Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's there on ESPN.com now. The only logical explanation is the UNC-Louisville game was played later.

I think the emotion of the Duke-UVA game and UNC's lack of preparation time for UVA cancel each other out at worst. We will see.
    I am again (11:!0 EST) looking at "ESPN, NCAAM, Standings, ACC" (newly reloaded) and it STILLS shows Duke in 3rd place, below UNC. And I still do not perceive any logical reason for putting Duke 3rd.

Duke could easily be a top team in the nation and finish 3rd in ACC standings. We are to go ...At UVA. At Louis. Vs State and v Unc At Syracuse. At VT. At UNC. We could easily finish 14-4 in acc.

UVA and UNC could both top us in standings. Uva especially but UNC scares me lately.

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    I agreed earlier with the OPs who pointed out that Virginia was listed first because its overall record (only one loss) was better than Duke's (two losses)

But now I have no logical explanation for why ESPN has bumped UNC ahead of Duke based on the games this afternoon. Duke seems to me to be tied or ahead of UNC based on all relevant criteria (and even alphabetically). Anyone???
    Not so fast there:

A
    B
    Cheat
    Duke

See?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    And if we somehow win next Saturday, and they storm the court, I'll be embarrassed. No top 5 team should ever storm the court, unless the opponent is undefeated in mid-late Feb, or MAYBE if there's some kind of insane miracle comeback, like a 20 point second half deficit where you win at the buzzer on a half court shot.
    Great point. Storming the court is so overdone.

The benchmark should be Notre Dame fans storming the court after breaking UCLA's 88 game winning streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4MBIQoCO-U

If your team's win doesn't top that -- keep your butt in the stands.
    Bob Green

in the past we've seen some teams storm the court when they were favored. Very high on the lameness scale.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    in the past we've seen some teams storm the court when they were favored. Very high on the lameness scale.
    Just so we are clear, it is always, always, always ok to storm the court when we beat Carolina. I will go to my grave thinking thus.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just so we are clear, it is always, always, always ok to storm the court when we beat Carolina. I will go to my grave thinking thus.
    Now that's interesting....that's the last team I'd want to storm the court for...I think Duke should act almost nonchalant when we beat the Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Now that's interesting...that's the last team I'd want to storm the court for...I think Duke should act almost nonchalant when we beat the Cheat
    Have to agree. Duke doesn’t storm the court, least of all against the cheaters down the road. Oh, and BEAT THE CHEAT is a great idea for a sign on game day!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Yeah - like in my previous post, Duke is DEFINITELY the biggest deal for 90% (ok, maybe 99%) of the fanbase. But I do think Bennett does a good job of getting the team to keep things in perspective (big game, sure. but don't make it your super bowl).
    I think you're right to separate the fans from the team, and I agree that the UVa fans (including me) would prefer a win against Duke and a loss against UNC to a loss against Duke and a win against UNC. Most of that, IMO, is because Duke has consistently been a better team than UNC, on balance, for at least 10 years, so much so that a win against Duke at home looks bigger than a win against UNC on the road. The rest of it is about home court. UVa has lost very infrequently at the JPJ over the past 5 years, so you want to protect the home court advantage and then try to pick up as many wins on the road as you can get.

On the other hand, I don't think Bennett cares: he just wants to see max effort and self-discipline to deliver on fundamentals (defensive rebounding, TOs, get back on D, protect the paint, close out the shooters) every night; if your team does that, it will win its fair share of games.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, it depends. Which court?

In Durham, it would have to be some extenuating circumstances (unlikely comeback, huge upset, some triumph over tragedy narrative) to merit a celebration like that.

In Chapel Hill, the bar is lower. A sly comeback, maybe a significant upset, or anything better. Even then, I think that storming the court is fun in the short term but invites revenge in the long term.

At the ACC Tournament, only if Duke needed the automatic bid.

At the Final Four, only on Monday night, and then under all circumstances.

When is the last time Duke students stormed the court?

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    dockery '05 over VT

not including "stormings" for national championships.
    1200. DDMF.

I think we did my freshman year in 1988 when beating UNC. We were ranked 9 and them 6. We had just lost 3 games in a row, but we did beat them 3 times that year. We beat them 96-81, but it was fairly close until the end.

It may not have been a full court rushing, but there were people on the court before the players were off.

I don't remember seeing any others and feel somewhat foolish for that event.

with no more games against UNC, and a game back in the loss column, UL no longer controls their destiny.

Syracuse, however, still does.

With 4 games left between the top 3 teams, at least two guaranteed to get to 9 wins, which means that the canes and the deacs are officially eliminated from contention.

I believe that 10-6 is actually the minimum best record now. Logic:

If duke and UNC split, and UVA beats unc and loses to duke, then duke and UVA have 9 wins, and UNC has 8.

Syracuse has a game left against all three, and so naturally would lose to UNC and beat uva and duke. Now we have 4 teams at 9 wins.

UL has 2 games against virginia and a game against duke left...so they either win all 3 and end up with 10 wins, or one of duke or UVA does.

So this eliminates ND and Pitt from contention for the league title, and means that GT and BC can only tie

(Note: it may be true that someone is guaranteed to get to 11-5, but I don't feel like evaluating the network flow...or writing code for it right now)

So to summarize:

In control:
    uva
    unc
    Duke
    Syracuse

Eliminated from everything:
    ND
    Pitt
    Miami
    Wake

Eliminated from winning the league outright:
    GT
    BC
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby91 View Post
    but we did beat them 3 times that year.
    One of my favorite years because of that.

I think we did my freshman year in 1988 when beating UNC. We were ranked 9 and them 6. We had just lost 3 games in a row, but we did beat them 3 times that year. We beat them 96-81, but it was fairly close until the end.

It may not have been a full court rushing, but there were people on the court before the players were off.
    In 1988 Duke had zero National Titles and Carolina had 2. The Cheats had been the over all dominant program in the league for 15 years, give or take, (although they shared that dominance at times with Virginia, State, Maryland and sometimes Duke). They were still rebuilding a bit from the hard graduation hit in 86. No one had any idea at the time that this team was Final Four bound, and headed to five straight FF's and six of the next 7. As you mentioned, they had just lost three in a row. I don't remember that storming, but I don't find it objectionable.

And I didn't like the post Dockery storming at all. I almost felt guilty for winning that one. And today? Duke shouldn't storm the court, even if they beat the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And today? Duke shouldn't storm the court, even if they beat the Warriors.
    c'mon....our ragtag group of bandits with a little yellow rope is obviously going to prevent it anyway
    1200. DDMF.

This is a helpful little site to check periodically in case you havent seen it before:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/accbask...standings.html

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I was part of storming the court after the Freddy Lind game, so it has happened.

I don't remember seeing any others and feel somewhat foolish for that event.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    One of my favorite years because of that.
    My senior year, and probably the only time I was part of a court storming.

ES, DS, ES!!!!