Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I am a little surprised, not shocked mind you but slightly surprised, Jim Sumner's excellent article on the running backs did not spur any discussion. I am going to try one more time:

Jackson is a true junior. He has sprinter’s speed that belies his 220 pounds. With Brown slowed last season, Jackson had a breakout year, leading Duke with 847 yards, the highest total in Cutcliffe’s Duke tenure and the most by any Duke rusher since Chris Douglas in 2003.
    Deon Jackson put up some outstanding numbers last season. In addition to his 847 rushing yards, Jackson tallied 502 return yards and 253 receiving yards for 1602 All Purpose Yards.

Reports I've read indicate Brittain Brown exits spring practice healthy! Brown was slowed by nagging injuries much of last season after rushing for 701 yards as a redshirt freshman in 2017.

The tandem of Jackson and Brown running and catching the ball is something Duke fans should be very excited about.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am a little surprised, not shocked mind you but slightly surprised, Jim Sumner's excellent article on the running backs did not spur any discussion. I am going to try one more time:

Deon Jackson put up some outstanding numbers last season. In addition to his 847 rushing yards, Jackson tallied 502 return yards and 253 receiving yards for 1602 All Purpose Yards.

Reports I've read indicate Brittain Brown exits spring practice healthy! Brown was slowed by nagging injuries much of last season after rushing for 701 yards as a redshirt freshman in 2017.

The tandem of Jackson and Brown running and catching the ball is something Duke fans should be very excited about.
    Any speculation/WAG'ing which guy/s listed below will step-up when the inevitable Duke "unspecified lower body injury" happens?

"About Durant and Hubbard. Durant is a true sophomore who had shoulder surgery this spring. Hubbard is a redshirt sophomore who is recovering from Achilles surgery.

Both are in fingers-crossed mode for the fall.

Redshirt junior Elijah Deveaux hasn’t played much but got lots of reps this spring. Speedy Jaylen Coleman--he’s a North Carolina state champion at 100 meters--will join the team this summer. Duke has shown a willingness to play true freshmen at running back, so he can’t be counted out."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Any speculation/WAG'ing which guy/s listed below will step-up when the inevitable Duke "unspecified lower body injury" happens?
    I believe we are in a wait and see situation. Hubbard and Durant are recovering from injuries and Jaylen Coleman isn't even on campus yet. I'm not avoiding the question it is just I have no idea who will shake out as the number three option. What's exciting is options exists. There is a lot of running back talent on the roster.

Hubbard has a "speedster" reputation but he has had a couple of significant injuries. Knee surgery in high school and now a torn Achilles at Duke. Will his speed survive?

Durant had shoulder surgery with no details being made public, which is okay as fans really don't have a right to be privy to these guys medical issues.

Coleman has size and speed so that excites me and as Jim states in his article Coach Cutcliffe has demonstrated a willingness to play true freshmen running backs.
    Bob Green

I believe we are in a wait and see situation. Hubbard and Durant are recovering from injuries and Jaylen Coleman isn't even on campus yet. I'm not avoiding the question it is just I have no idea who will shake out as the number three option. What's exciting is options exists. There is a lot of running back talent on the roster.

Hubbard has a "speedster" reputation but he has had a couple of significant injuries. Knee surgery in high school and now a torn Achilles at Duke. Will his speed survive?

Durant had shoulder surgery with no details being made public, which is okay as fans really don't have a right to be privy to these guys medical issues.

Coleman has size and speed so that excites me and as Jim states in his article Coach Cutcliffe has demonstrated a willingness to play true freshmen running backs.
    Didn't think you were avoiding the question at all. Don't think any of us have option #3 "planned" yet. Heck, Cut likely has little clue at this time .

Cut is building a pretty competitive program. I sure would like to see Duke have a White-Out game on a Saturday nite with a sold out crowd filling WW. It's a pretty amazing site for Penn St fans !

Jim looks at Duke Receivers:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...avid-cutcliffe

True sophomore Jake Bobo and true freshman Darrell Harding seem the best bets for a breakout.
    A couple of wide receivers plus a tight end are going to have to rise to the occasion. Lots of questions:

1. Can Aaron Young stay healthy?
    2. Can Scott Bracey carve out a role?
    3. What impact will new receivers coach Trooper Taylor make?
    4. Who breaks out?

Receiver is a big unknown headed into 2019.
    Bob Green

A couple of wide receivers plus a tight end are going to have to rise to the occasion. Lots of questions:

4. Who breaks out?

It is a big unknown, but I actually like this unknown more than I liked the "knowns" of the last two years. I think there's a chance...a chance...that Garner shows the ability to take the top off the defense...while Young and Bobo have big years. Bobo has by far the best hands that we've seen, and does better in 50-50 situations than anyone else I think.

