Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A Big Relief

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC

    A Big Relief

    The three year old boy missing in Craven County was found alive and well last night, although tangled in briers and calling for his Mom. Alone in the woods for two days, woods that are home to some of the biggest black bears on the planet, not to mention numerous coyotes. Just a miracle, and such a happy ending..
    Thank God..

  2. #2
    This was an incredible story. We live in Beaufort, and a lot of people from Beaufort / Morehead went to help the search. It did not look good...this was indeed a THANK GOD ending to a heart wrenching story. I was so stoked this morning when my wife told me he was safe.

    That boy is the same age as my son was when we thought we had lost him in a lake....for about 5-7 seconds, til he emerged from the little head compartment on our boat. That 5-7 seconds was so scary I still get chills thinking about it. A 3 year old boy...I just can't imagine. So so happy they had a great ending...
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It did indeed have a happy ending, but there has to be more to this story. The days he was gone were cold and/or wet. I was bundled up and didn't want to be outside for even 2 minutes when it was windy and 19 the first night he was missing. It barely got above freezing the next day. The last night and day, it was deluge downpours. He disappeared wearing "light clothing".
    Also, the number of volunteers was amazing, lots of my friends were among them. There was no ground uncovered, yet he was found very close to home. It just doesn't add up.
    I guess it's possible he survived in a field on his own for these past days, but I am sure that the powers that be are still asking questions.
    Still, very happy that he is safe and getting attention and going home tomorrow instead of facing the ending that many of were sure we'd be facing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It did indeed have a happy ending, but there has to be more to this story. The days he was gone were cold and/or wet. I was bundled up and didn't want to be outside for even 2 minutes when it was windy and 19 the first night he was missing. It barely got above freezing the next day. The last night and day, it was deluge downpours. He disappeared wearing "light clothing".
    Also, the number of volunteers was amazing, lots of my friends were among them. There was no ground uncovered, yet he was found very close to home. It just doesn't add up.
    I guess it's possible he survived in a field on his own for these past days, but I am sure that the powers that be are still asking questions.
    Still, very happy that he is safe and getting attention and going home tomorrow instead of facing the ending that many of were sure we'd be facing.
    Not to contest your bigger point, because there may indeed be much more to the story...but I think you're off by one night on the really cold night.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not to contest your bigger point, because there may indeed be much more to the story...but I think you're off by one night on the really cold night.
    You are right, the low of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning wasn't 19, it was 28. That is still bitter cold in any clothing; whoooo I remember being out there that night and feeling that wind.
    Either way, poor kid. Can't imagine what his family has been through.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Linda Fraker was walking her dog down Aurora Road heard a child crying and alerted a member of the search team.... The woman said she ran up to Toler Road and asked an officer to come down and listen.

    "Next thing I know he was coming back and telling me that yes, he heard something too," Fraker said. "The next thing I know everybody was running up there and I heard he was found”

    "It's scary," Sheriff Hughes told us this morning. "Listen, I'm a grown man and I would not want to go through what that child went through. If you put yourself out there and close your eyes, the sounds, the fact that the weather was terribly cold, and you're lost and have no idea what's going on."
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Ca...504839522.html

    (PS, aside from his strong description, I have a few issues with Hughes, he berated the great grandmother that was with the children when Casey went missing in the press...wrong time to do that.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...225090590.html

    The 3-year-old boy who spent two days lost in the woods of eastern North Carolina tells his family he “hung out with a bear” for companionship while hundreds of people searched frantically in cold and rainy weather to find him.

    His aunt, Breanna Hathaway, shared that revelation on Facebook Friday morning, adding that Casey “is healthy, smiling, and talking” after being found late Thursday night. The post has gotten more than 500 comments and 2,100 shares through the day.

    “He said he hung out with a bear for two days,” she posted. “God sent him a friend to keep him safe. God is (a) good God. Miracles do happen.”
    "He hung out with a bear..." What the what?!?!?!

    I think someone recently saw Jon Favreau's Jungle Book and is a bit confused about reality.

    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...225090590.html



    "He hung out with a bear..." What the what?!?!?!

    I think someone recently saw Jon Favreau's Jungle Book and is a bit confused about reality.

    Actually Jason, my wife just showed me a story online where bears have been reported to to this with young kids numerous times. I certainly don't know the real story, but there are a lot of eerily similar bear and child stories out there...this goes back a long time. The age generally seems to be about 3 years old for the would be victims.

    Animals at times show odd understandings of this human situation...coming to the rescue at times and at others, seeking human help. When there was a deep freeze last winter on the coast of NC, a pelican came waddling up to a hotel lobby in Atlantic Beach, clearly wanting help with its frozen feet. Weird sometimes.

    And then there was the hawk, or osprey, that sought refuge in the front seat of a cab in one of the hurricanes last season....

    And hey, my thoughts initially were identical to yours...but....who knows? It seems more likely that this happened as it does that this many similar stories would all be made up.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 01-26-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Actually Jason, my wife just showed me a story online where bears have been reported to to this with young kids numerous times. I certainly don't know the real story, but there are a lot of eerily similar bear and child stories out there...this goes back a long time. The age generally seems to be about 3 years old for the would be victims.

    Animals at times show odd understandings of this human situation...coming to the rescue at times and at others, seeking human help. When there was a deep freeze last winter on the coast of NC, a pelican came waddling up to a hotel lobby in Atlantic Beach, clearly wanting help with its frozen feet. Weird sometimes.

    And then there was the hawk, or osprey, that sought refuge in the front seat of a cab in one of the hurricanes last season...

    And hey, my thoughts initially were identical to yours...but...who knows? It seems more likely that this happened as it does that this many similar stories would all be made up.
    I'm all for the kid presenting whatever narrative makes him comfortable - as long as it doesn't cover up for anyone else's criminal activity. It seems Wildly unlikely to me that the child wandered into the woods and wandered back out two days later.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bigfoot...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm all for the kid presenting whatever narrative makes him comfortable - as long as it doesn't cover up for anyone else's criminal activity. It seems Wildly unlikely to me that the child wandered into the woods and wandered back out two days later.
    It seems a lot wilder that a 3 year old would concoct and stick to a cover story to allow crime to go undetected. There is nothing normal about this case....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Bear story seems strange. However, what is more strange to me is that he was found so close to the house. There was a massive manhunt to find this child, hundreds of volunteers, dogs, drones, you name it. The most wiley criminals in the world would have trouble escaping that hunt. And you're telling me a lady walking her dog hears him a 1/4 of a mile from his house?

    Not impossible I suppose, but very unlikely.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Bear story seems strange. However, what is more strange to me is that he was found so close to the house. There was a massive manhunt to find this child, hundreds of volunteers, dogs, drones, you name it. The most wiley criminals in the world would have trouble escaping that hunt. And you're telling me a lady walking her dog hears him a 1/4 of a mile from his house?

    Not impossible I suppose, but very unlikely.
    I don't see ANY likely outcome...and yet, some very weird scenario did in fact happen. Nothing sounds plausible to me...but something clearly did occur.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    It is weird, but until something does come out, let's be glad he's alive.

Similar Threads

  1. The Office: "Stress Relief"
    By arob in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •