What is the status of Joey Baker?

Has he officially redshirted? Is there a chance he could be activated for the upcoming stretch of games? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by geeveebee View Post
    Has he officially redshirted? Is there a chance he could be activated for the upcoming stretch of games? Just curious.
    afaik there is no "officially redshirted." you either play in the season or you don't. He hasn't played so he can still maintain the year of eligibility.

That said, I don't see any reason or indication he will play.
    April 1

There's no need for Duke to "officially announce" a red-shirt. If he doesn't set foot on the court this season in an official game (not counting exhibitions), he will have automatically red-shirted and have four years of eligibility left. It's obvious that this is the plan. I would imagine it would take quite the injury crisis to decide to stray from this plan. With the current injury situation, the only way it would make sense to play Joey would be if Tre is out for the rest of the season AND the staff thinks that Joey is good enough to contribute significantly more as the 8th man than Jordan or the 9th man Justin, assuming the bench rotation currently consists of Marques, AOC, Jordan, and Justin in emergencies.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    There's no need for Duke to "officially announce" a red-shirt. If he doesn't set foot on the court this season in an official game (not counting exhibitions), he will have automatically red-shirted and have four years of eligibility left. It's obvious that this is the plan. I would imagine it would take quite the injury crisis to decide to stray from this plan. With the current injury situation, the only way it would make sense to play Joey would be if Tre is out for the rest of the season AND the staff thinks that Joey is good enough to contribute significantly more as the 8th man than Jordan or the 9th man Justin, assuming the bench rotation currently consists of Marques, AOC, Jordan, and Justin in emergencies.
    Is the hoops rule still zip zero nada? I mean, football is now up to a third of the season before you lose the year of eligibility. You would think hoops would have a similar rule of some time...5 game... 8 games...what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Is the hoops rule still zip zero nada? I mean, football is now up to a third of the season before you lose the year of eligibility. You would think hoops would have a similar rule of some time...5 game... 8 games...what have you.
    If you get injured in hoops, you can apply for a redshirt if you have played in 20% of games or less. So, in a typical 30 game season, if you get hurt after playing in 6 games or less, you can get a redshirt. But, unlike football, if you are merely asking for a redshirt for non-medical reasons, you cannot play even 1 second of a game.

-Jason "and that is why Buckmire and Besser get time when Baker does not" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you get injured in hoops, you can apply for a redshirt if you have played in 20% of games or less. So, in a typical 30 game season, if you get hurt after playing in 6 games or less, you can get a redshirt. But, unlike football, if you are merely asking for a redshirt for non-medical reasons, you cannot play even 1 second of a game.

-Jason "and that is why Buckmire and Besser get time when Baker does not" Evans
    Thanks...and I'll predict that this rule is loosened up in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Thanks...and I'll predict that this rule is loosened up in the near future...
    On what basis do you predict this change?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    As a few others have mentioned, you don't have to "officially" redshirt a player at any point in time. This is something I learned first hand doing some reporting back for The Chronicle on Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee when they redshirted. You end up "applying" for a redshirt after the season ends, and it is approved or not based upon how much a player has played and whether there is any injuries involved. So theoretically Coach K could put Joey Baker in at any point in time. It doesn't look like it's going to happen though.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    On what basis do you predict this change?
    The new football rule...up to four full games, no questions asked....still keep 4 years of eligibility. I can't imagine they'd loosen up football but keep hoops so tight...especially given that the NCAA wants to move away from OAD teams. This would get another lever for teams to develop talent, and help teams like Duke as they transition from OAD status.

The kid can really stroke the three. And, after that "brickfest " the other day..hmmm

I知 glad you brought him up. Not because I want to see him play this year, that痴 clearly not the plan. Rather I知 really interested in this approach for stockpiling talent in a new way. Bring in a very good talent a year early, hit the weight room, adjust to college, learn K痴 D. Still have four years left if need be. That could include a secondary degree from a good school if he stays. If not, he will look better to scouts with less tape of him adjusting but rather more fully integrated.

We値l only know in a year or two if this is a great approach but in hindsight this might have even helped a skinny kid like AOC. We値l see, maybe K is getting another step ahead of everyone or maybe this is a unique one off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    I知 glad you brought him up. Not because I want to see him play this year, that痴 clearly not the plan. Rather I知 really interested in this approach for stockpiling talent in a new way. Bring in a very good talent a year early, hit the weight room, adjust to college, learn K痴 D. Still have four years left if need be. That could include a secondary degree from a good school if he stays. If not, he will look better to scouts with less tape of him adjusting but rather more fully integrated.

We値l only know in a year or two if this is a great approach but in hindsight this might have even helped a skinny kid like AOC. We値l see, maybe K is getting another step ahead of everyone or maybe this is a unique one off.
    Pretty sure this is already a common strategy for many teams who bring in mid-tier talent. Doesn't UVA redshirt 2-3 freshmen every year?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Pretty sure this is already a common strategy for many teams who bring in mid-tier talent. Doesn't UVA redshirt 2-3 freshmen every year?
    Yes. But Baker was a top-20 recruit in his original class. Players at that level rarely are healthy redshirts.

What is the status of Joey Baker?

Activated.

joeybaker.jpg

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Activated.

joeybaker.jpg

/thread
    Well Done..

Single

I doubt he qualifies to file as head of household or married.

(Poll: what do you think uh_no was doing this weekend)
    April 1