Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    True...but they might end up better getting him back than they would've been without the injury...
    We can only hope- never boring.

Also

if Cam has the flu...get everyone else on this team on Tamiflu stat. Thats the last thing we need going thru this team.
    Windy City Devil

My non-informed speculation:

Tre is out for 4 weeks with a severe sprain.

UVA: loss
    Pitt: nail biter win
    Gtech: turnover riddled ugly win
    Notre Dame: loss
    St. Johns: loss (oof streak over. That will hurt!)
    BC: win

Tre comes back

Louisville: loss
    NC State: win

Team back to normal.

So I’m estimating 4 additional conference losses coming up attributable to Tre being out. That puts us at no less than 5 total ACC losses. Not terrible but certainly out of the running for the title crown and out of the double bye. Now let’s see how wrong I am about all this. I’m very pessimistic about how this affects the season but I’m highly optimistic we get him back fully healthy and integrated with the team.

Marek Dolezaj's psyche vigil

I think the real vigil here is for Marek Dolezaj's psyche...while I'm sure the immediate effect was felt much more physically after attempting to take a charge on zion williamson, the prognosis for a full mental recovery is grim.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    My non-informed speculation:

Tre is out for 4 weeks with a severe sprain.

Pitt: nail biter win
    Gtech: turnover riddled ugly win
    Notre Dame: loss
    St. Johns: loss (oof streak over. That will hurt!)
    BC: win

Tre comes back

Louisville: loss
    NC State: win

Team back to normal.

So I’m estimating 4 additional conference losses coming up attributable to Tre being out. That puts us at no less than 5 total ACC losses. Not terrible but certainly out of the running for the title crown and out of the double bye. Now let’s see how wrong I am about all this. I’m very pessimistic about how this affects the season but I’m highly optimistic we get him back fully healthy and integrated with the team.
    Could be. I think the regular season is probably not possible with Jones out - unless we get Fla State Cam in every game. The D, sadly, will not be the same. I was really enjoying watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think the real vigil here is for Marek Dolezaj's psyche...while I'm sure the immediate effect was felt much more physically after attempting to take a charge on zion williamson, the prognosis for a full mental recovery is grim.
    Maybe physical as well. I think he only played 1 min in th second half. And he looked like he was in a lot of pain

The physics of that hit was unreal. The kid got lifted off the ground with his feet initially planted! I really hope he’s okay and there is no long term impact.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Optimistic silver lining - we develop bench strength, new roles, and cohesion a la Bobby Hurley's broken ankle (1991 or 1992, national championship team) which allowed Grant Hill to develop PG skills and when Amile Jefferson developed skills defending the 5 when Jah hurt his foot (2015, national championship team). Tre comes back in plenty of time to integrate into the lineup before the NCAA tournament. Sure, we take some lumps in the meantime, but come Tourney time we have our top starters who are healthy and players with real game experience and stamina who can play with confidence off the bench. Plus our starters can easily shift roles for extended minutes if someone gets into foul trouble. Mark my words. You heard it hear first. This sucks right now, but as long as Tre can recover fully and rejoin the team in a matter of weeks, this may help in the long run.
    Last edited by Rich; 01-14-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Could be. I think the regular season is probably not possible with Jones out - unless we get Fla State Cam in every game. The D, sadly, will not be the same. I was really enjoying watching that.
    Yeah. Tre’s impact on O is very positive, but it’s the D that will take a massive hit. If Tre is out 3-4 weeks with 1-2 weeks of reintegration, I think we’ll undoubtedly see a few more loses.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Maybe physical as well. I think he only played 1 min in th second half. And he looked like he was in a lot of pain

The physics of that hit was unreal. The kid got lifted off the ground with his feet initially planted! I really hope he’s okay and there is no long term impact.
    I of course hope he's not injured (and note he only plays 19 minutes a game anyway)...but maybe his sacrifice will deter those who succeed him.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The Zion Challenge: Video yourself taking a charge from a person of at least 270 pounds.

