Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There are two stories about how Alma, Georgia got its name.

The most popular is that it was a consolidation of the first letter from the first four capitals of Georgia (Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville, Atlanta).

The other is that it was the name of a traveling salesman's wife.

Alma is in Bacon County -- not named for the tasty pork product. It is known for its blueberries, actually.
    Milledgeville?

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Better than Bahama, NC??
    I honeymooned in Bahama...not the Bahamas...had no money at the time. We stayed at some big B/B that was in or very near Bahama.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Milledgeville?
    The Pride of Baldwin County. Also where Ben Roethlisberger got in trouble with a co-ed IIRC.

The legislature had to leave Augusta due to the Yazoo Land Fraud scandal. Packed up and moved to Louisville. Not sure why they later moved again.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Milledgeville?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Pride of Baldwin County. Also where Ben Roethlisberger got in trouble with a co-ed IIRC.

The legislature had to leave Augusta due to the Yazoo Land Fraud scandal. Packed up and moved to Louisville. Not sure why they later moved again.
    Vivian Ward is from Milledgeville, Georgia. Last few seconds of this video:

(I lived in Georgia when I saw this movie. I remember a handful of audience members from Milledgeville cheered loudly from the unexpected mention.)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I honeymooned in Bahama...not the Bahamas...had no money at the time. We stayed at some big B/B that was in or very near Bahama.
    Since we're hopelessly off-track here, got to say that northern Durham County up towards Bahama and Rougemont is gorgeous country. I'll guess that many here have been up that way, but it's worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Since we're hopelessly off-track here, got to say that northern Durham County up towards Bahama and Rougemont is gorgeous country. I'll guess that many here have been up that way, but it's worth seeing.
    People who live in that part of Durham County call it “God’s country.”

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    We used to have off-campus fraternity rush parties at the Spruce Pines cabin in Bahama! A lot of good times were had there, along with a lot of liquor 🥃. We hired a bus to transport everyone so no we ne had to drive back to campus drunk.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We used to have off-campus fraternity rush parties at the Spruce Pines cabin in Bahama! A lot of good times were had there, along with a lot of liquor 🥃. We hired a bus to transport everyone so no we ne had to drive back to campus drunk.
    We just drove back drunk from Spruce Pine.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sent a chill down my spine. I have vague recollections.

Being a Durham native and Duke alum I thought I should chip in about Bahama and Rougemont. I think a person named Clay Hamner developed Treyburn a mini Research Triangle in that region. Growing up I rode a bicycle with no gears to a property the late mayor of Durham owned Jim Hawkins.His son Bill was a former CEO of Medtronic and former Duke Board of Trustees member and from my class year.That ride started near East Campus in Trinity Park. The drive in that area was superb. Beautiful Landscapes, the Eno River. I heard rumor Jay Williams 54 seconds against MD fame owns a home in that part of Durham County.

I went to Frat Parties at Spruce Pine too. I was part of legendary Beta Phi Zeta. East Campus frat. They eventually made bad decisions years later and were disbanded by the University.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Those tight curves in the road could be a challenge even to the sober drivers.

BTW Spruce Pine Lodge was the site of a Phi Delt party which involved some of the brothers using a bench to try to batter down the door to the women's rest room. My recall is that a brother name Arlis led this activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Those tight curves in the road could be a challenge even to the sober drivers.

BTW Spruce Pine Lodge was the site of a Phi Delt party which involved some of the brothers using a bench to try to batter down the door to the women's rest room. My recall is that a brother name Arlis led this activity.
    Uh, I remember him -- and his sister, whom I knew well, and brother were also at Duke.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Looking at this thread the day before national signing day it’s no wonder Duke sucks at football recruiting.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Looking at this thread the day before national signing day it’s no wonder Duke sucks at football recruiting.
    I am afraid looking at WW stadium is a better indicator.

That certainly holds us back.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I never did that, but I did get married there. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The level of interest is overwhelming. Some of it may have to do with the wall of silence around the program.

National Signing Day has arrived. I hope it is a successful day for Duke. We could use a few positive surprises.
    Bob Green

WW is both a reflection of and a cause of......