Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

McDonald's AA team- 2004

After watching the All Star festivities it made me think of the who might have been a college senior this year with fellow AA Demarcus Nelson. That year included Dwight Howard, who won the slam dunk contest and considered one of the best big men in the game, and Daniel Gibson who won the MVP of the Rookie-Sophomore game. That year also had Lamarcus Aldridge, Jordan Farmar, Josh Smith. JR Smith, Rudy Gay. Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer, Marvin Williams, Rajon Rondo, Sebastian Terfair, Darius Washington, Glen Davis, Robert Swift, and even Duke signee, Shawn Livingston. Of that team, only Nelson, Afflalo, Hairston, Mike Williams, DJ white and Jawann McClellan are still playing college ball. I was wondering if this year's class would have as many high level NBA-level players. Not too sure. If anything, looking at the 2004 team makes you realize how wide a range there is in McD AA's talent level.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Of that team, only Nelson, Afflalo, Hairston, Mike Williams, DJ white and Jawann McClellan are still playing college ball.
    Afflalo plays for the Pistons this season.

Your point stands, though... interesting that only 5 remain in college ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    After watching the All Star festivities it made me think of the who might have been a college senior this year with fellow AA Demarcus Nelson. That year included Dwight Howard, who won the slam dunk contest and considered one of the best big men in the game, and Daniel Gibson who won the MVP of the Rookie-Sophomore game. That year also had Lamarcus Aldridge, Jordan Farmar, Josh Smith. JR Smith, Rudy Gay. Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer, Marvin Williams, Rajon Rondo, Sebastian Terfair, Darius Washington, Glen Davis, Robert Swift, and even Duke signee, Shawn Livingston. Of that team, only Nelson, Afflalo, Hairston, Mike Williams, DJ white and Jawann McClellan are still playing college ball. I was wondering if this year's class would have as many high level NBA-level players. Not too sure. If anything, looking at the 2004 team makes you realize how wide a range there is in McD AA's talent level.
    That 2004 high school class was one of the most loaded ones ever. 14 1st round picks on that McD's team, 8 of them lottery picks. By comparison, the 2003 team only had 10 1st round picks and 4 lottery picks, and the 2002 team had only 7 1st rounders but all were in the lottery. This year's class is supposed to be as weak as the 2005 class and that class will most likely fall well short of any of the numbers stated above.

Thumbs up Congrats to Elliot Williams

Selected to the McDonald's All American team. No surprise, but congrats anyway!

a day late... but there is no reason not to have 2 threads congratulating the kid... he will be helping Duke to its next national championship!

How did I miss that? Oh well, Mods do what you do!

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    a day late... but there is no reason not to have 2 threads congratulating the kid... he will be helping Duke to its next national championship!
    Pessimist!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Back from inury

I saw that he just returned February 9th from his knee injury (out for ~ a month) and put up 20 pts, 7 rbs, and 7 assists. Hopefully he is fully recovered.

Ty Zeller

Here's hoping Ty produces like his brother Luke - now at ND. We were recruiting Luke and are lucky we didn't get him. Although the tallest player for the Irish, he has the highest percentage of threes taken. It is difficult to find Zeller anywhere near the paint. Needless to say, his three years at ND have been considered disappointing - one buddy of mine continuously complains about the 6' 11" shooting guard when they need more help in the post. I hope his little brother has the same enthusiasm for mixing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Here's hoping Ty produces like his brother Luke - now at ND. We were recruiting Luke and are lucky we didn't get him. Although the tallest player for the Irish, he has the highest percentage of threes taken. It is difficult to find Zeller anywhere near the paint. Needless to say, his three years at ND have been considered disappointing - one buddy of mine continuously complains about the 6' 11" shooting guard when they need more help in the post. I hope his little brother has the same enthusiasm for mixing it up.
    I wouldn't count on it. From what I've read and seen, he's a lot more willing to mix it up in the paint than his brother. While he's no Hansbrough in the paint, he's probably more like Josh or Kyle in range and post play ability. I would compare him to some of Williams' guys at Kansas, like Collison, but it's way too early to be drawing those comparisons between a pro and a guy not even out of high school.

My UNC friends insist that he's as much better than his brother, than Joe Wolf was better than his brother, Jeff. But, they suffer from azure pigmented spectacles.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Interesting that Larry Drew made the team, given that most recruiting services don't rate him that highly. Guess it shows how much it helps to sign with a Duke or UNC. Now we can listen to announcers say how many Mickie Dee's Kerlina has.

Drew got in because the point guard class isn't very deep. He's rated about the sixth or seventh best point guard, and one of the guys ahead of him has some legal issues.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be smart, solid pg for UNC, but he's no Lawson or Felton. He might be one of those guys who are annoyingly better than their physical game would suggest, but he won't scare you as a pure athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Drew got in because the point guard class isn't very deep. He's rated about the sixth or seventh best point guard, and one of the guys ahead of him has some legal issues.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be smart, solid pg for UNC, but he's no Lawson or Felton. He might be one of those guys who are annoyingly better than their physical game would suggest, but he won't scare you as a pure athlete.
    I haven't seen him yet, but Ed Cota is who Drew is being compared to by a lot who have seen him.

I've heard the Cota comparison also, athough most think he has a better shot than Cota. As a Duke fan, I hope he plays defense like Cota, excepting that Final Four run where he actually put some effort into it.