Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

UNC academics/scandal talk

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But Little can come back to the Hill, goof off, not go to class and play millennial video games for a few more years. OTOH RJ, Cam, Zion and Tre are gonna work their butts off to make their $millions as 19 year old adults. All part of Roy’s master plan.
    Hmm...I don’t know about this “goof off and not go to class thing”. My daughter is a freshman at UNC (waitlisted by Duke, ultimately didn’t get in) and that has not been her experience at all. She was a strong student in high school and assumed she was well-prepared for college. Well, UNC has been TOUGH thus far. She took 17 hours and had at least two premed med school weed out classes, so that probably didn’t help. Still, she studies quite a bit, doesn’t party much at all, and is focused on doing well.

Yet, A’s are really hard to come by and even B’s are a real challenge. All of her teachers took attendance and were very serious about tardiness. Any student absent more than two times got marked down one letter grade. Same thing with three tardies. Now I don’t know if all schools are like this these days, but UNC’s policies are far more draconian than when I attended undergrad in the 80’s. I don’t remember these things being an issue whatsoever when I was in school. And yes, classes were fairly tough, but not nearly as difficult as hers appear to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hmm...I don’t know about this “goof off and not go to class thing”. My daughter is a freshman at UNC (waitlisted by Duke, ultimately didn’t get in) and that has not been her experience at all. She was a strong student in high school and assumed she was well-prepared for college. Well, UNC has been TOUGH thus far. She took 17 hours and had at least two premed med school weed out classes, so that probably didn’t help. Still, she studies quite a bit, doesn’t party much at all, and is focused on doing well. Yet, A’s are really hard to come by and even B’s are a challenge. All of her teachers took attendance and were very serious about tardiness. Any student absent more than two times got marked down one letter grade. Same thing with three tardies. Now I don’t know if all schools are like this these days, but UNC’s policies are far more draconian than when I attended undergrad in the 80’s. I don’t remember this stuff being an issue whatsoever when I was in school. And yes, classes were fairly tough, but not nearly as difficult as hers appear to be.
    Pretty sure you missed the joke. It was a jab at UNC’s athletic scandal where they created sham classes for revenue-sport athletes. Unless your daughter plays football or men’s b-ball, I don’t think her academic experience is relevant here.

Hmm...I don’t know about this “goof off and not go to class thing”. My daughter is a freshman at UNC (waitlisted by Duke, ultimately didn’t get in) and that has not been her experience at all. She was a strong student in high school and assumed she was well-prepared for college. Well, UNC has been TOUGH thus far. She took 17 hours and had at least two premed med school weed out classes, so that probably didn’t help. Still, she studies quite a bit, doesn’t party much at all, and is focused on doing well.

Yet, A’s are really hard to come by and even B’s are a real challenge. All of her teachers took attendance and were very serious about tardiness. Any student absent more than two times got marked down one letter grade. Same thing with three tardies. Now I don’t know if all schools are like this these days, but UNC’s policies are far more draconian than when I attended undergrad in the 80’s. I don’t remember these things being an issue whatsoever when I was in school. And yes, classes were fairly tough, but not nearly as difficult as hers appear to be.
    The great tragedy of the UNC Academic Scandal is that it tarnished the great reputation of the flagship state university of North Carolina, a place where many wonderful and bright young minds go to develop. Pre-med can be tough, and a place like UNC is going to do what it can to weed out those that won't work. There are only so many slots available at American medical schools, and UNC has to ensure that it will send students that are prepared to outwork the competition from Duke and many other schools. Good luck to your daughter! I do hope that she chooses to wear something more flattering than that awful shade of blue that is so common in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Pretty sure you missed the joke. It was a jab at UNC’s athletic scandal where they created sham classes for revenue-sport athletes. Unless your daughter plays football or men’s b-ball, I don’t think her academic experience is relevant here.
    No, I got the joke just fine. I guess I’m just reacting more to the many DBR posts over the years that have denigrated UNC as an academic institution. I know it’s good fun and all that. I just have always strongly doubted its veracity.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The great tragedy of the UNC Academic Scandal is that it tarnished the great reputation of the flagship state university of North Carolina, a place where many wonderful and bright young minds go to develop. Pre-med can be tough, and a place like UNC is going to do what it can to weed out those that won't work. There are only so many slots available at American medical schools, and UNC has to ensure that it will send students that are prepared to outwork the competition from Duke and many other schools. Good luck to your daughter! I do hope that she chooses to wear something more flattering than that awful shade of blue that is so common in Chapel Hill.
    Thank you for the thoughtful words. You are spot-on about how difficult it is to get into an American medical school. Better have a backup plan in place, that’s for sure. Though my daughter attends UNC, I will NEVER root for the Heels in any sport, particularly not men’s basketball. There is no way I will ever stop rooting for Duke. My daughter has given me a bit of a hard time about not switching my allegiance to UNC now that she is a student, but I think she understands. There are certain things you just don’t do.

