Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dining and Drinking in Durham

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with restaurant and bar recommendations in Durham. I'm a Duke T'96 grad and I'm taking my brother to the Maryland game, which will be his first game at Cameron (and possibly the Terps last). We'll be flying in that Friday night and staying until Sun AM. I haven't been down to campus in about 5 years, and I'm not too familiar with the current dining and drinking scene. I've heard that downtown Durham has undergone somewhat of a minor renaissance in recent years. Are there any quality gastropubs/microbreweries worth checking out? We are definitely interested in tipping a few pints. Also, what are some of the best BBQ spots in town? I realize that this question is likely to stir up a debate. Thanks for your input.
    Matt Cohen
    Last edited by Coballs; 01-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with restaurant and bar recommendations in Durham. I'm a Duke T'96 grad and I'm taking my brother to the Maryland game, which will be his first game at Cameron (and possibly the Terps last). We'll be flying in that Friday night and staying until Sun AM. I haven't been down to campus in about 5 years, and I'm not too familiar with the current dining and drinking scene. I've heard that downtown Durham has undergone somewhat of a minor renaissance in recent years. Are there any quality gastropubs/microbreweries worth checking out? We are definitely interested in tipping a few pints. Also, what are some of the best BBQ spots in town? I realize that this question is likely to stir up a debate. Thanks for your input.
    I highly suggest Tobacco Road in Downtown Durham near the DPAC and Durham Bulls stadium. Great food, great atmosphere, a gazillion flat screen HD TVs, and 10 minutes tops from Cameron Indoor. You will not be disappointed.

Oh there are tons of places for good food and drinks.

Revolution
    Pop's
    Tobacco Road
    Dos Perros
    Piedmont

Just depends on what you want in a restaurant/bar...

And don't forget Tyler's Tap Room, a favorite of mine and devildeac's (one of our resident beer mavens).
    http://www.tylerstaproom.com/locations/durham/
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And don't forget Tyler's Tap Room, a favorite of mine and devildeac's (one of our resident beer mavens).
    http://www.tylerstaproom.com/locations/durham/
    Actually Tyler's was closed when I was home for Christmas. They are renovating. Could be open now but I would call.

And also - if you like pizza and beer you can always hit Satisfactions.

Alivia's is also a nice bar very close to campus.

I'm also a fan of Tobacco Road.

You should also check out Dame's Chicken and Waffles. Tell them Supa Dave sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Actually Tyler's was closed when I was home for Christmas. They are renovating. Could be open now but I would call.

And also - if you like pizza and beer you can always hit Satisfactions.

Alivia's is also a nice bar very close to campus.

I'm also a fan of Tobacco Road.

You should also check out Dame's Chicken and Waffles. Tell them Supa Dave sent you.
    I forgot about Dame's! Fantastic place. For pizza, there is also Lilly's and Mellow Mushroom.

Tyler's is open again.

If you're looking for a quality gastropub, check out G2B. Holy smokes, easily the best burger I've ever had in my life...and I've had my fair share. It's on the nicer/more expensive side, but it's definitely worth it. Trust me. Geer Street is also a good place for a pint.

Random fun fact no one cares about: My husband and I are in the picture of the Crazies heckling Raymond Felton on the outside of Tobacco Road. If it's the Carolina game I'm thinking about (2005), it was easily the best game I've ever been to in Cameron.
    T '05, SOM '10

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Tyler's is open again.

If you're looking for a quality gastropub, check out G2B. Holy smokes, easily the best burger I've ever had in my life...and I've had my fair share. It's on the nicer/more expensive side, but it's definitely worth it. Trust me. Geer Street is also a good place for a pint.

Random fun fact no one cares about: My husband and I are in the picture of the Crazies heckling Raymond Felton on the outside of Tobacco Road. If it's the Carolina game I'm thinking about (2005), it was easily the best game I've ever been to in Cameron.
    Co-sign on G2B and would add Bull City Burger.

Also, City Beverage near Southpoint has some good eats.

The Federal or Full Steam Brewery.

Wow, thanks for all of the great recommendations. I don't remember any of these places except for Satisfactions. When I was in school, the drinking options were Sati's, TJ Hoops, the Down Under Pub, El Rodeo, the Hideaway, the Central Campus Pub, and a few places on 9th St...and the off campus dining options were even fewer.
    It looks like Tobacco Road, Tyler's, and G2B will all be visited, followed by a visit to the cardiologist. Are any of these spots noteworthy for quality Carolina BBQ?

Wow, thanks for all of the great recommendations. I don't remember any of these places except for Satisfactions. When I was in school, the drinking options were Sati's, TJ Hoops, the Down Under Pub, El Rodeo, the Hideaway, the Central Campus Pub, and a few places on 9th St...and the off campus dining options were even fewer.
    It looks like Tobacco Road, Tyler's, and G2B will all be visited, followed by a visit to the cardiologist. Are any of these spots noteworthy for quality Carolina BBQ?
    Not near campus but check out Backyard BBQ for all of your Q needs.

Original q shack near south square is some good BBQ.

Matt Cohen
    G2B is a favorite of mine (fancy, and pricy...but well worth it IMO...and they certainly have enough to drink)

tobacco road was mentioned, if your a beer fan, Tyler's Taproom on the American Tobacco campus has 88 taps at any time, and the food is alright

the Federal on main street has a smaller selection, but it's always a good selection, and the food is delicious

Fullsteam Brewery has a taproom, they have all their own beers, which i love...and also carry a couple taps of other local micros, they don't have food, but local foodtrucks come outside just about every night of the week (and if they weren't there in 96, these aren't your standard hot dog cart...this is some incredible food out of a truck...almost all delicious)

the green room on 9th street is a bit dingy, but if you can get past that, they have a great bottle selection (no food though)...it's mostly a pool hall, not a bad place to chill after dinner and drink, as it doesn't seem as crowded with duke students (nothing against duke students...of course...)

my favorite BBQ is Smokeys Shack down in RTP, but I don't think its largely as popular, and has more limited hours sometimes...and it's far away...but it's amazing IMO
    April 1

Add my vote for all things Tobacco Road and Fullsteam. Definitely check out Dame's (I'd say my name might get you in the door, but Supa's will probably get you a table )...to do that correctly, put your name and phone number on the list (probably 45 minutes at that point) and grab a drink at Bull McCabe's. They will call you when your table is ready, allowing you to enjoy a drink while you wait. Also, Bull City Burger is a nice burger joint downtown.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

The owner of fullsteam went to Duke and spearheaded the push to have alcohol content cap lifted to like 15% in NC.

You can waste your time reading all the posts on this thread, or you can simply go to The Federal (914 W. Main, across from Brightleaf).

Bull City Burger is awesome, and brews their own beer unlike G2B. Their beer is REALLY good too, they have a Congac barrel aged barleywine right now that is simply awesome.

You won't be disappointed with any place mentioned in this thread.

But for the best BBQ around, you want to go to Allen & Son in *whispers* Chapel Hill

For my sake, have the omelette special at Foster's before you leave. They're so flippin' good.

Or one of the brownie/cookies from Giugul...giugulupf. Or something.

Good writeup from the NY Times today on just this topic: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...=tw-share&_r=0