Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Wake friend says Yes due to 18 million owed when I just asked that.
    Hang on... one second... Wake owes Danny Manning $18 mil on his contract? Are you serious?!?! Did they sign him to a 9 year contract or something? He arrived at Wake in 2014 and has won 20 games exactly 0 times. Did they give him some kind of monster extension after he managed to go 9-9 and finish 10th in the league in 2015?!?! Whaaaat?!?!

(Jason checks Google)

Turns out Wake signed Danny to a 6 year extension early in the 2017-18 season. I find this utterly unfathomable. There was nothing he had done until then to show he was a good recruiter or a guy who could coach up a team to be competitive in the league. And yet, he is under contract through 2025. I get that he is a nice guy who brings in players who don't get in trouble but the standard for being a successful ACC coach should rise at least a little bit above "don't do anything that really embarrasses us."

-Jason "Wake, you made your bed, now you get to lay in it (and lay at the bottom of the league)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hang on... one second... Wake owes Danny Manning $18 mil on his contract? Are you serious?!?! Did they sign him to a 9 year contract or something? He arrived at Wake in 2014 and has won 20 games exactly 0 times. Did they give him some kind of monster extension after he managed to go 9-9 and finish 10th in the league in 2015?!?! Whaaaat?!?!

(Jason checks Google)

Turns out Wake signed Danny to a 6 year extension early in the 2017-18 season. I find this utterly unfathomable. There was nothing he had done until then to show he was a good recruiter or a guy who could coach up a team to be competitive in the league. And yet, he is under contract through 2025. I get that he is a nice guy who brings in players who don't get in trouble but the standard for being a successful ACC coach should rise at least a little bit above "don't do anything that really embarrasses us."

-Jason "Wake, you made your bed, now you get to lay in it (and lay at the bottom of the league)" Evans
    Nice Googling, Jason. Wake is even worse off than Georgia Techwas with Paul Hewitt.

Well, they have done it again. Despite averaging 27.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks, 3.0 steals, and 79.3% shooting from the field, Zion Williamson was not named ACC Player of the Week yet again. In fact, he has only won the award once this season. He did win the Naismith National Player of the Week, but the ACC Media thought that Nickeil Alexander-Walker's 25 point performance against Miami and 11 points against NC State was worthy of the Player of the Week honors. Alexander-Walker has won the award twice this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Well, they have done it again. Despite averaging 27.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks, 3.0 steals, and 79.3% shooting from the field, Zion Williamson was not named ACC Player of the Week yet again. In fact, he has only won the award once this season. He did win the Naismith National Player of the Week, but the ACC Media thought that Nickeil Alexander-Walker's 25 point performance against Miami and 11 points against NC State was worthy of the Player of the Week honors. Alexander-Walker has won the award twice this season.
    Haha incredible that someone who played in that disaster of a game Saturday won the award. And with those Zion stats? Amazing. The only thing I can think of is that VA tech played 2 ACC games to Duke's 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    It’s not a guarantee. Miami in 2015 was 21-12 / 10-8 and was an NIT 2-seed. Also NIT bound were Clemson 2014 (20-12 / 10-8), Virginia 2013 (21-11 / 11-7), Virginia Tech 2011 (21-11 / 9-7), and Boston College 2011 (21-12 / 9-7), to name a few recent ones.
    Different years...different sized conference. In 2014 and 2015, the ACC only got six bids. In 2013 only 4. Seems to me that the expectation is maybe 9 this year. Not saying that 10-8 gets you in every year, just confident it will this year.

(Jason checks Google)

Yes. If memory serves, they extended his contract after making the NCAA tournament in 2017. Of course, they actually made one of the play in games (which I believe they lost) which was largely due to John Collins’ excellent sophomore season. (To be fair, Danny does deserve some credit for John Collins’ development).

This is why many Wake fans blame AD Ron Wellman for mishandling the basketball situation, going back to the days of Dino.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Haha incredible that someone who played in that disaster of a game Saturday won the award. And with those Zion stats? Amazing. The only thing I can think of is that VA tech played 2 ACC games to Duke's 1.
    Maybe they've been reading/taking clues from some of our MOTM votes this season .

<exit, stage right>
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe they've been reading/taking clues from some of our MOTM votes this season .

<exit, stage right>
    I went back through the Player/Rookie of the Week rankings, and this is the 5th time this season the Rookie of the Week has averaged more points per game than the Player of the Week. On two occasions, the Player and Rookie of the Week were the same person, Week 1 with Zion and Week 5 with R.J. Zion has outscored the Player of the Week twice now, once during Week 11 (Tyus Battle) and again this week.

I went back through the Player/Rookie of the Week rankings, and this is the 5th time this season the Rookie of the Week has averaged more points per game than the Player of the Week. On two occasions, the Player and Rookie of the Week were the same person, Week 1 with Zion and Week 5 with R.J. Zion has outscored the Player of the Week twice now, once during Week 11 (Tyus Battle) and again this week.
    But...all Zion can do is dunk?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Thanks for researching (and your many, many recruiting updates, too)!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

(Jason checks Google)

I did trust my friend without googling..Knowing with the astute posters on this board that I would quickly be called out if my information was wrong.

But this link was on the DBR Home Page this morning. Riley Johnson..

Jeff Goodman wrote a couple of months ago that Manning’s contract with Wake Forest was $18M guaranteed, and while this seems outside of the realm of possibilities in my mind, I have no reason to doubt him given his insider track record. If this is the case, and even if it’s $10M instead of $18M, there is no reason to keep Manning a day longer than necessary since he is going to get his money anyway.

From Goodman:

Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman signed Danny Manning to a six-year extension that runs through 2024-25 nearly a year ago to the day. A source told me that the deal is fully guaranteed, meaning that Wake is on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $18 million if it makes a move to let go of Manning. The first couple of years, and a 24-39 mark, were on the previous regime. But after a 19-14 record and an NCAA tourney bid in 2016-17, Wake went 11-20 last season and has started out 4-2 this year with a loss this past weekend to Houston Baptist.

But what Manning did to merit that kind of extension escapes me as well.

With the Pac-12 crapping the bed this year it should be easier for the middle of the road ACC teams like a 10-8 or 9-9 team to get a bid.