Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    I hope that we don’t settle for 2 stars just because we need bodies.
    All the players I listed above are 3 star recruits.
    Bob Green

The win over Miami had to be a big help to recruiting. Hopefully we can sign these guys. A good record next year is essential if we are going to improve recruiting. I like the guys we have coming back, but we can’t afford for recruiting to slip if we’re going to get back on track for winning seasons. At this point quarterback play is my biggest concern, but I like the fact we have a kid who looks good coming in. We also need Gunnar to make a complete recovery. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    The win over Miami had to be a big help to recruiting. Hopefully we can sign these guys. A good record next year is essential if we are going to improve recruiting. I like the guys we have coming back, but we can’t afford for recruiting to slip if we’re going to get back on track for winning seasons. At this point quarterback play is my biggest concern, but I like the fact we have a kid who looks good coming in. We also need Gunnar to make a complete recovery. Go Duke!
    Any win helps but a "big help"? I'd put it this way a loss to Miani would have had hurt more than a win helps. You're correct to zero in on the QB play. An astute recruit will recognize that most teams are QB-limited and Duke's fortunes were particularly so this year, by a QB who tied for the conference lead in interceptions and ranked near the bottom in every other statistical category. That same recruit would also recognize that but for one incredibly ill-conceived play against the all-time cheatingest football cheater cheats ever Duke would be going to a bowl.

ryan smith the lb from bama connitts

Quote Originally Posted by pigskindevil View Post
    ryan smith the lb from bama connitts
    Anyway, here's a snippet from 247:

Kennesaw (Ga.) Harrison linebacker Ryan Smith told 247Sports he committed to Duke on Sunday night.

Smith is tabbed by the Top247 as the No. 70 inside linebacker in the country. Head coach David Cutcliffe and his staff extended a scholarship on Dec. 3 and closed this recruitment quickly.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Harrison also held offers from the likes of Louisville, Tulane, Colorado State, Buffalo, UConn, Bowling Green, Akron, FAU, Kent State, Troy, Air Force and several Ivy League Programs.
    Only one P5 offer, but hey! If Cutcliffe likes him, I'm good with that!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyway, here's a snippet from 247:

Only one P5 offer, but hey! If Cutcliffe likes him, I'm good with that!
    Yup. Daniel Jones was headed to Princeton. . . .

Is he a late bloomer? Duke and Louisville as the only P5 offers is a bit weird (if Duke was to offer you’d expect Vandy and Northwestern to offer, especially as he has some Ivy offers) and Louisville is legit enough to typically not be the only P5 offer someone has.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe and staff are working hard as Signing Day approaches. Here are some prospects they are pursuing:

WR Jontavius Robertson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...vis-robertson/

ATH Da’Quan Johnson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...aquan-johnson/

LB Ryan Smith

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...ma-ryan-smith/
    Any news on any of these other guys? Did Robertson visit Duke or Georgia?

Looks like Da’Quan Johnson decommitted from Troy. Uninspiring offer sheet but we were an uninspiring program this year. Any idea on what the coaching staff sees in him and where they may use him?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Looks like Da’Quan Johnson decommitted from Troy. Uninspiring offer sheet but we were an uninspiring program this year. Any idea on what the coaching staff sees in him and where they may use him?
    Article from Sports Illustrated -- "fair use" only:

A 5-foot-11.5, 175 pounder from Flomaton, Alabama, Johnson had been committed to Troy since August 2.

Three days after Duke extended its offer, Johnson traveled to Durham for an official visit. A week later, he announced that he was decommitting from the Trojans.

“After talking with my family. I would like to announce my de-commitment from the Troy University. I sincerely thank all of the coaches at Troy for recruiting me, especially Coach Hall. This is my decision!” he posted on Twitter. He’s referring to Troy defensive coordinator Brandon Hall.
    In case you were wondering, Flomaton, AL is right on the Florida border, 45.8 miles up US-29 from Pensacola. I suppose the name is an amalgam of Florida, Alabama and town. I might have chosen, "Flobama" as a name, but then I wasn't going to live there.

BTW, my prediction, should he come to Duke, is that the guy can fly -- Cut likes speed.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I suppose the name is an amalgam of Florida, Alabama and town. I might have chosen, "Flobama" as a name, but then I wasn't going to live there.
    How do you feel about Delmarva?

Tweet from our QB of the future.

Adam Rowe liked

Luca Diamont

@lucadiamont
    ·
    8h

What a weekend! This place is special. I am very grateful to be apart of it and be surrounded by people like this. Looking forward to new experiences and growing not only as a football player but as a human. Go Duke.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I love Georgia recruits. Welcome to DukeGang Ryan Smith.

From the 247 article on Ryan:

"Smith was the Region 6-AAAAAA Defensive Player Of The Year and helped his team roll to a 15-0 record and state championship. He racked up 89 tackles including 10 for loss, eight quarterback hurries, two sacks, an interception and two forced fumbles."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Doesn't really roll off the tongue the way "Arklatex" does...

Recruiting Weekend Sightings

Mrs. Banana, our son and I decided to visit Duke this past Thursday-Saturday and stay at the Washington Duke Inn. Once we arrived, I saw on the Inn's schedule that the Duke football program would be holding a recruiting event there over the weekend. The recruits and their parents gathered in the Inn's lobby Friday afternoon along with various coaches. I think I recognized Ben Albert and Jeff Faris. Saturday morning, QB Luca Diamont (our highest rated recruit according to 247 Sports) got off the elevator as I was getting on. Still in the elevator were OT Calib Perez and the mom of OG Graham Barton (our second highest rated recruit according to 247 Sports). Barton's mom said the Barton family was "thrilled to be here". I am relieved that our top two recruits, who happen to play two of the positions where we have our greatest need, have decided to stick with the program, notwithstanding our generally poor play during the second half of the season.

Better than Bahama, NC??

Lots of good wildlife refuges and beaches
    Sage Grouse

There are two stories about how Alma, Georgia got its name.

The most popular is that it was a consolidation of the first letter from the first four capitals of Georgia (Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville, Atlanta).

The other is that it was the name of a traveling salesman's wife.

Alma is in Bacon County -- not named for the tasty pork product. It is known for its blueberries, actually.

From GoDuke -

Football 12/16/2019 11:20:00 AM
    Signing Day Blitz Set for Wednesday

Story Links
    DURHAM, N.C. - In conjunction with National Signing Day on Wednesday, Duke football will host its annual Signing Day Blitz which will air on ACC Network Extra from 10-11:15 am.
    Ryan Craig and Dave Harding will anchor the programing with head coach David Cutcliffe joining in for the show's final segment.
    #GoDuke
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    From GoDuke -

Football 12/16/2019 11:20:00 AM
    Signing Day Blitz Set for Wednesday

Story Links
    DURHAM, N.C. - In conjunction with National Signing Day on Wednesday, Duke football will host its annual Signing Day Blitz which will air on ACC Network Extra from 10-11:15 am.
    Ryan Craig and Dave Harding will anchor the programing with head coach David Cutcliffe joining in for the show's final segment.
    #GoDuke
    Duke currently ranked 66th on fball recruiting per 247 sports. If we account for small class and just look at rating average for each recruit, we move up to 49.

Biggest concern, our 66 ranking is only ahead of VaT (?) among ACC teams. And in the Coastal, GaT is having a great year. Coaching em up will be more important than ever.