with the staff there are unbelievable."
    Set for life? Any Duke grads here take exception? I didn't think so.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013