Now I'd love for Bracey to blossom, but I've kinda given up on him. If he does, pleasant surprise for me. Philyaw Johnson has shown more sprinter speed than Garner apparently, but he doesn't seem to be as fast as Garner in live action.

Of course, by October...I may be wishing for the ole days

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Now I'd love for Bracey to blossom, but I've kinda given up on him. If he does, pleasant surprise for me. Philyaw Johnson has shown more sprinter speed than Garner apparently, but he doesn't seem to be as fast as Garner in live action.
    A couple of comments on your comments:

1. It is too early to give up on Bracey.
    2. Darrell Harding, Jr looked very good during the Spring Showcase so I expect he will bypass Philyaw-Johnson and Garner.

Of course, my comment #2 is a knee jerk reaction to a 2-hour open practice.
    Bob Green

2. Darrell Harding, Jr looked very good during the Spring Showcase so I expect he will bypass Philyaw-Johnson and Garner.

Of course, my comment #2 is a knee jerk reaction to a 2-hour open practice.
    A/K/A the “Olek Czyż Effect”

Should be a fun year.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It is a big unknown, but I actually like this unknown more than I liked the "knowns" of the last two years. I think there's a chance...a chance...that Garner shows the ability to take the top off the defense...while Young and Bobo have big years. Bobo has by far the best hands that we've seen, and does better in 50-50 situations than anyone else I think.

Of course, by October...I may be wishing for the ole days
    I am concerned that a lot of fans who spent last year trashing TJ Rahming will miss his contributions this year. I would feel a lot better about our receiving corps if he were back.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I am concerned that a lot of fans who spent last year trashing TJ Rahming will miss his contributions this year. I would feel a lot better about our receiving corps if he were back.
    I so hope you are wrong. I think this year is going to surprise people, and more so on offense. I have confidence in QH, and I'd like to think I have it in the guys he is throwing to. Time will tell of course, but I have faith that we are going to be celebrating good things mid-season. Whether we continue to celebrate in December, time will tell.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think part of the lack of reaction is that I feel that running back may be our most talented group. If we have a healthy Brittain Brown back, we may have one of the best 1-2 RB punches in the ACC. Brown's injuries let Jackson blossom. While we are looking to see how emerges as the #3 running back, I'm really excited about our top two guns. The really key is the guys up front blocking for them, and the QB being able to make enough plays so that defenses don't stack the line and key on our running game.

I officially bought my Alabama game tickets today! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I presume my CC was charged today as well. “Only” $300 each.

4. Who breaks out?

This group is the big unknown. It's also interesting to see how they develop with an inexperienced, or relatively inexperienced, quarterback. They can either help Harris (or whoever wins the job) look good, or make life miserable for him. I have a hunch that a couple of these young guys will emerge as players. I think Young is a key. If healthy, he brings experience and known playmaking ability. Plus, defenses may look to target him, which may open up opportunities for the younger players. However, he's rarely healthy. We are expecting (hoping?) Bobo is the real deal and ready to step up. I've been thinking that Philyaw-Johnson has potential. I like what I saw of him in limited action last season, though Jim's comment that he's not a great route runner concerns me. I haven't given up on Bracey, but I'm not also waiting for his emergence. It's really hard to know what we are going to get out of this group, because of the unknown with our quarterback and our offensive line. If we can establish a solid running game, it should give us an opportunity to have effective play action. Assuming Harris is the starting quarterback, I think we're going to see more of the Sirk playbook, but hopefully with more success down the field. The offensive side of the ball is such a mystery for us this year. At least we can use our season opener to get the kinks out.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I presume my CC was charged today as well. “Only” $300 each.
    I called and moved to the sideline between the 20 and goal line. And saved $200 in the process!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    See you there! Although DaughterPK is at ‘Bama so she will be the pretty girl with a Duke hat and Alabama jersey in our section. Nothing I can do.

Although he is not a receiver, I expect RB Deon Jackson to have a significant impact on the passing game. We need to design our offense to take advantage of his mad skills.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

4. Who breaks out?

Young staying healthy would be huuuuge, along with one other guy making significant improvements. (Yep, looking at you, Bracey.)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Young staying healthy would be huuuuge, along with one other guy making significant improvements. (Yep, looking at you, Bracey.)
    I see a three pronged dynamic...Young stays healthy, Bobo gonna do his thang....now we need one of the burners to figure it out...