Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Austin Rivers - Stone Cold Assassin

merge if you feel like it, but i thought it deserved it's own thread...

i think he's dreamed that shot most of his life....he's immortalized himself in a rivalry for the ages...

austin...thanks for coming to duke, and thanks for dreaming that shot...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    merge if you feel like it, but i thought it deserved it's own thread...

i think he's dreamed that shot most of his life....he's immortalized himself in a rivalry for the ages...

austin...thanks for coming to duke, and thanks for dreaming that shot...
    It was absolutely beautiful... "Jordanesque" if I may, to twist the knife. The joy that young man brought me tonight is almost immeasurable. Sublime!

I can't even count how many times I reenacted the Laettner shot in my driveway growing up ("two [step right]... one [turnaround]...ERRRRR!")... I have a feeling a lot of kids will be doing the same for this one!

The main question is should we just retire Rivers' jersey now, or wait until the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    The main question is should we just retire Rivers' jersey now, or wait until the end of the season?
    OK... I'm as geeked as anyone, but are you serious? Hikery Dickorey Dock should tell you that it takes more tan a buzzer beater to get a jersey retired!
    WWJDD?

I'll assume that's a vote for waiting until the season is over. I GUESS I can see where you're coming from...

I think our own Mr. Rivers moved himself into the Laettner and Redick realm of hated Duke players tonight. According to one of the linked stories, he said, "See y'all!" to the Carolina fans after he hit the shot. I love it!

his lore on IC has flourished...

love it....i hope this goes a long way to helping the team's confidence.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Follow the Leader?

Austin was amazing - even before his historic shot. He came out of the gate ready to play and really set the tone for the first 10+ minutes, which in my mind was a critical portion of the game for this Duke team that has had issues with starting slowly. Then the shot... wow.

My question: Austin has been "one of the leaders" undoubtedly throughout the year, but does this shot now make him "the" clear leader on the court irrespective of his offensive output on a given night? As recently as the Miami loss I think we've felt a leadership void - in terms of mental fortitude and morale - in close games or when we've been behind. Although he's a freshman, he is a Very Special freshman. Can he lead us into March? Mike DeCourcey suggested that Austin has singlehandedly changed the trajectory of our season - can he take that momentum and run with it?

Ar the man

He needs his own praise after all the underserving criticism as he has received on these boards. AR is an elite player that wants the ball in crunch time. He is the best 2 guard in the nation and ive said this from day one.

Thank you Austin for the memory, I appreciate what you do for us. You have already erased anything Kyrie did for me last year in that one game.

Rivers leaves his mark in North Carolina

After what I consider to be a disappointing first half of the season, Rivers has stepped it up the past two games. Granted the first game came in a loss against Miami, he looked hungry. We all know what happened last night scoring 29 points and hitting the game winning shot. After last nights victory, does Duke have what it takes to win it all on April 2nd in New Orleans?

http://welcometothe716.com/2012/02/0...orth-carolina/

Read the article and post your comments, all are welcome.

Go DUKE!!!!!

Remember - he also hit a clutch shot against FSU, the defense just gave up a quick three immediately after. As K said, he was built for this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WT716 View Post
    After what I consider to be a disappointing first half of the season, Rivers has stepped it up the past two games.
    You have got to be kidding me. The kid is a freshman. Because we won last night, I'll say no more. Go DUKE!

Kid is a freshman that was the best player in HS the previous season. Sorry I had big expectations for him and he had not met them until last night.

He just moved up to J.J., Grant, and JKNZL Five Headed Monster (Jon-Kyle-Nolan-Zoubes-Lance) Status IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Austin was amazing - even before his historic shot. He came out of the gate ready to play and really set the tone for the first 10+ minutes, which in my mind was a critical portion of the game for this Duke team that has had issues with starting slowly. Then the shot... wow.

My question: Austin has been "one of the leaders" undoubtedly throughout the year, but does this shot now make him "the" clear leader on the court irrespective of his offensive output on a given night? As recently as the Miami loss I think we've felt a leadership void - in terms of mental fortitude and morale - in close games or when we've been behind. Although he's a freshman, he is a Very Special freshman. Can he lead us into March? Mike DeCourcey suggested that Austin has singlehandedly changed the trajectory of our season - can he take that momentum and run with it?
    He has, at a minimum, become our most important player. K clearly recognizes that, as Austin is averaging 35mpg in conference play - 5 more than anyone else - and has rarely sat at all in the last 5-6 games. The shot, along with the great effort overall tonight, may be what it took establish him as the clear leader among his teammates. He sure as hell was the clear leader last night.

Grantland - Austin's First Miracle

Lurker posting- don't think I stopped smiling once while reading this article.

Austin's First Miracle

In fact, I don't think I've stopped smiling since yesterday at about 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverMeTimbers View Post
    Lurker posting- don't think I stopped smiling once while reading this article.

Austin's First Miracle

In fact, I don't think I've stopped smiling since yesterday at about 11pm.
    I enjoyed it except for the Plumlee angst. Shane Ryan can be good but he always sandbags at least one or two Duke players for some reason.

"As Rivers was mobbed by his teammates, forming a pile on the other end of the floor, Quinn Cook escaped from the bodies and strode over to the student section. He yanked his jersey forward by the shoulder straps, shoving it toward the students."

I love Quinn Cook!

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke View Post
    "As Rivers was mobbed by his teammates, forming a pile on the other end of the floor, Quinn Cook escaped from the bodies and strode over to the student section. He yanked his jersey forward by the shoulder straps, shoving it toward the students."

I love Quinn Cook!
    I love Quinn Cook too but I really hope Coach K reins in that behavior. I have never enjoyed the thrusting of the jersey to the fans of the other team. Just enjoy the win with your team. IMO

Great line about last night

About last night, I think this sums it up well: "Chapel Hill: A. Rivers runs through it."