View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match tonight in their win over Virginia tonight?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marques Bolden

1 0.79%
  • Zion Williamson

28 22.22%
  • RJ Barrett

94 74.60%
  • Cam Reddish

1 0.79%
  • Jack White

1 0.79%
  • Javin Delaurier

0 0%
  • Alex O'Connell

1 0.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I respect every poster, but not every post. IMO - Bolden got abused on D tonight. I haven't looked up stats, but our (UVA) efficiency on driving buckets in iso- plays vs Bolden must have been off the charts.

Still, he played the roll of "sacrificial lamb" and it kept us from getting into any kind of rhythm from 3 so that when Duke went zone late, we missed a couple of EASY looks from deep (by great shooters, too). So Bolden's "sacrifice" actually did play a big role in the win.

I just wouldn't say "he held his own". ;-)
    Can't blame Bolden in the least on this, seriously. K made it clear that the strategy was to switch on every screen...this left Bolden guarding a lot of quicker players. Overall the strategy worked, despite the fact
    that Bolden couldn't guard some people.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Can't blame Bolden in the least on this, seriously. K made it clear that the strategy was to switch on every screen...this left Bolden guarding a lot of quicker players. Overall the strategy worked, despite the fact
    that Bolden couldn't guard some people.
    I agree with this. Bolden got abused some but he a) didn't foul much (unlike, ahem, poor Javin) and b) didn't give up any threes that I can think of. I wonder if K gave him the game ball...seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I agree with this. Bolden got abused some but he a) didn't foul much (unlike, ahem, poor Javin) and b) didn't give up any threes that I can think of. I wonder if K gave him the game ball...seriously.
    I agree with your agreement. The K contingent settled on a strategy of switching everything to minimize 3 point shots. It put Bolden in a bad position individually, but overall it worked as a team strategy. Kudos to K, the coaches, Bolden and the rest of the team.

RJ gets my vote, but Zion showed even more of his game with the ballhandling tonight. A freight train jet with a crossover? Please.

Marvelous team effort, especially to the Iron Five, though I admit I threw in a vote for Jack for being the only guy among 9,314 to be unaware of the shot clock. That couldn't have been easy.
    Hopefully he and Javin regroup for Pitt.

Coach K was definitely the chess master yesterday and Bolden was the pawn. I'm pretty sure Coach K is quite pleased with how the sacrifice of his pawn turned out.

Really

Marvelous team effort, especially to the Iron Five, though I admit I threw in a vote for Jack for being the only guy among 9,314 to be unaware of the shot clock. That couldn't have been easy.
    Hopefully he and Javin regroup for Pitt.
    I thought Alex was the only guy... so, I think, did Coach K since he pulled Alex within seconds of that mistake and put Jack back in.
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Coach K was definitely the chess master yesterday and Bolden was the pawn. I'm pretty sure Coach K is quite pleased with how the sacrifice of his pawn turned out.
    Has Bolden ever played 33 minutes in a Duke game before? Not that I can think of, though my memory only goes back a few weeks.

Don't think so

Has Bolden ever played 33 minutes in a Duke game before? Not that I can think of, though my memory only goes back a few weeks.
    I can't remember that he's ever played anything close to it. Last year, his high was 25, against Georgia Tech: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...rgia-tech.html

I voted for RJ because he was so clutch in the critical closing moments of the game, in contrast to Zion's could-have-been-costly missed free throws. But the case for Zion is strong: not only was his scoring emphatic, but his amazing ball handling and well-rounded stat sheet (9 rebounds, 3 offensive; 2 steals; an assist and a block) were extraordinary. This is such a special team.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

I could see why folks might vote for Zion. But to me Barrett was clearly MOTM. Ran the offense, kept TOs down, hit the key shots down the stretch and led the team in scoring.

Loved the Maple Mamba sign. It pretty much describes Barrett.

9F

We already have 4 outliers so why no vote for Javin?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Can I change my vote?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We already have 4 outliers so why no vote for Javin?

In hind sight, I wish I had voted for Javin. Instead I got swept up in the way RJ got the offense going, attacked the basket, and hit needed freethrows in the end. Somebody should acknowledge the 5 trillion Javin put on the stat sheet-- in seven minutes of action!
    Last edited by timmy c; 01-20-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    In hind sight, I wish I had voted for Javin. Instead I got swept up in the way RJ got the offense going, attacked the basket, and hit needed freethrows in the end. Somebody should acknowledge the 5 trillion Javin put on the stat sheet-- in seven minutes of action!
    Javin had an un-credited rebound that I pointed out in the post game thread. (Cam got credit for the rebound)

Do boxscores get audited and corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I thought Alex was the only guy... so, I think, did Coach K since he pulled Alex within seconds of that mistake and put Jack back in.
    absolutely, I meant to write Alex...he definitely spaced out on the play (just as I spaced out on my comment)...not sure how he could be so unaware of the shot clock...