Now let’s go out and beat Syracuse tonight!

No, I got the joke just fine. I guess I’m just reacting more to the many DBR posts over the years that have denigrated UNC as an academic institution. I know it’s good fun and all that. I just have always strongly doubted its veracity.
    I'll be the first make jokes about UNCheat and their academic cheating, etc. But I live here and have 2 girls in high school in Raleigh. We all know UNCheat is a good school with a dirty athletics program. My kids are pretty good students and I doubt either will get into UNC (or Duke) because they are not quite good enough at a sport.

The level headed UNCheat alums that I know are upset about the scandal because they worked really hard to earn their degrees. One of my co-workers is an NC State fan but a UNCheat alum. He took an AFAM class that he thought was a really good class and was not easy. He didn't appreciate others getting unearned grades in a similar class without doing the work.

No, I got the joke just fine. I guess I’m just reacting more to the fact that UNC over the years has denigrated UNC as an academic institution.
    FIFY...and this is the truth. They made their bed and now should have to sleep in it. The shame is that this scandal has been completely swept under the rug in most parts of the country.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    She would get the EXACT same treatment if she played women's basketball or women's soccer!

Veracity?!? What the hell does truth have to do with anything?

unc rode the APPEARANCE of a serious university to multiple NCAA championships in multiple sports, with the athletes needing NO academic integrity. No truth there either.

Now the pendulum has swung, and those now choosing to attend the "university" must bear (should "bare") the stain of that unprecedented streak of ZERO academic integrity.
    Last edited by BD80; 01-14-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Wink

Thank you for the thoughtful words. You are spot-on about how difficult it is to get into an American medical school. Better have a backup plan in place, that’s for sure. Though my daughter attends UNC, I will NEVER root for the Heels in any sport, particularly not men’s basketball. There is no way I will ever stop rooting for Duke. My daughter has given me a bit of a hard time about not switching my allegiance to UNC now that she is a student, but I think she understands. There are certain things you just don’t do.

Now let’s go out and beat Syracuse tonight!
    I told my kids they could go to any college they wanted to, but if they chose UNC or UGA, I wouldn't be paying for it!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Now the pendulum has swung, and those now choosing to attend the "university" must bear (should "bare") the stain of that unprecedented streak of ZERO academic integrity.
    I don’t really buy into a “sins of the father” burden being placed on current and future UNC students. If that works for you, though, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'll be the first make jokes about UNCheat and their academic cheating, etc. But I live here and have 2 girls in high school in Raleigh. We all know UNCheat is a good school with a dirty athletics program. My kids are pretty good students and I doubt either will get into UNC (or Duke) because they are not quite good enough at a sport.

The level headed UNCheat alums that I know are upset about the scandal because they worked really hard to earn their degrees. One of my co-workers is an NC State fan but a UNCheat alum. He took an AFAM class that he thought was a really good class and was not easy. He didn't appreciate others getting unearned grades in a similar class without doing the work.
    LisaMarie14 always seemed pretty bright to me, even if not prime.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I told my kids they could go to any college they wanted to, but if they chose UNC or UGA, I wouldn't be paying for it!
    Speaking of UGA, wasn’t it awesome when Bevo (U of Texas mascot) went after UGA (U of Georgia mascot) with such ferocity prior to the Sugar Bowl? He almost took poor UGA out permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    This is exactly what I've been telling my son for years (at least about UNC). He's now a senior in high school; fortunately I've raised him well and he has no desire to attend Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This is exactly what I've been telling my son for years (at least about UNC). He's now a senior in high school; fortunately I've raised him well and he has no desire to attend Carolina.
    Living and raising kids in the ATL, I got really turned off to UGA by all the rabid fanatics in my work place. Truth be told, I would have had a hard time swallowing writing a check to any SEC school, except Vandy. Luckily I didn't have to endure that!

My comments are going to seem harsh...allow me to apologize in advance if they offend. But, this is how I feel about the lying, cheating, scumbags who have harmed what was one a great institution.

UNC has traditionally been one of the "public ivies" along with Michigan, Virginia, Texas, Cal, and a couple others... public schools that offered some of the finest educations in the country. Those schools took great pride in that distinction and everyone knew a degree from one of those institutions meant the student was bright, hard-working, and well educated.

