Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1

    I'd forgotten all about that guy

    ...Jordan Tucker, until I saw the post on the main page. Seems like a nice enough kid, who, reading between the lines, got into some off court issues and decided to make a fresh start elsewhere where he could get more playing time. Best of luck to him.

    Also, since many Duke fans freak the you-know-what out when ever a Duke player transfers they might want to know that while we weren't paying attention, already in the 2018-19 season, according to verbalcommits.com Elijah Burns transferred from Notre Dame, Timmel Eggleston transferred from Wake Forest, Matt Hanna transferred from Louisville, Peace Ilegomah transferred from Pitt, Anthony Oliver II transferred from Clemson, and Ian Steere transferred from NCSU.

    Since people started tracking transfers more seriously, BTW, the numbers are pretty constant each year: 2015 831, 2016 800, 2017 895, 2018 875, 800+ out of about 4700 DI players transfer each year. Point being, transfers are not unique to Duke, nor does Duke have any exceptional numbers of transfers (I did a whole breakdown on that last year as well.)
    Last edited by -jk; 12-14-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks for readability (at least for me)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    ...Jordan Tucker, until I saw the post on the main page. Seems like a nice enough kid, who, reading between the lines, got into some off court issues and decided to make a fresh start elsewhere where he could get more playing time. Best of luck to him.

    Also, since many Duke fans freak the you-know-what out when ever a Duke player transfers they might want to know that while we weren't paying attention, already in the 2018-19 season, according to verbalcommits.com Elijah Burns transferred from Notre Dame, Timmel Eggleston transferred from Wake Forest, Matt Hanna transferred from Louisville, Peace Ilegomah transferred from Pitt, Anthony Oliver II transferred from Clemson, and Ian Steere transferred from NCSU.

    Since people started tracking transfers more seriously, BTW, the numbers are pretty constant each year: 2015 831, 2016 800, 2017 895, 2018 875, 800+ out of about 4700 DI players transfer each year. Point being, transfers are not unique to Duke, nor does Duke have any exceptional numbers of transfers (I did a whole breakdown on that last year as well.)
    I doubt more than a handful of Duke fans freaked out at Jordan Tucker transferring.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I doubt more than a handful of Duke fans freaked out at Jordan Tucker transferring.
    Yep. It was obvious he wasn't ready to play big-time college hoops. Interesting implication in the story that he had trouble (a) showing up on time and (b) following orders (presumably on the court and during practice). He admits he wasn't ready for Duke.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Tucker

    Played 8 minutes today, 3 points, 1 rebound.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Tucker may have not been mature or coachable or whatever, but he did choose Butler, which doesn’t strike me as a program devoid of rules.

    I went in a different direction. ESPN had Tucker as the #44 hs recruit (which the article indicates would make him the highest-ranked recruit in Butler’s history), though 247 ranked him #82.

    I’d guess that he saw that he’d continue to be behind O’Connell in the “reserve wing” category, which was where he was when he decided to leave. This might well last for 4 years—he’d recognize that O’Connell is very good. Tucker would also see that O’Connell, himself, will likely be playing behind a different future NBA starter each year. Being in the rotation might well be terrific for O’Connell, but, if I saw myself as one of the 50 best hs players in the country and was being shown every day in practice that I’m never likely to get quality minutes at Duke... well, I’d probably transfer as well.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    ...Jordan Tucker, until I saw the post on the main page. Seems like a nice enough kid, who, reading between the lines, got into some off court issues and decided to make a fresh start elsewhere where he could get more playing time. Best of luck to him.

    Also, since many Duke fans freak the you-know-what out when ever a Duke player transfers they might want to know that while we weren't paying attention, already in the 2018-19 season, according to verbalcommits.com Elijah Burns transferred from Notre Dame, Timmel Eggleston transferred from Wake Forest, Matt Hanna transferred from Louisville, Peace Ilegomah transferred from Pitt, Anthony Oliver II transferred from Clemson, and Ian Steere transferred from NCSU.

    Since people started tracking transfers more seriously, BTW, the numbers are pretty constant each year: 2015 831, 2016 800, 2017 895, 2018 875, 800+ out of about 4700 DI players transfer each year. Point being, transfers are not unique to Duke, nor does Duke have any exceptional numbers of transfers (I did a whole breakdown on that last year as well.)
    Thanks for data.

    In this one and done era I see references to Frank Jackson from time to time. Refresh my memory about who he is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. It was obvious he wasn't ready to play big-time college hoops. Interesting implication in the story that he had trouble (a) showing up on time and (b) following orders (presumably on the court and during practice). He admits he wasn't ready for Duke.
    What am I missing? I couldn't find an implication in either the home page story or the linked story about Tucker's behavior.

    EDIT: I may have answered my own question--the link now leads to a later story about the game, but by Googling I found a column from the same source about Tucker specifically.

