Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    It IS a separated joint, the acromioclavicular joint (albeit a relatively less important joint). It's a ligament injury of the small joint between the clavicle and the shoulder blade. It's easy to confuse shoulder separation (involves the AC joint) with a shoulder dislocation (involves the glenohumeral or ball-and-cup joint) - same general body area, very different ramifications.

Even in lacrosse, football or wrestling, an athlete with a painful but low-grade separated shoulder might play the next game. The fact that is confirmed to be an AC separation should be a great sign.

X-rays are needed for the correct classification (although MRI can substitute by visualizing the state of the ligaments). That said, looking at Jay Williams tweet of Tre walking off the court, it didn't look like a high grade separation, so, here's hoping for a speedy recovery and return! (Does this count as speculation, or informed speculation????)
    This is as informed speculation as you can get. Thanks!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think the real vigil here is for Marek Dolezaj's psyche...while I'm sure the immediate effect was felt much more physically after attempting to take a charge on zion williamson, the prognosis for a full mental recovery is grim.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealJayWi...71899828998144
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    if Cam has the flu...get everyone else on this team on Tamiflu stat. Thats the last thing we need going thru this team.
    Yeah, that's not how it works (and Tamiflu isn't a great drug anyways, but that's another story). Disclosure: I have an MD behind my name.

This is for the "at least it's not broken" camp: if it was a broken clavicle, there's a pretty defined timeline to that one, it's about 6 weeks which would be start of March for a return. AC joint separation, as others have already discussed on here, means that at the AC (acromion-to-clavicle) joint, the ligament connecting those 2 bones has torn. There are degrees of severity to the tear that can occur, and there will be oceanfront property in Durham before anyone involved with the program releases the information on the degree of the AC joint separation. Thus you get the uncertainty of how long he will be out, which could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to the entire season. When a team states that a guy is going to be out "indefinitely" as Duke has already done (and I highly doubt they got an MRI on Jones tonight), they know that it's not a short-term injury.

His return will be determined by how quickly he gain regain normal range-of-motion as well as his pain tolerance. Don't forget this aspect of it too: it's his right shoulder, so it will impact his shooting and dribbling more than if it was his left shoulder (aka non-dominant side).

I swear these indefinite timeline for healing injuries hit Duke so hard. It just sucks. Hoping it’s a very minor injury and we see Tre real soon.

not good but Cam Reddish will be the primary facilitator now in a point forward type role like Winslow is doing now with the Miami Heat. Cam and Alex in the backcourt.. Barrett, Zion/White, Javin/Marques in the front court. I think this will make better use of Cam's all around abilities instead of just being a shooter.

Zion can even bring the ball up sometimes.. like Anthony Mason 1993 Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Yeah, that's not how it works (and Tamiflu isn't a great drug anyways, but that's another story). Disclosure: I have an MD behind my name.

This is for the "at least it's not broken" camp: if it was a broken clavicle, there's a pretty defined timeline to that one, it's about 6 weeks which would be start of March for a return. AC joint separation, as others have already discussed on here, means that at the AC (acromion-to-clavicle) joint, the ligament connecting those 2 bones has torn. There are degrees of severity to the tear that can occur, and there will be oceanfront property in Durham before anyone involved with the program releases the information on the degree of the AC joint separation. Thus you get the uncertainty of how long he will be out, which could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to the entire season. When a team states that a guy is going to be out "indefinitely" as Duke has already done (and I highly doubt they got an MRI on Jones tonight), they know that it's not a short-term injury.

His return will be determined by how quickly he gain regain normal range-of-motion as well as his pain tolerance. Don't forget this aspect of it too: it's his right shoulder, so it will impact his shooting and dribbling more than if it was his left shoulder (aka non-dominant side).
    You read my mind... this was my question... I thought it was his right shoulder. So it will affect dribbling and shooting... but what about defense? Staying in front and harassing the ball handler shouldn't be much affected? but what about steals... are his steals mostly with his right or left hand...

It IS a separated joint, the acromioclavicular joint (albeit a relatively less important joint). It's a ligament injury of the small joint between the clavicle and the shoulder blade. It's easy to confuse shoulder separation (involves the AC joint) with a shoulder dislocation (involves the glenohumeral or ball-and-cup joint) - same general body area, very different ramifications.

Even in lacrosse, football or wrestling, an athlete with a painful but low-grade separated shoulder might play the next game. The fact that is confirmed to be an AC separation should be a great sign.

X-rays are needed for the correct classification (although MRI can substitute by visualizing the state of the ligaments). That said, looking at Jay Williams tweet of Tre walking off the court, it didn't look like a high grade separation, so, here's hoping for a speedy recovery and return! (Does this count as speculation, or informed speculation????)
    Thanks, billy.

