Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, when you are missing two starters, that can happen.
    Missing 2 starters with no chance to actually practice with the team you actually have available, to boot. They ran out of gas at the end. The short turnaround combined with the unplanned short bench did us in. We play that team again at full strength, we beat them double digits.

Gotta give credit to Cuse. They challenged our outside shooting, and it paid off for them. Cuse shot above their average. Two of our starters not playing. The stars were in perfect alignment for this upset.

Get better Cam and Tre. Shake it off, Jack.

Let’s hope tre is okay.

Missing two starters for most of the game.

White went 0 for 10

Maybe over looked this game a bit with Va coming to town this weekend.

Perfect storm, let regroup and get heathly.

Despite the couple of what-ifs.

Big ones what if the refs actually made a call on a third of 13’s fouls in the 2nd half? What if we hit just one of the 30+ 3s missed in regulation?

In the end with having 2 starters out and missed all those 3s, its pretty good that the game went into OT. Just wish I believed in morale victories so I wouldn’t be so disgruntled right now.

A little baffled why we stopped driving with so many of their players in foul trouble. To their defense, there was also a lot of inconsistent foul calls in the second half. Zion would get clobbered on one entry pass and it was just a turnover, yet a couple of the shooting fouls were far less egregious.

Feel bad for White. Hard to say he shouldn't have taken most of those open threes. With either Tre or Cam we win going away, I feel. Oh, well, next one up.

Also clutch job by Mike Eades to make us all remember TV Teddy has competition.

Coach has forgotten more basketball than I’ll ever know, but a little surprised he couldn’t try to steal a couple minutes with goldwire in the second half, if for no other reason than to avoid having rj expel more energy bringing the ball up

I give them a lot of credit for even getting it to OT against a team who was spinning around a dizzy bat three times, chucking it over their head blindfolded and having it go in, but this team was not at all prepared to play any respectable offense without Tre. That goes just as much on the coaches as the players. They had pretty much two plays the entire last 15 minutes of that game, chuck at three after lazy perimeter passes, or bounce pass to Zion in the middle of all 5 defenders and hope he could muscle through it. I don’t know the final number, but there’s n reason this Duke team should ever be within 10 of taking that many threes in a game. This may have been a high scoring game, but the offense was the issue.

Again, you can’t do anything about the ridiculous number of low percentage shots Syracuse made and that’s ultimately why the game was lost, but this team did not step up to fill the void of missing a point guard as well. And there’s a good chance they’ll need to spend a ton of time working on that going forward because we don’t know how long Tre is gone.

Tough loss but a perfect storm of negatives that allowed it to happen.

Cam our best shooter being out for the game. Then Tre getting injured basically right at the beginning. I'm praying its just a minor injury and they kept him out as a precaution.

Then of course the players who played today just couldn't hit a three point shot to save their lives. Not sure whats going on with Jack but it started in the last game where he basically was ice cold from 3 (one make?). Then I think syracuse did a real head job on him today on both ends. Culminating in battle putting him on the floor with a crossover. Just seems like Jack is either running on fumes or his head is gone. Needs to sort it out by the next game.

Alex O'Connell hit some good shots but also made some real boneheaded plays. He was also a bit of a defensive liability out there and cuse was targeting him a bit on that end. Needs to continue to bulk up and change his body if he is to take it to the next level.

All in all, its not a bad loss. Better we have these problems now because I'm 100% certain coach K and the staff will ensure they don't ever play like this again come the tournament. Im talking about the role players going cold and not stepping up.

Right now Im just praying we stay healthy and that Tre comes back fully fit.

Sucks to lose the most important player on the team, but even still, they had to hit about 15 insanely tough shots and a 75 footer to edge us in OT . . .

O'Connell stepped up, but he wasn't ready to play that many minutes in this kind of game. Those turnovers down the stretch were tough.

Jack had the game from Hell. It was agonizing to watch. I don't know if he was just tired or all the missed shots got in his head, but he was really off his game on defense and on the boards in the 2nd half.

Tre, please be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Get better soon Tre!

Burn the tape, on to the next one.
    Not sure I would do that. This game demonstrated that an offense consisting of Jack and Alex tossing the ball back and forth to each other is indeed not an offense.

Watching the Texas vs. Kansas game and the announcers are talking about how Duke "got caught looking ahead to UVA" and "that's what you get when you have freshmen who have never played those kind of situations."

I guess no one bothered to tell them that we were down two starters.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    Missing 2 starters with no chance to actually practice with the team you actually have available, to boot. They ran out of gas at the end. The short turnaround combined with the unplanned short bench did us in. We play that team again at full strength, we beat them double digits.
    We have the top two picks in the draft on this team...
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

No one will ever say that Jack White gives up. Some may say that after seven or eight misses, he should have given up.

At the end of the day, all that really matters here is whether Tre is ok. It is no understatement to say that this team will not have a chance at a championship without him.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Damn that 80 foot prayer
    And that banked in 3 from the coaches baby boy. GoDuke!

These are the games that keep us from winning regular season. UVA plays great D regardless of their lineup. In the big picture, losing tonite doesn’t matter, just hard to go 15-3 or so losing at home to an average ACC team.

The maxim has been lose a game for every freshman you start. Two down, two to go.

Massive good vibes to Tre. Hoping there is good news to hear.

It’s also easy to say “oh well move on” but with a loss like this and Tre possibly out for the game against UVA — plus our ungodly ACC schedule — it looks like we are making a beeline towards yet another year where we don’t win the ACC.

Getting tired of second place finishes.

good luck finding a "tape."

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Shameful officiating in the second half. For about 10 minutes we attacked the basket and got mauled with not a single whistle. Then, understandably enough, we gave up on going inside and just clanked 3s.

That said, not much to take from a game sans Tre and Cam, other than to appreciate that those guys are really good. Painful to lose an OT game where the other team hit a banked in and a 3/4 court three. Ugh.
    Chukwu gets 4 fouls in first half none the rest of the way.if we could a hit a few more 3's we win.hard to go inside when your getting hammered. I just hope jones is ok.

Wow....what a game.

I know some folks will be pretty upset but all things considered things aren't that bad...depending on the status of Jones of course.

This was the classic trap game...quick turnaround after an emotional win, against a desperate team that plays a D that forces us to make threes.

Congrats to Syracuse...they played all out especially after that horrific start...and they just kept making shots...including from 80 feet.

Another good lesson for our guys...not terribly disappointed at all.