Carolina chose to throw that reputation to the curb, to spit on it, and ignore the lasting implications for tens of thousands of current and past students all so they could experience a little more success in football and basketball.

If we now mock UNC and show a lack of respect for the quality of the education provided there, that is the fault of the amoral administrators and leaders who allowed that scandal to happen and then refused to show any remorse or responsibility for it. What's more, I believe the students, alumnus, and professors who continue to remain largely silent about the scandal share an almost equal amount of blame. If 10,000 UNC students/alumni marched on the administration building demanding true punishment and accountability for their degrees being tainted, you can bet something meaningful would be done. If hundreds of professors went on strike insisting that the school take real action to purge itself of the folks who allowed this to happen and made meaningful changes to ensure it never happens again, something would be done.

But, these sheep continue to cheer for the sports teams and laugh at the NCAA for not punishing them. I only lament that we cannot do more than make fun of them and ridicule their education. Your daughter is attending a school that does not truly care about education, a school that thinks its basketball and football teams are more important than its educational reputation. If she is inadvertently affected by scorn directed at this formerly admirable administration, well I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. My two sons were looking at schools a few years ago and we ordinarily might have considered Carolina (many in my family went there). But we did not and at least part of the reason is that we believed Carolina's reputation had been permanently harmed.

-Jason "my statement here may seem harsh, but this is the reality of what happens when your school forgets why it really exists and what is really important" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jason, dont sugar-coat your feelings. Tell us how you really feel !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My comments are going to seem harsh...allow me to apologize in advance if they offend. But, this is how I feel about the lying, cheating, scumbags who have harmed what was one a great institution.

UNC has traditionally been one of the "public ivies" along with Michigan, Virginia, Texas, Cal, and a couple others... public schools that offered some of the finest educations in the country. Those schools took great pride in that distinction and everyone knew a degree from one of those institutions meant the student was bright, hard-working, and well educated.

Carolina chose to throw that reputation to the curb, to spit on it, and ignore the lasting implications for tens of thousands of current and past students all so they could experience a little more success in football and basketball.

If we now mock UNC and show a lack of respect for the quality of the education provided there, that is the fault of the amoral administrators and leaders who allowed that scandal to happen and then refused to show any remorse or responsibility for it. What's more, I believe the students, alumnus, and professors who continue to remain largely silent about the scandal share an almost equal amount of blame. If 10,000 UNC students/alumni marched on the administration building demanding true punishment and accountability for their degrees being tainted, you can bet something meaningful would be done. If hundreds of professors went on strike insisting that the school take real action to purge itself of the folks who allowed this to happen and made meaningful changes to ensure it never happens again, something would be done.

But, these sheep continue to cheer for the sports teams and laugh at the NCAA for not punishing them. I only lament that we cannot do more than make fun of them and ridicule their education. Your daughter is attending a school that does not truly care about education, a school that thinks its basketball and football teams are more important than its educational reputation. If she is inadvertently affected by scorn directed at this formerly admirable administration, well I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. My two sons were looking at schools a few years ago and we ordinarily might have considered Carolina (many in my family went there). But we did not and at least part of the reason is that we believed Carolina's reputation had been permanently harmed.

-Jason "my statement here may seem harsh, but this is the reality of what happens when your school forgets why it really exists and what is really important" Evans
    It's also just funny (and sad) that in this world of he-said-she-said claims and viral "causes" that rile up huge groups of people over what often amounts to largely speculative data/theories, in an act that was very well documented and fairly obviously unethical involving young adults and public educations and presumably hundreds of millions of dollars, in the end no one really seemed to care.

Bizarre. But that's all I'll say.

- Chillin

But the “sins of the father” label doesn’t apply to UNC. There is no indication anything substantial has changed. The school didn’t admit there was a fundamental problem, get rid of all of the important players, or suffer any direct consequences. As far as I can tell, the sins are the norm for UNC...

I don’t really buy into a “sins of the father” burden being placed on current and future UNC students. If that works for you, though, more power to you.
    Well, it works for me and I do some hiring at my organization so I guess there is more power to me. I would now strongly question a resume that shows education of any grad from that institution when making a hiring decision. Perhaps my views are not widespread (outside of DBR), but I believe they should be.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I agree entirely with Jason's post, word for word. Just think of what UNC could have done positively and academically with that (20 million or so?) spent instead on legal and other even less admirable actions to lie and bully and cover up their decades of cheating, and that's very possibly just the tip of the monetary iceberg they've blown. But worst of all, are the signals sent of moral leadership and choices made from their very top people - as this has to have gone to the very top, for years - to the citizens as well as students of North Carolina. They could not have done worse, and this should never be forgotten.