Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Coach Danowski called it ""In some ways the game was a microcosm of our season. Our kids at certain times they just get tight," Danowski said. "They don't enjoy or they don't play with a freedom or – you know, they just get tight, whether it's they just want to win so badly that they get tight, or they want somebody else to make a play, whatever it is."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Hoos’ GK Alex Rode has to be the MOP. Followed up a 19-save performance against Duke with 13 against Yale.

Cavs’ defense, overall, was brilliant today.

Deserving champs, and they don’t lose too many key guys to graduation.
    Agree about Rode completely. He looked good against us on Saturday, but our shots didn't always test him as much as they could have. He looked amazing today. And Virginia are deserving champs. They made the plays they really needed to and had a hot goalie, which is a good formula. But...

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Damn now really feel bad about Saturday’s loss. We could have beaten Yale today if we didn’t pass away the game against UVA.
    This, sadly, is true. Watching in Philadephia, especially after seeing the first half of the Yale-Penn State game, we thought, "oh well, Duke and UVA were playing for second place anyway." But watching in person today, it looked much more like the first semifinal was, in fact, the championship game. Against Penn State, Yale's passing was crisp, their shots were pinpoint precise, and they made up for their smaller size with greater speed and quickness. Against UVA, though, they weren't faster and quicker, just (mostly) smaller, and they couldn't get the shots they did on Saturday. Given that the UVA FOGO won hardly any faceoffs, the biggest advantage Yale would have against Duke could probably be neutralized by forcing turnovers and bad shots, as UVA did. I think Duke would have won this game unless they beat themselves (which of course we know is quite possible).

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Coach Danowski called it ""In some ways the game was a microcosm of our season. Our kids at certain times they just get tight," Danowski said. "They don't enjoy or they don't play with a freedom or – you know, they just get tight, whether it's they just want to win so badly that they get tight, or they want somebody else to make a play, whatever it is."
    This is the saving grace for me--I can't speak to whether it is tightness or something else as Coach Danowski can, but all year this team, for all its obvious talent, hasn't looked like a team that could reliably put it together for four quarters several games in a row and win the whole thing. So while I hoped for Duke to win, I went in with a healthy skepticism, thus am less disappointed than I would have been. I still haven't gotten over 2007 or 2008, for example.

I saw this while looking for something else on GoDuke - two weeks after a bad leg injury in the quarterfinal win over ND, Wilson Stephenson was released from the hospital.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I saw this while looking for something else on GoDuke - two weeks after a bad leg injury in the quarterfinal win over ND, Wilson Stephenson was released from the hospital.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Thanks for posting this. Sounds very positive. Stephenson says he is "excited to get back to campus and start playing again." Given a very serious injury and multiple surgeries, that may be a long road. Hope he can get all the way back.

Glad he's doing well...the loss of that game still hurts...two goal lead with the ball, 1:25 on the clock, 80 second shot clock...required an instant turnover to lose, and that's what happened. Ack.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Glad he's doing well...the loss of that game still hurts...two goal lead with the ball, 1:25 on the clock, 80 second shot clock...required an instant turnover to lose, and that's what happened. Ack.
    Yup. A very bad case of coulda, shoulda, woulda.