Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    About 7-8 years ago some students started to storm after a UNC game but K waved them off. So I think the Dockery buzzer beater might be the last time it happened.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    About 7-8 years ago some students started to storm after a UNC game but K waved them off. So I think the Dockery buzzer beater might be the last time it happened.
    That was embarrassing to me...a team Duke shoulda killed....lucky to barely beat...at home...I didn't like that storming at all.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    About 7-8 years ago some students started to storm after a UNC game but K waved them off. So I think the Dockery buzzer beater might be the last time it happened.
    maybe 2011 or 2015. both big comebacks

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    ESPN's quant-focused college basketball scribe, John Gasaway, has a cool little piece talking about how, within the ACC, Duke and Louisville are kind of identical

    https://johngasaway.com/2019/02/05/t...ision-edition/

    Great closing section:

    "The Cards actually make threes, with Jordan Nwora, Ryan McMahon, and Dwayne Sutton all shooting 37 percent or better on their threes in ACC play. Conversely if Duke ever does that, it will make Coach K’s team effectively unstoppable. If at some point this season you see multiple Blue Devils consistently hitting shots from beyond the arc, think of it as the college hoops equivalent to the moment in Jurassic Park when the velociraptors learned how to open doors."

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ESPN's quant-focused college basketball scribe, John Gasaway, has a cool little piece talking about how, within the ACC, Duke and Louisville are kind of identical

    https://johngasaway.com/2019/02/05/t...ision-edition/

    Great closing section:

    "The Cards actually make threes, with Jordan Nwora, Ryan McMahon, and Dwayne Sutton all shooting 37 percent or better on their threes in ACC play. Conversely if Duke ever does that, it will make Coach K’s team effectively unstoppable. If at some point this season you see multiple Blue Devils consistently hitting shots from beyond the arc, think of it as the college hoops equivalent to the moment in Jurassic Park when the velociraptors learned how to open doors."
    I have one question and one other comment about this article:

    Question: Are this efficiency margins calculated based on adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency? I suspect that they are not, but don't know for sure. And Louisville has had an easier schedule than us so far in ACC play (with Pitt twice, BC, and Miami of note).
    Comment: Those data fail to account for the fact that we played several games without Tre Jones, one game without Reddish, and half a game without Zion. And we had a slow start in the first game Jones came back.

    Torvik has us as a full 3 points better in adjusted efficiency margin (0.5 better offensively and 2.5 better defensively) in his ratings over the last 10 games. And again, that's without key players for a good chunk of the schedule.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Question: Are this efficiency margins calculated based on adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency? I suspect that they are not, but don't know for sure. And Louisville has had an easier schedule than us so far in ACC play (with Pitt twice, BC, and Miami of note).
    Those numbers are definitely unadjusted. I'm a little surprised that Gasaway doesn't even mention that.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Those numbers are definitely unadjusted. I'm a little surprised that Gasaway doesn't even mention that.
    That's what I figured.

    And I realize that Gasaway was meaning that as a compliment to Duke: saying how impressive Duke is in virtually every other aspect of the game in order to be as efficient than a team that has been a top-10 efficiency team nationally in conference play despite us not being able to shoot at all. But it's actually underselling it, as we've been even BETTER than Louisville over that stretch of time.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That's what I figured.

    And I realize that Gasaway was meaning that as a compliment to Duke: saying how impressive Duke is in virtually every other aspect of the game in order to be as efficient than a team that has been a top-10 efficiency team nationally in conference play despite us not being able to shoot at all. But it's actually underselling it, as we've been even BETTER than Louisville over that stretch of time.
    Yeah, but the velociraptor line was pretty great.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Those numbers are definitely unadjusted. I'm a little surprised that Gasaway doesn't even mention that.
    yeah... kind of invalidates the analysis

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York, NY

    Gauntlet approaching

    The six game stretch that starts with Saturday's match-up with UVa will determine whether we have a shot to win the ACC regular season this year, and also go a long way towards determining whether we wind up with a #1 seed in the NCAAT. As ESPN points out in this article, it's the toughest six game stretch that any team will face this year, based on quality of opponent and location.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...6-game-stretch

    I'd say par for the course would be a 4-2 record... 3-3 would feel like a disappointment and 5-1 would be fantastic. Anything outside of those 3 outcomes looks very unlikely.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    The six game stretch that starts with Saturday's match-up with UVa will determine whether we have a shot to win the ACC regular season this year, and also go a long way towards determining whether we wind up with a #1 seed in the NCAAT. As ESPN points out in this article, it's the toughest six game stretch that any team will face this year, based on quality of opponent and location.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...6-game-stretch