I think it should be the new viral sensation, though probably just as deadly as the Tide Pod Challenge of 2018 and not as good-intentioned as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge of 2015.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't watch the heck out of a youtube compilation of people doing the Zion Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah. Tre’s impact on O is very positive, but it’s the D that will take a massive hit. If Tre is out 3-4 weeks with 1-2 weeks of reintegration, I think we’ll undoubtedly see a few more loses.
    Well it is all about the post season for this team- so the question is what kind of seed will Duke get. They still will be in the hunt for a 1 or a 2 but it just got harder.

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Sounds like it probably is a separated shoulder from what K said about it being a sprain post game. Separated shoulder = acromioclavicular (AC) sprain = AC separation. Without going into too much detail, most of the time it’s an “as tolerated” injury, in that once you can move the arm comfortably and “protect” yourself, you can play Only the most severe sprains need fixing surgically. A diagnosis of AC separation would be best case scenario in terms of expedience of return. Unlike many other injuries, accurate diagnosis can be made with physical exam and x-ray. Not that a MRI scan won’t be obtained, it likely will, just that it’s a pretty straightforward diagnosis. Nothing would surprise me regarding return date, if confirmed to be AC joint, from a few days to a few weeks.
    And...bingo

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/s...22955170603008

AC Joint separation per release.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well it is all about the post season for this team- so the question is what kind of seed will Duke get. They still will be in the hunt for a 1 or a 2 but it just got harder.
    I didn’t think about this. Losing out on a 1 seed is much more devastating than losing out on the ACC title. Duke teams of the last couple decades have fared much better as 1 seeds than anything lower. (duh)
    Last edited by jipops; 01-14-2019 at 11:08 PM.

So seriously not as bad as the whole joint sep right orthopods?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    an AC separation is the join separation. it's where the bits of the clavicle and scapula meet above the ball of your humerous. We have no idea how bad it is. It can be anywhere from mild to total. I had a partial separation a couple years ago along with a broken acromion process. Even after the bone healed a couple months later, the joint was still tender to the touch.

So it could be anything...which is why it's indefinite. He could be back saturday, he could be done for the year.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I didn’t think about this. Losing out on a 1 seed is much more devastating than losing out on the ACC title. Duke teams of the last couple decades have fared much better as 1 seeds than anything lower.
    That’s the concern. All of our titles were a a number one except for our first. Most of our runner up team were also 1 seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    How long does it take for a shoulder separation to heal?
    Depending on how severe the injury is, it may heal adequately in two to three weeks. In severe cases, the shoulder may not heal without surgery.
    https://www.scoi.com/patient-resourc...avicular-joint
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It IS a separated joint, the acromioclavicular joint (albeit a relatively less important joint). It's a ligament injury of the small joint between the clavicle and the shoulder blade. It's easy to confuse shoulder separation (involves the AC joint) with a shoulder dislocation (involves the glenohumeral or ball-and-cup joint) - same general body area, very different ramifications.

Even in lacrosse, football or wrestling, an athlete with a painful but low-grade separated shoulder might play the next game. The fact that is confirmed to be an AC separation should be a great sign.

X-rays are needed for the correct classification (although MRI can substitute by visualizing the state of the ligaments). That said, looking at Jay Williams tweet of Tre walking off the court, it didn't look like a high grade separation, so, here's hoping for a speedy recovery and return! (Does this count as speculation, or informed speculation????)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Optimistic silver lining - we develop bench strength, new roles, and cohesion a la Bobby Hurley's broken ankle (1991 or 1992, national championship team) which allowed Grant Hill to develop PG skills and when Amile Jefferson developed skills defending the 5 when Jah hurt his foot (2015, national championship team). Tre comes back in plenty of time to integrate into the lineup before the NCAA tournament. Sure, we take some lumps in the meantime, but come Tourney time we have our top starters who are healthy and players with real game experience and stamina who can play with confidence off the bench. Plus our starters can easily shift roles for extended minutes if someone gets into foul trouble. Mark my words. You heard it hear first. This sucks right now, but as long as Tre can recover fully and rejoin the team in a matter of weeks, this may help in the long run.
    I agree... I'm also of the thinking that this will allow the *team* to develop. Hopefully Cam will be the Grant Hill PG... and lead this team.