Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Think it’s a mistake not pursuing grad transfers. Should be looking at a few a year if they can get in. That’s the way football is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Think it’s a mistake not pursuing grad transfers. Should be looking at a few a year if they can get in. That’s the way football is moving.
    i'm afraid much of it is that we're not seen as a premium destination.
    As for Brittain Brown, I love the way he plays, but I've given up on his ever remaining healthy enough to play most of a season...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    i'm afraid much of it is that we're not seen as a premium destination.
    As for Brittain Brown, I love the way he plays, but I've given up on his ever remaining healthy enough to play most of a season...
    This is no doubt the case. That said, there certainly must be some transfer prospects who are not premium, but who can help Duke. And there must be some transfers who would like a Duke grad degree...even if they'd prefer a better FB program.

Again I go back to our past experience with Ohio State with a couple of lineman and a defensive back, and our baseball program has been bolstered by numerous grad transfers from ivy league schools. Stanford has several players going into the transfer portal. I think we should be actively pursuing a few grad transfers each year.

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced Friday that safety J'Marick Woods has signed a financial aid agreement to attend the institution and join the Blue Devil gridiron program.

Woods will enroll at Duke in January, 2020 after graduating from the University of Michigan with a degree in kinesiology. He played in 27 games over the past three seasons for the Wolverines and recorded 26 tackles and one blocked punt. Woods will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2020 campaign.

A 6-3, 210-pound native of Florence, Ala., Woods was charted as a four-star safety prospect by ESPN.com. As a senior at Florence High School, he registered 70 tackles, two tackles for loss, two interceptions, and three pass breakups.

Not the new OC I’ve been looking for but a DB with height is ok by me

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced Friday that safety J'Marick Woods has signed a financial aid agreement to attend the institution and join the Blue Devil gridiron program.

Woods will enroll at Duke in January, 2020 after graduating from the University of Michigan with a degree in kinesiology. He played in 27 games over the past three seasons for the Wolverines and recorded 26 tackles and one blocked punt. Woods will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2020 campaign.

A 6-3, 210-pound native of Florence, Ala., Woods was charted as a four-star safety prospect by ESPN.com. As a senior at Florence High School, he registered 70 tackles, two tackles for loss, two interceptions, and three pass breakups.

Wow, good to see us raid the Big 10 again.

Thanks PD! A four star safety, eligible immediately, here for spring practice, two years game experience at the highest level - me likey!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Cut said Wednesday that DB and OL were the positions that might take open scholarships.

An OL would look good. A vacancy at guard or a quality tackle that might enable Monk to move inside.

But a pleasant surprise. Two seasons is the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cut said Wednesday that DB and OL were the positions that might take open scholarships.

An OL would look good. A vacancy at guard or a quality tackle that might enable Monk to move inside.

But a pleasant surprise. Two seasons is the best part.
    Jim, any opinions on our chances to land Addison Penn?
    Bob Green

This sounds like a really good find.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow, good to see us raid the Big 10 again.
    Guess Cut is open to transfers

Woods had an offer from Duke coming out of high school:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f.../jmarick-woods

Coach Cutcliffe is open to transfers he has been previously involved with.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    None

None
    Thanks!

I was hoping you had the inside scoop.
    Bob Green

Cut seems just like the kind of guy who blows with whatever wind happens to whip past him, and he probably read our suggestion that he recruit.

This announcement does conform to the earlier mention(?from Jim, Bob) that Cut much prefers transfers he originally recruited from high school (Duke originally offered Woods back in October 2015). https://247sports.com/Player/JMarick...imelineEvents/

I am very pleased that we are finally getting a transfer. I am disappointed and perplexed with the stipulation that they had to be recruited from high school. Were all 3 of the Ohio State transfers recruited by Duke? I don't want whole sale transfers but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 each year. This defensive back sounds perfect because he will have 2 years and he is a graduate. I still think that it would be nice to get an offensive lineman.

None
    No opinions, or no chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What better tribute to Addison Penfield? For younger folks, here is a brief bio from wiki:

Add Penfield (Addison Pierce Penfield, 1918–2010), a pioneer in North Carolina sports radio, was the original radio "Voice of the Blue Devils".

A native of Meriden, Connecticut, Penfield moved to North Carolina to become a Duke University student in 1938. At the behest of famed Duke football coach Wallace Wade, the Atlantic Radio Network gave Penfield the opportunity to broadcast games while he was still a student. It was the beginning of a career in radio that spanned eight decades.

Penfield graduated from Duke University in 1940. After a two-year duty with Army radio, he served in a number of diverse radio markets before receiving the call to return to Duke in 1952.

He was the "Voice of the Duke Blue Devils" from 1952 to 1976. Bob Harris served as his color commentator and the two broadcast both Duke football and Duke basketball men's basketball games. Facing health problems, Penfield retired in 1976 and was succeeded by Harris, who became the new "Voice of the Blue Devils".

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    No opinions, or no chance?
    No inside knowledge.

No inside knowledge.
    So you’re saying there’s a chance... ?!!! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com