    I'd say par for the course would be a 4-2 record... 3-3 would feel like a disappointment and 5-1 would be fantastic. Anything outside of those 3 outcomes looks very unlikely.
    C'mon, Flash! I'm going for the 6-0 outcome!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    C'mon, Flash! I'm going for the 6-0 outcome!
    Me too! I think we're all hoping for that outcome! But there's roughly a 1 in 10 chance of that happening so I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll be more than happy with 5-1, which would mean we'd most likely be going into the last game of the regular season at 15-2 in conference and 27-3 overall. That would be a great position to be in too!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    C'mon, Flash! I'm going for the 6-0 outcome!
    I'll allow it!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    With syracuse's loss to FSU tonight, they no longer control their own destiny.

    11-7 is now the minimum record someone will have to win the title

    (Note: i realize my previous analysis was using a 16 game schedule not 18...oops, so GT is really still alive.)
    Zion Williamson broke my brain.

    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    After today's slate of games, the biggest change is that uva no longer controls their own destiny, having no games remaining against duke (funny how that happened ) leaving just Duke and UNC controlling their own destiny. Assuming a win in all the other games (chortle) duke will win the regular season with a split vs UNC. If UNC also beats uva and wins out, I don't know the tiebreaker off the top of my head for the 1 seed, but we'd be co-champs. Given that duke unc and uva will have a really good chance of being 1-2-3, avoiding the others until the title game could be huge.

    The minimum record to win the ACC is still 11-7. For that number to rise to 12, the group of syracuse, louisville, virginia, UNC and duke must collectively win 5 more games against teams not in that set (though could happen sooner if, say, duke and UNC pick up 3 collective wins against anyone). This could happen by a week from today.
    Zion Williamson broke my brain.

    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va
    I came to the thread to ask the tiebreaker question you referenced here. If both UNC and us win out - other than splitting head to head - who gets the #1? Assuming UVA at 3, 1 vs 2 is a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    After today's slate of games, the biggest change is that uva no longer controls their own destiny, having no games remaining against duke (funny how that happened ) leaving just Duke and UNC controlling their own destiny. Assuming a win in all the other games (chortle) duke will win the regular season with a split vs UNC. If UNC also beats uva and wins out, I don't know the tiebreaker off the top of my head for the 1 seed, but we'd be co-champs. Given that duke unc and uva will have a really good chance of being 1-2-3, avoiding the others until the title game could be huge.

    The minimum record to win the ACC is still 11-7. For that number to rise to 12, the group of syracuse, louisville, virginia, UNC and duke must collectively win 5 more games against teams not in that set (though could happen sooner if, say, duke and UNC pick up 3 collective wins against anyone). This could happen by a week from today.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I came to the thread to ask the tiebreaker question you referenced here. If both UNC and us win out - other than splitting head to head - who gets the #1? Assuming UVA at 3, 1 vs 2 is a big difference.
    Then it would depend on whether Louisville beats out Syracuse in the rankings. If Louisville is on top, we get the #1. If Syracuse edges the Cards, UNC is #1.

    In other words, tiebreaker comes down to record against the next best team. In that scenario, we would “tie” in the UVa comp. So it would go on down until we got to Louisville or Syracuse.

    So, yeah, wouldn’t hurt to see UVa beat UNC.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Then it would depend on whether Louisville beats out Syracuse in the rankings. If Louisville is on top, we get the #1. If Syracuse edges the Cards, UNC is #1.

    In other words, tiebreaker comes down to record against the next best team. In that scenario, we would “tie” in the UVa comp. So it would go on down until we got to Louisville or Syracuse.

    So, yeah, wouldn’t hurt to see UVa beat UNC.
    Would 2-0 against UVa not trump a theoretical 1-0 by the Cheats?
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Would 2-0 against UVa not trump a theoretical 1-0 by the Cheats?
    "best record" usually means %...so no.
    Zion Williamson broke my brain.

    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Would 2-0 against UVa not trump a theoretical 1-0 by the Cheats?
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    "best record" usually means %...so no.
    Correct. The ACC sees no difference between 1-0 and 2-0 in terms of seeding. Nor do they see a difference between 0-1 and 0-2.

Similar Threads

  1. GT to play a regular-season game in China next season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 01:03 PM
  2. MLB: 2016 Regular Season
    By Bob Green in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 647
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 01:24 PM
  3. Clinching the acc regular season
    By Surfsideron in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
  4. The regular season finale
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •