Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Once again, thanks to a set of circumstances, UVA is going to win the regular season again. They either have a cupcake of a schedule or our players get hurt. Oh well, that's the least important of the season championships.
    And what did Virginia winning the ACC regular AND tournament titles get them?

I don't get the "outcoached" thing. Syracuse is a bad 3 point shooting team that really couldn't miss even very contested shots tonight. Boeheim is a genius! K has always, for better or worse, encouraged his players not to hesitate to shoot the 3 if they are open. I'm not sure how a coach completely changes an offensive philosophy for 1 game. I guess that makes him an idiot when his team loses but also a genius if his team wins?

-c

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    PERHAPS THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE SOME ATTEMPT AT TAKING A SHOT INSIDE THAT BLUE ARCH THINGY, SINCE THEY MISSED PRACTICALLY ALL OF THEM AND SYRACUSE WAS IN FOUL TROUBLE EIGHT MINUTES INTO THE GAME. Is it that they can’t learn, or they WON’T learn????????????????????
    And the truth shall set you free...Face it. Syrapuke played out of their heads and we did some very dumb things..Too many 3s from guys that were not hitting..Poor defense on the perimeter. Turnovers of the unforced variety...
    AOC was good as our most dependable outside threat...

Now no more of this "We cannot beat UVA without Tre" talk. We can, and we will!
    But I of course want him healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Seriously... I can't even w/ the Cam and Tre out excuse. Is that why we shot 43 3 pointers and made 9 of them? We have the #1 and #2 pick in next year's NBA draft. Teams would kill to have the talent that Duke had out on the floor.

We just played terribly. 9 for 43. Alex was 4 of 8. The rest of them were 5 of 35. RJ took 17 3s.

That loss was embarrassing.
    Maybe that would have been a good time to burn Joey Baker's redshirt. If we were going to hoist 3's anyway, might as well put a healthy guy out there who can drain them and give our guys a rest.

I know I know. I just hate losing conference games at home to bad teams. Asterisk or no asterisk, it's an L in Cameron to Syracuse. 3-1 in ACC with UVA coming to town and Tre Jones injured. This was devastating.

PERHAPS THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE SOME ATTEMPT AT TAKING A SHOT INSIDE THAT BLUE ARCH THINGY, SINCE THEY MISSED PRACTICALLY ALL OF THEM AND SYRACUSE WAS IN FOUL TROUBLE EIGHT MINUTES INTO THE GAME. Is it that they can’t learn, or they WON’T learn????????????????????
    We weren’t getting calls inside, and many of our forays into the lane led to easy transition buckets. We didn’t take many bad 3s, we just missed. Jack White had an awful game, but I kept thinking he’d hit the next one.

It sucks to lose, but I have major respect and admiration for the guys who fought out there tonight,on short rest, after a war on Saturday in Tally. This is especially true of RJ who played all game both games, I think.

Yes, we have 2 projected top 2 picks in the game, do we expect them to just be able to adjust to playing out of position and do whatever they want against a zone that they never see? As sometimes happens, when Duke is the other team, players rise up and play out of their minds...most of the Cuse guys save for the spindly center played way over their heads. Still and all, if Zion hits a FT (on a phantom call by the way), we might win. We almost won despite it all.

It IS all about Tre. His health is all that matters right now.

Tre out hurts. Cam out hurts. Jack White was, uh, that.

How the hell didn’t coach K tell them to stop heaving threes? We stink at shooting threes. They came into the second half in dire foul trouble and we just heaved it over and over and over and over.

That was a humiliating effort by the coaching staff. We’ll lose by thirty to UVA if Tre is out.
    Pretty hard to score and not shoot 3s when all 5 defenders have a foot in the key. You have to shoot and have to make it to loosen up the D. Even 1 or 2 makes, makes the defense have to respect you.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Seriously... I can't even w/ the Cam and Tre out excuse. Is that why we shot 43 3 pointers and made 9 of them? We have the #1 and #2 pick in next year's NBA draft. Teams would kill to have the talent that Duke had out on the floor.

We just played terribly. 9 for 43. Alex was 4 of 8. The rest of them were 5 of 35. RJ took 17 3s.

That loss was embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don’t think it was embarrassing. I agree our coaching staff got out coached. I agree we shot waaaay too many threes. But Cuse played great denial D against Zion (ie our only internal threat). And they intentionally left our streaky shooters open on the perimeter (RJ, White, Zion, Goldwire).
    Yeah, embarrassing is a bit much. That said, even with two starters out, this was a bad loss. The sky isn't falling, this isn't an inherently flawed team, but that was a bad loss to a bad team at home (had it happend @Syracuse it would be a little different). I continue to question not using Goldwire at the point more in the 2nd half to allow Barrett to play off ball, but in K we trust.

On to the next one, let's get healthy (fingers crossed for Tre) and hopefully remember that we are not a 3 point shooting team going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    I don't get the "outcoached" thing. Syracuse is a bad 3 point shooting team that really couldn't miss even very contested shots tonight. Boeheim is a genius! K has always, for better or worse, encouraged his players not to hesitate to shoot the 3 if they are open. I'm not sure how a coach completely changes an offensive philosophy for 1 game. I guess that makes him an idiot when his team loses but also a genius if his team wins?

-c
    Unfortunately, K encourages his pt guards to dive for loose balls. They are way too valuable- like QBs in the NFL. Need to keep Jones in bubble wrap. Duke had a TON of wide open looks- just did not hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Maybe that would have been a good time to burn Joey Baker's redshirt. If we were going to hoist 3's anyway, might as well put a healthy guy out there who can drain them and give our guys a rest.

I know I know. I just hate losing conference games at home to bad teams. Asterisk or no asterisk, it's an L in Cameron to Syracuse. 3-1 in ACC with UVA coming to town and Tre Jones injured. This was devastating.
    I’d rather come off a loss and face UVA at home than a win (cus Duke plays better angry). But I’d rather have a health Tre over anything else.

That injury...sigh.

Get well Tre!!!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not when being mugged repeatedly gets ignored and called inconsistently and rarely.
    I wish Zion got the calls from the refs that Hanstravel received. Oh, wait there's that Swofford guy. GoDuke!

Coach K says Tre Jones has a shoulder sprain and was in a ton of pain. No break. They don't know how long he will be out yet.

A game that started so promising coming off such an emotional road win and then Cam gets sick and Duke loses Tre for while. Such a tough night for the team and program. A huge bump in the road.

I don’t think it was embarrassing. I agree our coaching staff got out coached. I agree we shot waaaay too many threes. But Cuse played great denial D against Zion (ie our only internal threat). And they intentionally left our streaky shooters open on the perimeter (RJ, White, Zion, Goldwire).
    It will happen again, folks - count on it! Until Duke coaches start sitting non-performers more, and start using bench players when needed, we will surely be beaten. It's a team game...let others develop and contribute as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    And what did Virginia winning the ACC regular AND tournament titles get them?
    Two more banners in the rafters than we got last year?

Duke missed too many threes. The shots were wide open and the right shot to take.

who gives a flying ...."

UVa is not considered the best program in the nation in case your'e interested.

the ONLY banner that matters is national championships. Do they put spotlights on those dozens of other banners?

Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Gotta give credit to Cuse. They challenged our outside shooting, and it paid off for them. Cuse shot above their average. Two of our starters not playing. The stars were in perfect alignment for this upset.

Get better Cam and Tre. Shake it off, Jack.
    This game had all the ingredients to bake a Duke loss.

Poor outside shooting- Check
    Inconsistent officiating- Check
    One (or more) opposing players having a career night- Check

I'm seriously impressed with Syracuse. Went all "Coach K" on her with the "Syracuse deserved to win."

Of course, they won't play this good again for the remainder of the season.

Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The way that this board has turned on guys who we were in love with days ago is very discouraging. This game was a statistical abnormality in a lot of senses, including Jack White’s shooting, not to mention the team in general. The 2-3 zone is designed to take away drives to the basket. You have to take and make 3s to open up those lanes. A middle school basketball coach knows that. Very few of the shots we took were contested, bad shots, or shots taken by non-shooters. I’d bet money Coach K was telling the team, including Jack, to keep shooting. They just didn’t go in. Meanwhile, a horrible three point shooting team couldn’t miss.

Again, if you’re at all mathematically inclined spent a moment thinking about how unlikely it is for a 30+% 3 point shooter to go 0-10 in a game that a team that shoots under 30% from 3 as a whole shoots 44%. It’s an outlier. Stack that on top of the half a dozen other bad breaks we got and you get a tough loss. It shouldn’t cause us the panic, let alone start bashing our captain who gives his heart and soul for this team.

Breathe before you post people. We’re all better than some of this.
    Post game threads are always going o be for venting. But that aside, this was not simply a matter of an outlier in shooting (at least on Duke's end) not all threes are created equal and Duke took barely any good threes all night. Out of 43 of em, there were maybe 10 at most that were either open in transition or caught from a pass inside the arc where you catch it in the shooting pocket and are facing the basket without having to turn your body. For the guys on the floor tonight, catch turn and shoot is not a good shot. That doesn't mean they won't ever improve or have better days, but make no mistake, it wasn't a matter of a bad shooting night, it was bad offense, especially in the last 12 minutes of regulation and OT. Part of that is guys we're gassed. Zion and Marques/Javin did nothing but stand on the block and hold their hands up for a pass. No one set screens, no one made cuts. It would also be a disservice to put it all on the guys launching those shots, but if you were to repeat that last 17 minutes of offense again, you'd be foolish to expect better results because you think the shooting was an outlier.

I'm so frustrated.