Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sorry, Bob, for stealing your thunder.
    The thunder is all Jim's.

Punt return duties are on my list of things to keep an eye on.

Defensive back Josh Blackwell could be a wild card here. Blackwell averaged 14.4 yards per punt return as a high-school senior in Buford, Georgia and has tracksters speed.
    I truly like Josh Blackwell as the punt return guy. After attending the 2018 Spring Showcase, I made the following comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Josh Blackwell has great hands fielding punts.
    Looking forward to Blackwell being given a chance to be a special teams playmaker.
    Bob Green

I truly like Josh Blackwell as the punt return guy. After attending the 2018 Spring Showcase, I made the following comment:

Looking forward to Blackwell being given a chance to be a special teams playmaker.
    Our return game has been terribad for a while (after being a strength for a while before that). I just want to remember what it feels like not to be terrified every time the other team lines up to punt.

Not that I am obsessively tracking Jim's football articles but I'm thinking quarterback is next.
    Bob Green

I’ll be satisfied if we can at least have a successful “punt catching before it hits the ground” guy. That would be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I’ll be satisfied if we can at least have a successful “punt catching before it hits the ground” guy. That would be an improvement.
    The fall-off in special teams play coincides directly with a particular coaching change. Our offense also fell off at the same time (different stats tell conflicting stories here depending on what you focus on, but I stand by this), despite having an NFL talent at QB.

Bridge was a disaster as a ST coach, Benedict has done nothing to indicate he is better. Despite being much maligned as OC by myself and others (of course he has his defenders as well, it is not a consensus by any means), Zac Roper did​ seem to do quite well with special teams.

Not that I am obsessively tracking Jim's football articles but I'm thinking quarterback is next.
    Maybe once the rerun season begins.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-cutcliffe-acc

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Obviously not

Okay, now I'm officially embarrassed.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The fall-off in special teams play coincides directly with a particular coaching change. Our offense also fell off at the same time (different stats tell conflicting stories here depending on what you focus on, but I stand by this), despite having an NFL talent at QB.

Bridge was a disaster as a ST coach, Benedict has done nothing to indicate he is better. Despite being much maligned as OC by myself and others (of course he has his defenders as well, it is not a consensus by any means), Zac Roper did​ seem to do quite well with special teams.
    That's a very fair take on things I believe.

The good news is, with DJ to the NFL - Cut was Assoc HC and OC for Tennessee when they won the Natty the year right after Peyton left. Good omen?

... Punt return duties are on my list of things to keep an eye on ...
    A big part of life is figuring out what's important, what we should spend our time and energy on. Bob, if you have this covered, I'm not going to worry about it, and I will focus on other things, like more naps.

I’ll worry about us making one of these bowls:

http://theacc.com/sports/2019/4/24/FB_0424195142.aspx
    Last edited by -jk; 05-10-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarity

SB Nation preview of our Blue Devils:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...chedule-roster

Predicts a 5-7 record in 2019 before snapping back in 2020. A couple key quotes:

Under coordinator Zac Roper’s guidance, Duke threw constantly when ahead of the chains last year; the Blue Devils ran just 49 percent of the time on standard downs, 11 percentage points less than the national average. Harris will shift that balance, but the quality of the receiving corps might determine just how much of a shift we’re talking about here.
    Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown are the proven play makers on offense so Duke must emphasize the running game to play to strength. Yeah, I know I'm a broken record when it comes to carping about too much passing. A healthy Aaron Young will go a long way toward being able to pass the ball downfield but I'm in complete wait and see mode.

The Blue Devils are favored in four of five games post-Bama, though, and it’s imperative to their bowl hopes that they win those winnable games. Otherwise, getting to six wins will be tricky.
    There will be no time to lick our wounds after the opener in Atlanta. The team will need to start fast in 2019.

Six wins and a third consecutive bowl game is doable but this preview is realistic with the 5-7 prediction.
    Bob Green

SB Nation preview of our Blue Devils:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...chedule-roster

Predicts a 5-7 record in 2019 before snapping back in 2020. A couple key quotes:

Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown are the proven play makers on offense so Duke must emphasize the running game to play to strength. Yeah, I know I'm a broken record when it comes to carping about too much passing. A healthy Aaron Young will go a long way toward being able to pass the ball downfield but I'm in complete wait and see mode.

There will be no time to lick our wounds after the opener in Atlanta. The team will need to start fast in 2019.

Six wins and a third consecutive bowl game is doable but this preview is realistic with the 5-7 prediction.
    That was a fun, positive article but I'm going to disagree with the emphasis on receiver turnover. I think we're pretty clearly gaining more than we lost there, especially if Young can stay healthy.

Also, the line about Harris:

Over parts of three seasons, he has completed 41 of 81 passes for 510 yards, eight interceptions, and one pick
    Should probably be eight touchdowns.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 05-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.

There will be no time to lick our wounds after the opener in Atlanta.
    As long as we don't suffer any major injuries I'll be happy.

(I'll be there rooting us on, but not unrealistic about the challenge we face. Crazier things have happened though. LGD!!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That was a fun, positive article but I'm going to disagree with the emphasis on receiver turnover. I think we're pretty clearly gaining more than we lost there, especially if Young can stay healthy.
    [/I]
    I agree....Young and more playing time for Bobo kinda automatically puts us ahead of the last two seasons at this position. Then if we can get something from Garner or Philyaw - Johnson or, dare I say it, Scott Bracey - we could be well ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Then if we can get something from...
    The true freshmen could be in the mix as well. Darrell Harding, Jr. has great size and participated in spring practice as did Eli Pancol. Wide receiver is an unknown but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Bob Green

Former Duke football player Ben Watson is still in the NFL. Here's his statement about his drug suspension: https://twitter.com/BenjaminSWatson/...71713584906243

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Former Duke football player Ben Watson is still in the NFL. Here's his statement about his drug suspension: https://twitter.com/BenjaminSWatson/...71713584906243
    Is there a way to get a continuously readable version of this -- or is it just that my Twitter skills are deficient?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Is there a way to get a continuously readable version of this -- or is it just that my Twitter skills are deficient?
    Found this article on ESPN on Benjamin Watson that quotes extensively from the Twitter message. Thinking he was not going to play again, he went through a ton of medical tests and received a prescription for a "bio-identical" testosterone drug to help with healing a bunch of lingering injuries from his 15-year playing career. As it turns out, he was randomly selected for drug testing. Then he decide to play again, and had to inform the teams that he was facing a four-game suspension.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013