Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Correct. The ACC sees no difference between 1-0 and 2-0 in terms of seeding. Nor do they see a difference between 0-1 and 0-2.
    So, the ACC is not really giving much credit for SOS within the conference. Ah yes, the curse of the SWOFF and scheduling.

Consider this: on the UVA UNC turn around, the Heels will be at home with a 54 hour turn around (roughly) while the Cavaliers will have 48 hour turnaround PLUS TRAVEL. That's almost half a day of awake time in a two day universe. Then you add travel to that... The Cheats are coming off a game against a kind of weak team (though UM was very good Sat) while the Hoos are coming off of their most emotional home game of the year.

TIME: Advantage the cheats
    TRAVEL: Advantage the cheats
    EMOTIONAL: all advantages point to the cheats.
    CONF SCHEDULE? Advantage the cheats.

This is just part of why they're the Cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    So, the ACC is not really giving much credit for SOS within the conference. Ah yes, the curse of the SWOFF and scheduling.

Consider this: on the UVA UNC turn around, the Heels will be at home with a 54 hour turn around (roughly) while the Cavaliers will have 48 hour turnaround PLUS TRAVEL. The Cheats are coming off a game against a kind of weak team (though UM was very good Sat) while the Hoos are coming off of their most emotional home game of the year.

yeah the saturday-monday tunrarounds are stupid. it's not a conspiracy, though. sometimes it works out in your favor, sometimes it doesn't. uva drew the short end of the stick on that one.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah the saturday-monday tunrarounds are stupid. it's not a conspiracy, though. sometimes it works out in your favor, sometimes it doesn't. uva drew the short end of the stick on that one.
    Yeah, I agree. Further, I can’t imagine why the conference (which is just the schools themselves) would be complicit in any conspiracy to favor any school. Swofford wouldn’t have lasted this long as commish if the ACC thought that scheduling was some sort of conspiracy to provide systematic benefit to UNC.

Consider this: on the UVA UNC turn around, the Heels will be at home with a 54 hour turn around (roughly) while the Cavaliers will have 48 hour turnaround PLUS TRAVEL. That's almost half a day of awake time in a two day universe. Then you add travel to that... The Cheats are coming off a game against a kind of weak team (though UM was very good Sat) while the Hoos are coming off of their most emotional home game of the year.

STUDYING: Throw in the fact that the unc players will not attend any classes on Monday, nor do any homework (tutors might do some for them), and the UVA players will probably hit the books on the road and in their hotel rooms. Advantage cheats

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    STUDYING: Throw in the fact that the unc players will not attend any classes on Monday, nor do any homework (tutors might do some for them)
    you act like monday is special or something...
    1200. DDMF.

I suspect you are at least partly tongue in cheek, but I disagree about the emotional component. I think UVA is acutely aware of what back to back losses would do for their ACC seeding and NCAA profile. I expect them to throw the kitchen sink at UNC, and I see them as the superior team. I figure UVA wins by 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suspect you are at least partly tongue in cheek, but I disagree about the emotional component. I think UVA is acutely aware of what back to back losses would do for their ACC seeding and NCAA profile. I expect them to throw the kitchen sink at UNC, and I see them as the superior team. I figure UVA wins by 8.
    Yes indeed, partially tongue in cheek...but only partially....

As for the emotional, UVA can be acutely aware all they want to, but the turn around physically and emotionally is simply a lot more difficult for them to overcome than Carolina looking past an opponent and escaping...and sleeping at home while UVA travels. Coach K often talks about human nature and having to overcome it. Can it be done? Absolutely. But does human nature sometimes win out? Absolutely also.

I think the Cheats win this game...for the reasons I mentioned ...much as I hope for the other result.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that this turnaround advantage involves these three teams, and plays right into the hands of the Heels, simply by coincidence. I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories at all, but I've noticed this kind of thing happening to the Heels' advantage an awful lot for many years. I've seen it work in Duke's favor, but not nearly as often as it helps the Cheats.

And this was not just UVa drawing the short end...this is Duke having a competitive disadvantage versus the Heels (per the ACC reg season) simply due to scheduling quirks. Screwy scheduling and screwy seeding always impacts more than just the two teams in question. This is not just Duke having two games versus UVA versus one for Carolina, it's having Carolina having that single game at home with UVa on a short turn around from emotional game.

...and sleeping at home while UVA travels.
    UVa isn't changing time zones or flying to a different continent. It is a 3 hour and 15 minute bus ride from Charlottesville to Chapel Hill.

