Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bill Ellis Barbecue Closes

https://www.wral.com/landmark-wilson...oors/18130163/

"Bill Ellis, the longtime owner of Bill’s, died in February 2017 after suffering complications related to a broken hip, according to family members. He was 83.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ellis' sister-in-law, Tanya Neville, wrote, “It is with much regret that we have reached a decision to close Bill’s Barbecue. Against all obstacles, we fought the good fight, but realized it’s time.”

(Dabs tears from eyes and BBQ-flavored drool from lower lip .)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Isn't Bill Ellis Mark Trail's editor?

This is a personal bummer for me. As a destitute graduate student in at ECU, just down the road in Greenville, I enjoyed many an all-you-can-eat meal at Bill Ellis, where we'd often save up our money and calories all weekend just to go there and pig out.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is a personal bummer for me. As a destitute graduate student in at ECU, just down the road in Greenville, I enjoyed many an all-you-can-eat meal at Bill Ellis, where we'd often save up our money and calories all weekend just to go there and pig out.
    RIP.

Well chosen words. And, his restaurant was in Wilson, too, even more brilliant .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well chosen words. And, his restaurant was in Wilson, too, even more brilliant .
    Eastern style?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Eastern style?
    Yes. Their buffet included a mountain of pulled pork plus an entire pig every day, along with like a dozen southern veggies, fried chicken, and a daily special meat (my fave was fried chicken livers on Thursdays).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yes. Their buffet included a mountain of pulled pork plus an entire pig every day, along with like a dozen southern veggies, fried chicken, and a daily special meat (my fave was fried chicken livers on Thursdays).
    Sounds awesome..I love chicken livers too, with hot sauce..lol

When Bill Ellis passed away and left his restaurant to his wife instead of his hard working son. That son decided to open his own place instead of working for his stepmother. He named his place Marty’s after his brother and eventually ran bills out of business. He uses shoulders instead of whole hog.

Shouldn’t this be on topic?

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    When Bill Ellis passed away and left his restaurant to his wife instead of his hard working son. That son decided to open his own place instead of working for his stepmother. He named his place Marty’s after his brother and eventually ran bills out of business. He uses shoulders instead of whole hog.

Good to know. I was a fan of Bill’s. I’ll try Marty’s next trip that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Good to know. I was a fan of Bill’s. I’ll try Marty’s next trip that way.
    Me too! I need to go to Wilson anyway. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ha! I just saw a patient from Wilson who told me this same story. Amazing coincidence.

Website/story: http://www.martysbbq.com/about-us.html

https://www.wral.com/landmark-wilson...oors/18130163/

"Bill Ellis, the longtime owner of Bill’s, died in February 2017 after suffering complications related to a broken hip, according to family members. He was 83.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ellis' sister-in-law, Tanya Neville, wrote, “It is with much regret that we have reached a decision to close Bill’s Barbecue. Against all obstacles, we fought the good fight, but realized it’s time.”

(Dabs tears from eyes and BBQ-flavored drool from lower lip .)
    No post reels me in more quickly than one about food. And BBQ is some of my favorite chow. Sorry I missed Bill's, as in Bill Ellis. We had a Bill's BBQ (and still do) in Richmond, but it's very indifferent.

If you come to our game in Charlottesville, consider visiting Ace's Biscuit and BBQ, 711 Henry Ave., 434-202-1403. Best thing on the breakfast menu: "Ol' Dirty Biscuit": fried chicken, sausage gravy, house-made dill pickles, smoked pimiento cheese on a biscuit. Best thing on the lunch menu: "Ace Cuban": Cue, country ham, dill pickles, pepper jack cheese, spicy brown mustard. Hole in the wall.

if you're adventurous, venture outside C'ville to Blue Ridge Pig, owned by a man named Strawberry (sic), 2198 Rockfish Valley Hwy, Nellysford, 434-361-1170. Hole in the wall, cash-only. A quarter of an hour away is Blue Mountain Brewery, 9519 Critzer's Shop Road, Afton, 540-456-8020, American eats, nothing spectacular, but the Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness is the best stout I've ever sipped, swallowed, or slugged. Can only be had at the brewery. Bunch of other breweries in the area. Also some distilleries.

If you pass through Richmond on the way, and are hungry, consider ZZQ, 3201 W. Moore St., 804-528-5648. Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m or until they sell out and sometimes they do sell out. Obnoxiously, they will not let you pre-order take-out. Great Cue, but the best thing on the menu is the Texas Brisket. Industrial atmosphere.

If you end up in Northern Virginia (you have my sympathies, for I lived there for a while), consider Texas Jack's, 2761 Washington Blvd., Arlington, 703-875-0477. Best thing on the lunch menu: great Cue but the Brisket is better. Best thing on the brunch menu: Huevos Rancheros, brisket or pork, fried tortillas, queso, salsa, pork frijoles, eggs as you like them. Lots of local beers.
    Last edited by UVa1981; 01-19-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UVa1981 View Post
    No post reels me in more quickly than one about food. And BBQ is some of my favorite chow. Sorry I missed Bill's, as in Bill Ellis. We had a Bill's BBQ (and still do) in Richmond, but it's very indifferent.

