Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Westerns

My five this week

The Seven Samarai Japan is west of here right? The final battle in a downpour...unbelieveable. Thankfully was able to see it on a biug screen.
    The Searchers "That'll be the day" Dave Kehr, contoversial movie critic, regarded The Searchers as the "definitive American movie"
    Little Big Man Jack Crabbe was there
    Rio Bravo Dean Martin, John Wayne et al, another John Ford special
    McCabe and Mrs Miller Julie Christie...sigh...need I say more?

Little Big Man..Good call..

Can we put "A New Hope" on the list?

At LEAST "Serenity" should be eligible.

"Space Cowboys" would be pushing it ...

Big Jake..El Dorado

Does Rango count? I love that one.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Came here for this. I have a real soft spot for that film (in fact, I watched it for the first time in a number of years just a few weeks ago). I don't think certain thematic elements have aged especially well (the "white man savior" part bugs me), but I think the cinematography is beautiful, and I really love the inclusion of so many Native actors. Lastly, it was filmed on location in the southwestern South Dakota, which is one of my favorite spots in all the world.
    It also has a beautiful score by John Barry.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Do yourself a favor and put Once Upon a Time in the West at the top of this list. It is an outstanding film, not just a great Western.
    I've wanted to see it for decades, but it doesn't seem to get shown as often as some of the others in this thread. Interestingly, "Once Upon a Time in America" (definitely NOT a western) is also on my list of classics that I still need to see.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

At LEAST "Serenity" should be eligible.

"Space Cowboys" would be pushing it ...
    You forgot, "Cowboys vs Aliens", with Daniel Craig.

This post is to show how to see these movies - especially the great ones from the fifties and sixties. Subscribe to STARZ. They have the rights to all of Encore's portfolio. On Fios/Encore they have 2 channels one in HD dedicated to Westerns. It shows tv series (no Gunsmoke) including Maverick during the day and movies at night. If you stream Starz it doesn't forget much and all are available. Turner Classic Movies (TCM) also has a lot.
    Otherwise, you need to buy the dvd/blurays. Since these movies are old you can get great deals if you shop around. After watching the extended version (4 hours) of Dancing With Wolves I bought the bluray for $10. A bluray 3 pack of The Searchers How the West Was Won and The Wild Bunch was only $10 on Amazon a few years ago. The first two are two of the best ever recorded movies. The Western genre is nothing to snicker at for old tv watchers like me. For the most part growing up these were some of the best shows. But over the years good Westerns are just scattered about except those mentioned. (HBO Deadwood was a great series Netflix Godless a good short series.)

Hombre is a pretty good one too...
    ..Paul Newman, Richard Boone, Frederick March, Martin Balsam and two actresses names escape me right now

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Star Trek might work better than Star Wars. Roddenberry described it as a western in space. Roddenberry wrote numerous western TV scripts, especially for Have Gun Will Travel.
    Last edited by dball; 01-23-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clarification

1.) Blazing Saddles
    2.) Nacho Libre
    3.) The Cherokee Kid
    4.) Duck, You Sucker
    5.) Shanghai Noon

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Star Trek might work better than Star Wars. Roddenberry described it as a western in space. Roddenberry wrote numerous western TV scripts, especially for Have Gun Will Travel.
    For film, I think Star Wars is a solid western set in space. Western serials were an influence on how Lucas crafted the story.
    Per Star Trek, the shootout at the OK Corral episode is one of my favs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stagecoach
    My Darling Clementine
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Stagecoach
    My Darling Clementine
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Good list. Stagecoach forgot about that one. Great film from an entirely forgettable year in film, 1939. Who can recall these flops

Dark Victory
    Gone with the Wind (Best Picture winner)
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    Love Affair
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    Ninotchka
    Of Mice and Men
    Stagecoach
    The Wizard of Oz
    Wuthering Heights

Holy jeebus.

I have not yet begun to defile myself.

" I will not be pawed at, thank you very much".

"You there, music love-ah."

I asked this once upthread, but got no response. I'm genuinely interested in knowing if y'all think Rango qualifies as a western.
    It's animated, yes, but the title character fits a lot of Western tropes: mysterious outsider, called to rise to the occasion and find courage he didn't know he possessed, in response to the nefarious actions of an oppressive villain.
    It also has really vividly textured visuals throughout the film. Good for animation fans, and for anyone looking for an offbeat riff on westerns. 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I asked this once upthread, but got no response. I'm genuinely interested in knowing if y'all think Rango qualifies as a western.
    It's animated, yes, but the title character fits a lot of Western tropes: mysterious outsider, called to rise to the occasion and find courage he didn't know he possessed, in response to the nefarious actions of an oppressive villain.
    It also has really vividly textured visuals throughout the film. Good for animation fans, and for anyone looking for an offbeat riff on westerns. 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    I'd say it does. I liked Rango, but have only watched it once. It isn't one of those movies I jump to and say "Ooooh, Rango is on, Imma watch!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."