Mel Stottelemyre, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I remember when Mel came up to the Yankees mid season in 1964, I was 10, and pitched them into the World Series. As the article linked says, he won 20 three times and lost 20 once. You have to be a helluva pitcher to lose 20 games in a season, and he was, the best the Yankees had in the mid to late 60's.

RIP Mel. Thanks for the memories.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I remember when Mel came up to the Yankees mid season in 1964, I was 10, and pitched them into the World Series. As the article linked says, he won 20 three times and lost 20 once. You have to be a helluva pitcher to lose 20 games in a season, and he was, the best the Yankees had in the mid to late 60's.

One of the few Yankees I didn't despise...sorry to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Very sad. He is a bit before my time as a player but I remember him well as a pitching coach, and as a huge fan of the Yankees and their history, I have heard a lot about his playing career. He and Don Mattingly were two Yankee greats who were born at the wrong time. The franchise has had almost 100 years of greatness with two 10 year spans of mediocrity and they played during those spans. Stottlemyre was fortunate to get a ring his rookie year then it went down hill for the Yanks while he continued to battle. But he then made a huge contribution to the dynasty of the late 90s as a pitching coach.

From all accounts, he was a good man. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Stottlemyre was fortunate to get a ring his rookie year...
    He also won five (I think) as a pitching coach: with the Mets in '86 and four with Joe's Torre's Yankees.

In 2015 the yankees were dedicating a plaque to Willie Randolph on Old Timers' Day, and Stottlemyre was one of the former players in attendance. Randolph came out to unveil his plaque, then the various old timers were introduced, until finally Stottlemyre was the only one left in the dugout. Turned out, unbeknownst to him, he was getting a plaque too (he and Randolph both wore #30). He was pretty surprised, and pretty emotional when he spoke - it was a really nice moment. RIP.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    He also won five (I think) as a pitching coach: with the Mets in '86 and four with Joe's Torre's Yankees.
    I know - see my next sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

And in '65, Stottlemyre WON 20 games, on a Yankee team that finished 25 games behind the pennant-winning Twins. He pitched 291 innings that year, as a 24-year-old. His other two 20-win seasons were for teams that finished roughly .500.

And maybe the innings thing is related: Stottlemyre is the first player I remember that when he got hurt (at the twilight of his career), the problem was referred to as being his "rotator cuff." Up until then, it was just a "sore arm," or maybe a "sore shoulder."

Mel played for the Greensboro Yankees in 1962 in the Carolina League. Remembered watching him as a kid at War Memorial Stadium in Greensboro and later when he was with the NY Yankees on "the Game of the Week" with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese (and Falstaff Beer!) on TV.
    Mel grew up in central/eastern Washington. I now live in the Seattle area and all the coverage of his passing highlighted what great a guy he was and how people across the state looked up to him.