While I dislike the Saturday - Monday turnaround, travel is not an issue in this instance.
    Bob Green

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that this turnaround advantage involves these three teams, and plays right into the hands of the Heels, simply by coincidence. I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories at all, but I've noticed this kind of thing happening to the Heels' advantage an awful lot for many years. I've seen it work in Duke's favor, but not nearly as often as it helps the Cheats.

And this was not just UVa drawing the short end...this is Duke having a competitive disadvantage versus the Heels (per the ACC reg season) simply due to scheduling quirks. Screwy scheduling and screwy seeding always impacts more than just the two teams in question. This is not just Duke having two games versus UVA versus one for Carolina, it's having Carolina having that single game at home with UVa on a short turn around from emotional game.
    This is a classic bias. You think it happens more often because you're more likely to remember when the cheats benefit than duke. If you'd like to go year by year and provide the data, I'd be happy to reconsider.

That said, in SOME cases, there may be an argument...it's more likely to happen to duke than UVA, for example, since duke will almost always have a more difficult schedule overall, having to play UNC twice a year. The same cannot be said for duke over UNC, though, as UNC plays duke twice a year.
    1200. DDMF.

The unbalanced ACC schedule is obnoxious, but hinting at the scheduling being part of some ulterior pro-UNC bias seems.... silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    UVa isn't changing time zones or flying to a different continent. It is a 3 hour and 15 minute bus ride from Charlottesville to Chapel Hill.

While I dislike the Saturday - Monday turnaround, travel is not an issue in this instance.
    I would beg to differ, even if just a little. Sunday is rest day for the Heels. Sunday is travel day for the Hoos. There is no rest day for the Hoos. A 3 hour bus ride is not particularly restful. It's not like flying halfway across the country, but when your only rest day is a travel day, on a bus...I think it becomes a factor that works with the other factors I mentioned.

I wish all Cheats games were at noon on Saturdays because they are pretty bad in those games. Hope they get that draw in the NCAA tournament assuming a win in their first round game (obviously a first round loss would be awesome).

We have 3 of them coming up in the next few weeks. Each of the Monday games is on the road. That's pretty brutal.

Duke, @ UNC

ND, @ VT

Pitt, @ Cuse

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    We have 3 of them coming up in the next few weeks. Each of the Monday games is on the road. That's pretty brutal.

Duke, @ UNC

ND, @ VT

Pitt, @ Cuse
    That is ridiculous.

2:45, tops. Unless you get caught in traffic...

Done it dozens of times!

-jk

Excepting maybe for a dude with a sore back having to sit up in a charter bus seat for 3+ hours. Coming off of 37 minutes chasing around Barrett, having a sore/stiff back, then sitting on a bus for hours, then having to chase around White/Williams/Johnson? Not feeling great about Jerome's prospects for a big game.

I forget which conference does the mid season reschedule.
    If we are going to continue to play an imbalanced schedule, count me in favour of going through a round 1, and then scheduling the second half of the season according to first half results.

The ACC rule was supposed to be Sat early at home, Mon night. That rule has been disregarded twice this year. Duke had to fly back from FSU before Syracuse, and UVA had a Sat. night home game. This is actually better than what the ACC used to do with Thur 9PM/Sat noon games or Th/Sat/Tu weeks.

Bart Torvik still puts UVA at a 62% chance of winning. I think that's low, but it's obviously not a 80-90% game.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post

Duke, @ UNC

ND, @ VT

Pitt, @ Cuse
    I recall an article stating that Sat-Mon turnarounds should not involve teams that have to play both games at home or both games on the road. If each team has one game home and one game away that should at least balance the scales a bit. That being said I think playing the second leg on the road if more difficult than playing the first leg on the road. Much harder to have your normal day after recovery/game planning while traveling. That schedule is rough for the Hoos.

Also, did that home/road split actually play out? Of the 16 instances of teams playing in Big Monday this season, 14 have home/away. 2 teams have home/home: 1) ND had UVA@home before playing Duke@home and 2)UNC played Miami@home yesterday before playing UVA@home tomorrow.

I admit that rigging the schedule is impossible with 15 teams and 18 games. The logistics to make it all work out preclude any weird stuff. However in terms of Big Monday that's a one-off (or 3) against UVA and a one-off for UNC
    Last edited by tbyers11; 02-10-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook