Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I presume my CC was charged today as well. “Only” $300 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I called and moved to the sideline between the 20 and goal line. And saved $200 in the process!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I officially bought my Alabama game tickets today! LGD GTHc!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    See you there! Although DaughterPK is at ‘Bama so she will be the pretty girl with a Duke hat and Alabama jersey in our section. Nothing I can do.
    Buying mine outside the stadium for less than $40 or not going in. And still having fun with an amazing meal.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Buying mine outside the stadium for less than $40 or not going in. And still having fun with an amazing meal.
    Wait, are you and TNT bringing your grills and cooking for us!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, are you and TNT bringing your grills and cooking for us!
    We may be going to assist the Omegas. Crossing fingers.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We may be going to assist the Omegas. Crossing fingers.
    Ooooooohhh! Hope this works out and we'll be there to "participate!" Ymmm!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The college football hall of fame is in Atlanta these days. If you've never been, it is really worth checking out. Very close to the stadium (short walk).

Watching SportsCenter and their evaluation of DJ was a bunch of badmouthing, plus highlights of two plays: a pick against Wake and a pick against UVA (obviously two of our worst games this past season). I'm not totally sold on Jones as a top flight NFL prospect and haven't been since he declared, but sheesh at least give a little balance there and give a "but here's a clip of him doing something really well". It isn't like he doesn't have any​ good film for them to point to.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Watching SportsCenter and their evaluation of DJ was a bunch of badmouthing, plus highlights of two plays: a pick against Wake and a pick against UVA (obviously two of our worst games this past season). I'm not totally sold on Jones as a top flight NFL prospect and haven't been since he declared, but sheesh at least give a little balance there and give a "but here's a clip of him doing something really well". It isn't like he doesn't have any​ good film for them to point to.
    yeah there's not much balance...but that WF game was one of his last as a collegian, and he sure didn't look NFL ready then. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    yeah there's not much balance...but that WF game was one of his last as a collegian, and he sure didn't look NFL ready then. I guess we'll see.
    Too soon. I had almost forgotten that disaster. Almost.

... I think this year is going to surprise people ...
    We have Charlie Ham and we're going 9-3.

Defensive line is up in Jim's position by position look at our Blue Devils:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-acc-football

David Cutcliffe says he wants his defensive line to be more “disruptive” this season...
    Another quality article from Jim Sumner so give it a read and discuss.

I view the defensive line as a team strength but Jim points out on-field performance hasn't matched expectations. This position needs to step up production in 2019.
    Bob Green

I agree with Jim that they underperformed last year. But for the life of me I can't agree with Cut's assessment (yeah, I know, he's the coach) that Rumph is better at DE than LB. First of all we have several other solid defensive ends (Dimukeje and Jordan with much better size) and we have a need at LB. When Rumph got to play quasi LB vs. GT last year, he was terrific...and he has to be considered undersized at DE at 225 lbs, giving away 80-100lbs vs offensive tackles.
    I know he made some plays there last year, but the bottom line is he needs to be on the field and our needs are far more glaring at LB than at DE.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I agree with Jim that they underperformed last year. But for the life of me I can't agree with Cut's assessment (yeah, I know, he's the coach) that Rumph is better at DE than LB. First of all we have several other solid defensive ends (Dimukeje and Jordan with much better size) and we have a need at LB. When Rumph got to play quasi LB vs. GT last year, he was terrific...and he has to be considered undersized at DE at 225 lbs, giving away 80-100lbs vs offensive tackles.
    I know he made some plays there last year, but the bottom line is he needs to be on the field and our needs are far more glaring at LB than at DE.
    I understood why we were giving him a look at LB this spring given our needs there, but I like what he brings at tackle and prefer him there. It also wouldn't surprise me if he lined up at LB occasionally even though he remains at the DE spot.

As far as playing LB against GT, I'll just point out that playing LB against GT is very different than against normal offenses. We don't really have any idea how he would do in coverage there, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Brandon Hill's right knee injury during spring practice exacerbates the situation at LB. Whether or not Chris Rumph plays LB will depend upon the development and performance of redshirt freshmen Shaka Heyward and Rocky Shelton.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Brandon Hill's right knee injury during spring practice exacerbates the situation at LB. Whether or not Chris Rumph plays LB will depend upon the development and performance of redshirt freshmen Shaka Heyward and Rocky Shelton.
    yup, which is kind of my point...we have some serious questions marks at LB, and fewer at DE. In any event he needs to get on the field, because he has a nose for the ball.

You guys beat me to it discussing Rumph:

"Rumph played some linebacker last season and Duke has needs at linebacker. But Cutcliffe insists that Rumph’s play-making abilities are better utilized at end."

Here is an early preseason preview of Duke's football team from College Football News. I found it pretty fair. They are fairly high and confident in Harris taking over for DJ, though they identify the young receivers who need time to develop and our tackles as the weak spots on offense. Their prediction is 6 wins with the usual disclaimers. Anyway, I found it a good read.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019...n-players-2019

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You guys beat me to it discussing Rumph:

"Rumph played some linebacker last season and Duke has needs at linebacker. But Cutcliffe insists that Rumph’s play-making abilities are better utilized at end."
    I'm not sure if Rumph is better as a linebacker or at end, or maybe is only good in limited time, but whenever I saw him on the field he was making plays. I just think they need to find a place for him to get snaps. Move him around, whatever. We need more playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I'm not sure if Rumph is better as a linebacker or at end, or maybe is only good in limited time, but whenever I saw him on the field he was making plays. I just think they need to find a place for him to get snaps. Move him around, whatever. We need more playmakers.
    yeah, he has a nose for the ball. I just worry about his size as a full time DE, especially when we have a couple of 265 lb guys there who are solid.

... Their prediction is 6 wins with the usual disclaimers ...
    As I understand it, we have Charlie Ham and we're going 9-3.

Here is an early preseason preview of Duke's football team from College Football News.
    That is an even keeled article, thanks for the link. I agree the defense should lead the way and the running game has to carry the load on offense.

Money quote:

Duke was 6-1 last season when running for just 120 yards or more, and it’s 12-3 over the last two years when it hits that mark.
    Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown are the proven playmakers so they need the ball in their hands.
    Bob Green