I hope I never have to explain loss of consciousness or a cardiac arrest that happened during a Duke game .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    When it comes to injuries to our players, I just don't trust what our staff says. They are really, really cagey about stuff

I'm just hoping this isn't another Kyrie thing
    Friend to orthopedic surgeon inquiring about Kyrie's injury: "So doc, on a scale of 1-3 on the severity of a turf toe injury, how bad was it?"

Ortho surgeon: "5."

Let's hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thanks, billy.

I hope I never have to explain loss of consciousness or a cardiac arrest that happened during a Duke game .
    Do fans count?

Can someone spork DD for me? I need to spread some more comments around...

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    This is for the "at least it's not broken" camp: if it was a broken clavicle, there's a pretty defined timeline to that one, it's about 6 weeks which would be start of March for a return.
    Sort of??? Daniel Jones returned 3 weeks after a clavicle fracture surgery (open reduction and internal fixation, to be medically accurate). As you pointed out, LOTS of variables with almost any injury.

That's what she said. But seriously thank you. We were thinking Tre was likely hustled straight over to Duke Hospital for the x-rays/MRI during first half.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Sort of??? Daniel Jones returned 3 weeks after a clavicle fracture surgery (open reduction and internal fixation, to be medically accurate). As you pointed out, LOTS of variables with almost any injury.
    I was accounting for natural healing of the clavicle, not a Tony Romo or Daniel Jones situation where they have an operation to reduce the fracture and speed up healing.

Do fans count?
    No. You're on your own at home, but we can discuss pre/post-op sometime.

My buddy thought the same thing watching it...he put his money on him being back saturday...but he also rode his bike up mount evans with a torn ACL....soooo YMMV...

But either way, good to have multiple doctors at least visually thinking the same thing watching. Thanks for your opinions!
    April 1

Impossible to know specifics and every injury is different, but Kennard had a similarly labeled injury this season and missed about a month.

So I did a simple google and this is what I came up with:

Most patients with acromioclavicular joint injury start to feel better within a few days or a week of the injury. However, full ligament healing will take at least six weeks.

The patient is allowed to return to sports when there is full and painless range of motion, no more tenderness when the AC joint is touched, and manual traction does not cause pain. This usually takes about 2 weeks for a grade I injury, 6 weeks for a grade II injury, and up to 12 weeks for a grade III injury.

Consistent with what all the MD's and physicians above me have stated, the recovery time will depend on the severity of the injury - which will probably never be made public. Lets just hope Tre is able to come back in 1 month or so and get tuned up for the Tournament.

It just feels like all our nightmares are coming true. The one guy we couldnt afford injury to, has been injured. Its just a real bad run of injuries almost every damn year!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    So I did a simple google and this is what I came up with:

Most patients with acromioclavicular joint injury start to feel better within a few days or a week of the injury. However, full ligament healing will take at least six weeks.

The patient is allowed to return to sports when there is full and painless range of motion, no more tenderness when the AC joint is touched, and manual traction does not cause pain. This usually takes about 2 weeks for a grade I injury, 6 weeks for a grade II injury, and up to 12 weeks for a grade III injury.

Consistent with what all the MD's and physicians above me have stated, the recovery time will depend on the severity of the injury - which will probably never be made public. Lets just hope Tre is able to come back in 1 month or so and get tuned up for the Tournament.

It just feels like all our nightmares are coming true. The one guy we couldnt afford injury to, has been injured. Its just a real bad run of injuries almost every damn year!
    I had an AC joint injury 22 months ago. I still don't have full and painless range of motion, still have some tenderness and if I lean on my left elbow too long it hurts. I hope Tre has a grade I injury (I did not and probably should have opted for surgery).

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    not good but Cam Reddish will be the primary facilitator now in a point forward type role like Winslow is doing now with the Miami Heat. Cam and Alex in the backcourt.. Barrett, Zion/White, Javin/Marques in the front court. I think this will make better use of Cam's all around abilities instead of just being a shooter.
    This is the 2nd time I’ve seen this suggested and I don’t think it makes a lot sense. Granted there aren’t many options. But putting a turnover prone player like Cam in charge of facilitating seems like a bad idea. I would much rather see Zion and Barrett handle this with only a few dashes of Goldwire. I think we can count on both the offense and defense being pretty meek for awhile now. Toss the current kenpom out the window.

He’s not a guard I know, but if Trey is out an extended time does K rethink the Baker redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post

Zion can even bring the ball up sometimes.. like Anthony Mason 1993 Knicks.
    Nope. Barrett will be our primary ballhandler.

Wishing Tre a speedy recovery. But I fear our entire season was jeopardized with his injury.

Tonight also demonstrated how much we need a point guard next season if Tre doesn't return. Goldwire will never be an adequate option for significant minutes at the point.