    So never mind.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
    Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.
    President of the Marshall Plumlee fan club!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
    Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.
    I would add Silent G to the list. Also, not sure if Billy McCaffrey falls within your period of fandom, but he was SEC Co-Player of the Year at Vandy. There have been others that have been very solid and made all conference at mid-major programs, but those two and Semi stand out to me.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    I would add Silent G to the list. Also, not sure if Billy McCaffrey falls within your period of fandom, but he was SEC Co-Player of the Year at Vandy. There have been others that have been very solid and made all conference at mid-major programs, but those two and Semi stand out to me.
    Semi was one that got away. McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill. Of course, in a weird never to be repeated occurrence Hill hurt his ankle later that year and we really could have used McCaffrey. I always felt that Gbinije's career at Syracuse was no different that what he would have had a Duke; he was initially a little used bench player there who developed into a solid, if unspectacular starter, but of course, there isn't any way to know.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia

    Point Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Semi was one that got away. McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill. Of course, in a weird never to be repeated occurrence Hill hurt his ankle later that year and we really could have used McCaffrey. I always felt that Gbinije's career at Syracuse was no different that what he would have had a Duke; he was initially a little used bench player there who developed into a solid, if unspectacular starter, but of course, there isn't any way to know.
    As I recall it, McCaffrey and his family believed his best chance to make it to the next level was as a point guard. It was his classmate Hurley, rather than Hill, who stood in his way at Duke (although Hill did have to play the point eventually). Billy did excel at Vanderbilt at point, I believe, but I don't recall him making any kind of splash in the League. Really good contributor on the 91 team.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill.
    Huh? 6'3" 170 lb Billy was competing with Grant for minutes? Billy was a 2 who wanted more time at the point or maybe more appropriately being the primary ball handler. So, the conflict was more with Bobby not Grant. Sorry to repeat jaytoc, your post didn't show up in my feed until after I posted. You are correct...

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
    Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.
    Chase Jeter is having a solid season so far at 'Zona with per 40 numbers of 18.8 and 11.6, not to mention .650 FG%.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    As I recall it, McCaffrey and his family believed his best chance to make it to the next level was as a point guard. It was his classmate Hurley, rather than Hill, who stood in his way at Duke (although Hill did have to play the point eventually). Billy did excel at Vanderbilt at point, I believe, but I don't recall him making any kind of splash in the League. Really good contributor on the 91 team.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It was Billy's family that wanted him to transfer so he could be the primary ball handler. He went on to have a very good career at Vanderbilt. Like all SEC? But he missed out on a 2nd NCAAT Championship. GoDuke!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Chase Jeter is having a solid season so far at 'Zona with per 40 numbers of 18.8 and 11.6, not to mention .650 FG%.
    Plus he's sporting some weird shorts. Saw them again during their most recent game. One leg high, one low-ish.

    But good for him. It's probably not the best atmosphere with the shadow somewhat hanging still over the program but he's giving it his all.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
    Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.
    Jamal Boykin had a pretty respectable career at Cal after transferring, as did Elliot Williams at Memphis. Williams, of course, had family reasons for transferring that didn't relate to playing time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    As I recall it, McCaffrey and his family believed his best chance to make it to the next level was as a point guard. It was his classmate Hurley, rather than Hill, who stood in his way at Duke (although Hill did have to play the point eventually). Billy did excel at Vanderbilt at point, I believe, but I don't recall him making any kind of splash in the League. Really good contributor on the 91 team.
    I blame Dick Vitale. Wasn't he the one that started the talk about McCaffrey's transferring in order to play the point?
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  18. #18
    several of our title teams had players transfer from the previous year and blow up at their new school - McAffrey (sp???) prior to the 92 title, Elliot Williams prior to 2010, and silent G (and to a lesser extent Semi) prior to 2015 - each ended up being solid starters and 15+ppg scorers at their new schools and there were fans who lamented that the loss of each doomed the team to failure before each team won its title...

    the one transfer who may have actually had that impact was, imho, Mike Chappell - who could have given us a tad more quality depth in '99... though admittedly he never really blossomed at Mich St

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It was Billy's family that wanted him to transfer so he could be the primary ball handler. He went on to have a very good career at Vanderbilt. Like all SEC? But he missed out on a 2nd NCAAT Championship. GoDuke!
    If my fleeting memory serves me correctly he visited the same weekend with Hurley on their recruiting visit & both pretty quickly decided to come soon after? If I have that right he knew all along that he was not going to play PG.

    The family lived briefly in my area of the state & the boys played in the league I coached in for 20 years. We played by a draft system but his Dad as the story goes insisted he play for one particular coach & would not allow him to play elsewhere.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Plus he's sporting some weird shorts. Saw them again during their most recent game. One leg high, one low-ish.

    But good for him. It's probably not the best atmosphere with the shadow somewhat hanging still over the program but he's giving it his all.
    Saw that too, it looks funny. Raised enough attention that someone asked him about it. His response?

    "I have no reason, I just kind of do it, it's just my thing."

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN Article: "Wendell Carter is Duke's Forgotten Star"
    By WVDUKEFAN in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM
  2. Paulus forgotten?
    By Rudy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 11:06 PM
  3. Oh man, I had forgotten about this one!
    By FerryFor50 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •