View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match tonight in their win over Virginia tonight?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marques Bolden

1 0.79%
  • Zion Williamson

28 22.22%
  • RJ Barrett

94 74.60%
  • Cam Reddish

1 0.79%
  • Jack White

1 0.79%
  • Javin Delaurier

0 0%
  • Alex O'Connell

1 0.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM: Duke v Virginia (Jan 19, 2019)

Who was Duke's Man of the Match tonight in their win over Virginia tonight?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

RJ's best game in a Duke uniform. I love Zion, but RJ was the key to this game, especially down the stretch.

I'm a well-known Zionist, but too many bricks from the line today--and RJ was fabulous.

Both RJ and Zion were great tonight. I voted for RJ since he had the added responsibility of running the offense.

Went with Zion for his defensive contributions and typical Zion-esque efficiency from everywhere other than the foul line, but RJ was equally impressive, and did a fantastic job closing the game. Can't go wrong with either guy.

Remember, Tre was out and RJ had to do a lot more ball-handling.

RJ ended up with only 1 turnover, 3 assists, 5 rebounds to go along with his 30 points and clutch FTs down the stretch.

This decision should've been easy.

RJ over Zion by a free throw or two, or three.

Voted RJ. Zion was awesome but his four straight free throw misses at crunch time for me gave the edge to RJ.

Oh..Told ya were gonna beat them!

RJ is a baaaaaad man. A naughty, so good, so silky smooth baaaaaad man.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I love when the choice could go either way, but went with Barrett over a tad too often turnover prone Zion.

(Speaking of...only 8 per team, that's crazy with two impressive defenses.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I went with Barrett in his best game in a Duke uniform. He came up big when we needed it tonight.

I came very close to voting for Bolden because of the huge rebound and FT that helped secure the win. But I am not the one Bolden vote.

I went with RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I came very close to voting for Bolden because of the huge rebound and FT that helped secure the win. But I am not the one Bolden vote.

I went with RJ.
    I chose Bolden because I thought he stepped up huuuge tonight. We switched all 5 spots and he held his own
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I pretty much never vote in these, but since it was a UVA game, I decided to partake. I see Barrett's line, I saw the clutch FTs, I saw the multiple tough finishes. He was amazing. That said, I can't NOT vote for Williamson. He's the ONLY player on Duke's roster I just felt like would score EVERY SINGLE TIME he put his head down and drove to the rim. We excel... EXCEL at denying penetration. Zion not only got to the rim at will, he drew a TON of fouls and almost always finished through contact. Just so in awe of his ability to do pretty much whatever he wants in the half-court off the bounce. RJ was CLOSE to that level but not quite there. For some, they'll nudge RJ over the top based on volume and FT shooting. I have no issue with that. For me though, if you're talking about the one dude that over the course of the whole game I just felt like we had NO CHANCE of stopping... it's Williamson.

RJ - better closer.
    Zion - better player.

Just my opinion, and if you feel differently, I wouldn't call you wrong. 2 future all-stars there most likely. (And I can't believe I'm saying that given the way the NBA is all about the 3ball now. I just think those 2 are THAT special going to the rim.)

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I chose Bolden because I thought he stepped up huuuge tonight. We switched all 5 spots and he held his own
    I respect every poster, but not every post. IMO - Bolden got abused on D tonight. I haven't looked up stats, but our (UVA) efficiency on driving buckets in iso- plays vs Bolden must have been off the charts.

Still, he played the roll of "sacrificial lamb" and it kept us from getting into any kind of rhythm from 3 so that when Duke went zone late, we missed a couple of EASY looks from deep (by great shooters, too). So Bolden's "sacrifice" actually did play a big role in the win.

I just wouldn't say "he held his own". ;-)

I had to pick only one, and the two possibilities seem obvious, and I did vote for RJ. But we are giving short shrift to Bolden, who played well, even though some UVa players drove on him. "Croc" White set the tone with his two-handed stuff back.
    I think this game sort of sets the tone for the rest of the season. I expect the balance of the year through the tournaments will be very exciting. To quote an early vaudevillean "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I respect every poster, but not every post. IMO - Bolden got abused on D tonight. I haven't looked up stats, but our (UVA) efficiency on driving buckets in iso- plays vs Bolden must have been off the charts.

Still, he played the roll of "sacrificial lamb" and it kept us from getting into any kind of rhythm from 3 so that when Duke went zone late, we missed a couple of EASY looks from deep (by great shooters, too). So Bolden's "sacrifice" actually did play a big role in the win.

Agree. He was invisible on offense, and was getting blown by a bunch.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post

In the last minute of the game, Bolden had one of the best D plays and it was very subtle. He simply stood his ground, literally. I don't think he even lifted a foot. But he was exactly where he needed to be, and with just his arms raised, made the shooter miss a layup, no foul, Duke rebound. That was a great stop, and he keyed it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Great win, tremendous games by RJ and Zion, clutch end game by Marques! RJ gets my vote tonight for his scoring, ball handling and leadership!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I was hoping there would be an option for Zion Barrett or RJ Williamson but no such luck. I went with RJ on a coin flip.