Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is a great article by Jim. Thanks for directing/suggesting DBR to read it, Bob.
    Coach Cutcliffe and Coach Bridge with optimistic comments on true freshman Jacob Monk.
    Bob Green

If there are problems at the tackle positions then there are problems with the O line
    that translates to problems with the running game...so we have problems before we even start
    by Now we shouldnt have “problems” at tackle BEFORE the season starts....JMHO

FWIW, Penn State QB Tommy Stevens, who has backed up Trace McSorley for the last 3 years, and was thought to be the heir apparent this year, has entered the transfer portal.

He has some tools -- Daniel Jones type size, runs with speed and power, plays hard, and has a strong arm. He has already graduated and has 1 year of eligibility remaining, seems to have a strong goal of playing in the NFL.

Haven't seen any specific schools mentioned for him, or seen indications of interest by Duke, but it might be worthwhile for Coach Cut to check this out.

Ohio State's Fr Quarterback Baldwin to Transfer

His roots are in Texas, but with what Cutcliffe did with Daniel Jones, and others, wouldn't we at least get a look? What say ye?

What happened with our interest in transfer QBs? After the season it seemed like Duke was linked with every QB, then nothing turned out and it went silent. Cut clearly didn't have 100% faith in QH back when Duke was seemingly in the hunt for a transfer, so it seems strange that everything went silent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    What happened with our interest in transfer QBs? After the season it seemed like Duke was linked with every QB, then nothing turned out and it went silent. Cut clearly didn't have 100% faith in QH back when Duke was seemingly in the hunt for a transfer, so it seems strange that everything went silent.
    Maybe he's warmed to QH...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    I never got the impression that Cut was actually heavily interested in anyone...but that fans were.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I never got the impression that Cut was actually heavily interested in anyone...but that fans were.
    I'm of the same impression as CB&B. Fans were excited not Coach Cutcliffe. Quentin Harris will be the starter when August camp begins with back-ups Chris Katrenick and Gunnar Holmberg challenging for the job. Conventional wisdom says Holmberg is the QB of the future. Will the future be the 2020 season or later in 2019? That's the question.

I doubt Duke looks to the transfer market over the summer but that is 100% opinion so who knows.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm of the same impression as CB&B. Fans were excited not Coach Cutcliffe. Quentin Harris will be the starter when August camp begins with back-ups Chris Katrenick and Gunnar Holmberg challenging for the job. Conventional wisdom says Holmberg is the QB of the future. Will the future be the 2020 season or later in 2019? That's the question.

I doubt Duke looks to the transfer market over the summer but that is 100% opinion so who knows.
    I kind of agree with this analysis...and I will predict QH will remain the starter and has a better season that many are expecting.

I think QH will be more than fine, if we can get some receivers to help him on the other side of the pass attempt.

Zac Roper told me a few weeks ago that Duke did not seriously pursue any of the numerous grad-student QB options that were available over the off-season.

I suspect that will not change.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Zac Roper told me a few weeks ago that Duke did not seriously pursue any of the numerous grad-student QB options that were available over the off-season.

I suspect that will not change.
    Did you interpret that as increased confidence in QH or the others....or maybe a team culture decision...or just face value?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Did you interpret that as increased confidence in QH or the others...or maybe a team culture decision...or just face value?
    HS and college QB's these days one with a lot of baggage

I just can't see a grad transfer - or any transfer - stepping in and being the starting QB at this time of the season.
    A question to Bob Green, do you feel the O line will be able to handle the extra duties until the QB gets established with the game plan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    A question to Bob Green, do you feel the O line will be able to handle the extra duties until the QB gets established with the game plan ?
    My answer is 100% based on Jim Sumner's O line article from a week ago. A fantastic article so if you haven't read do so now.
    Coach Cutcliffe expressed confidence we will be strong up the middle with offensive tackle being a work in progress. Robert Kraeling needs to have a breakout season at right tackle and someone has to step up at left tackle either Jaylen Miller if he is healthy or one of the youngsters. The game plan will be critical as Harris will have to go through his progressions quickly and get rid of the ball.

A second key will be a strong running game. Successfully running the ball can take a lot of heat out of the pass rush.
    Bob Green

Jim Sumner article on the running backs:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...evils-football

Duke begins the season with Brittain Brown and Deon Jackson, two of the ACC’s best returning running backs, with four unfinished prospects vying to join the fun.
    RB will definitely be a position of strength both running the ball and catching it out of the backfield.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I just can't see a grad transfer - or any transfer - stepping in and being the starting QB at this time of the season.
    Fact of the matter is, most high profile grad QB transfers are looking for a bigger stage than Duke can provide.

JGH rated at 286 on Kipers Big Board with DJ at 23.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    JGH rated at 286 on Kipers Big Board with DJ at 23.
    Wrong thread.

The draft is being discussed here.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Wrong thread.

The draft is being discussed here.
    My bad thanks.