If you come to our game in Charlottesville, consider visiting Ace's Biscuit and BBQ, 711 Henry Ave., 434-202-1403. Best thing on the breakfast menu: "Ol' Dirty Biscuit": fried chicken, sausage gravy, house-made dill pickles, smoked pimiento cheese on a biscuit. Best thing on the lunch menu: "Ace Cuban": Cue, country ham, dill pickles, pepper jack cheese, spicy brown mustard. Hole in the wall.

if you're adventurous, venture outside C'ville to Blue Ridge Pig, owned by a man named Strawberry (sic), 2198 Rockfish Valley Hwy, Nellysford, 434-361-1170. Hole in the wall, cash-only. A quarter of an hour away is Blue Mountain Brewery, 9519 Critzer's Shop Road, Afton, 540-456-8020, American eats, nothing spectacular, but the Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness is the best stout I've ever sipped, swallowed, or slugged. Can only be had at the brewery. Bunch of other breweries in the area. Also some distilleries.

If you pass through Richmond on the way, and are hungry, consider ZZQ, 3201 W. Moore St., 804-528-5648. Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m or until they sell out and sometimes they do sell out. Obnoxiously, they will not let you pre-order take-out. Great Cue, but the best thing on the menu is the Texas Brisket. Industrial atmosphere.

If you end up in Northern Virginia (you have my sympathies, for I lived there for a while), consider Texas Jack's, 2761 Washington Blvd., Arlington, 703-875-0477. Best thing on the lunch menu: great Cue but the Brisket is better. Best thing on the brunch menu: Huevos Rancheros, brisket or pork, fried tortillas, queso, salsa, pork frijoles, eggs as you like them. Lots of local beers.
    Ahh, we used to own a home at Wintergreen and I remember the Blue Ridge Pig fondly. Very fondly.

I won't swear to it but I *think* I've seen Dark Hollow Reserve in large format bottles in Food Lion in Raleigh of all places.

(I'm going to research that last sentence a bit more.)

Ahh, we used to own a home at Wintergreen and I remember the Blue Ridge Pig fondly. Very fondly.

I won't swear to it but I *think* I've seen Dark Hollow Reserve in large format bottles in Food Lion in Raleigh of all places.

Ah-ha! I've had Dark Hollow Reserve before. From 6-15-13 on Ymm, Beer:

"Dark Hollow-Blue Mountain Brewing

The crown of the Blue Ridge Mountains (and lunch, too). This bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial stout just oozed dark chocolate, vanilla, oak/cedar and booze in a nearly black pour with a modest tan head. Pretty standard IBU at 70 and ABV of 10% made this a fine liquid dessert for lunch. Available in corked and caged 375 and 750 ml bottles. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy another bottle or three of this brew."

Sounds like I enjoyed it.

Now to figure out if I've seen this in NC before.

My brother lives there and, back in the '90's, when I visited Blue Ridge Pig, a Yale University letter of admission for a daughter was on display.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I get around quite a bit in VA although not Charlottesville. I get to Richmond regularly and will check out ZZQ next trip. I like to hit Lunch and Supper off West Broad for either lunch or supper. Good vibe and always good food. If you are interested in Richmond history, listen to the Love + Radio podcast episode titled “Such is the Way to the Stars”. It’s difficult to describe but fascinating.

There are two flavors of Blue Mountain Dark Hollow stout. One is Blue Mountain-Dark Hollow, which can be found at all times (at least in Virginia) at Total Wine and More. The other is Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness. I've only found that at the brewery and the Total Wine folks tell me they can't get that for me. I'd buy a case if they'd get one.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I get around quite a bit in VA although not Charlottesville. I get to Richmond regularly and will check out ZZQ next trip. I like to hit Lunch and Supper off West Broad for either lunch or supper. Good vibe and always good food. If you are interested in Richmond history, listen to the Love + Radio podcast episode titled “Such is the Way to the Stars”. It’s difficult to describe but fascinating.
    ZZQ is about 3 blocks from Lunch or Supper, which has very good food. My fave is the Train Wreck breakfast: sausage gravy, American cheese, and eggs over a biscuit with hash browns to the side. I like to get them separate the eggs and put them on the side as well. Solid food all the way around. Their breakfast sausage is made in-house, is the best I've ever had, and can be bought in bulk for about $7/pound. It's worth every penny.

There are two flavors of Blue Mountain Dark Hollow stout. One is Blue Mountain-Dark Hollow, which can be found at all times (at least in Virginia) at Total Wine and More. The other is Blue Mountain Dark Hollow Reserve: Concealed Darkness. I've only found that at the brewery and the Total Wine folks tell me they can't get that for me. I'd buy a case if they'd get one.
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Makes total sense now.